This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Tinkerbell

Dont ask me why but I feal like disney is pushing tinkerbell.
    I dont get it because tink isnt really as sweet or nice as they are making her out to be. If you watch the movie shes real meen I meen she tryed to kill wendy! I dont know maybe its me but I just dont like tinkerbell she is just way too mean of a charicter and is pushed way too much in the parks.
    what do you think?
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Originally posted by Karalora
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Re: Tinkerbell

I think that's why they released the new movies. To make her seem "nicer". But yea in pan she was a jealous diabolical pixie.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Comment

Pixie Hollow and the new float are both directly advertising the Pixie movie franchise (PH advertises the current movie, balloon float advertises the next one coming out). Tinkerbell has always had an interesting role at Disneyland. From what I have read the whole reason the focus was initially her was that she was a "B" character. They didn't want Mickey attached to the park in the event that it failed. Obviously the park was a success and millions of little girls (and grown women) have grown up as Tinkerbell fans. With each new product Disney pushes they find that Tink's fan base is still there. From pins to purses, tshirts to tank tops... Tink sells. Some products advertise the "cuteness" of a fairy, others mock the attitude seen in Pan.

Personally I see it as another character that is pushed in the park. Honestly it's no different then countless other characters (Hello Nemo, Mickey, Princesses). It's marketing... that's what Disney does.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

disney pushes more than just tinkerbell

Comment

Don't worry...

Comment

that cat is saying that was delicious.

Comment

She actually is pretty sweet in the conclusions of both Peter Pan and Return to Neverland. She saves Peter's life multiple times and guides Jane, Wendy, and the rest of the Darlings home.

Comment

its just in neverland girls like that get jealous.

Comment

Disney's pushing tinker bell? no offense but... you think? :P

Comment

I'm completely burned out on Tinkerbell.
                    Crazy Works For Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Scott View Post
                      Dont ask me why but I feal like disney is pushing tinkerbell.
                      Just notice this, did you? Sorry--only teasing.

I dont get it because tink isnt really as sweet or nice as they are making her out to be. If you watch the movie shes real meen I meen she tryed to kill wendy!
                      I guess it's OK when pixies do that and they don't succeed. I mean, it's just attempted murder--it's not like she killed someone!

I dont know maybe its me but I just dont like tinkerbell she is just way too mean of a charicter and is pushed way too much in the parks.
                      what do you think?
                      Well, they're doing the same thing with Tink that they did with Mickey--belatedly, actually. Mickey used to be quite the rapscallion, you know. He couldn't tell the difference between a farm animal and a musical instrument (and neither could the sound editor, apparently). That's pretty cruel, but I'd say that Disney has managed to clean up his image quite a bit, to the point where most people think that he had always been such a nice guy (have I got some dirt on him--and how!).

I'm not a big fan of Tinker Bell, personally, but I can put up with her because since the 1950s she has always been a part of Disney's (and Disneyland's) image. Mickey is sort of like Walt's alter ego, the main icon of all that is Disney, but Tink is right up there because she supplies the pixie dust that makes Disney magical. Try to guess whether I wrote that with a straight face, but you know what I mean.

And with her being a tinker fairy and all, I'm sure that she's hard at work fixing the Fantasmic! dragon despite the worst efforts of her nemesis, Murphy, the evil tinker fairy! :evil:

Originally posted by Coast21 View Post
                      I think that's why they released the new movies. To make her seem "nicer". But yea in pan she was a jealous diabolical pixie.
                      It was a creative and marketing opportunity. Making her nicer and more sympathetic with the audience was simply a part of that. I would have kept more of her original edge, though--not every character needs to be whitewashed like Mickey was, and it makes her seem more real.

These are hardly the only examples. Belle from Beauty and the Beast, for example, has been transformed from a nerdy, somewhat aloof, outcast bookworm with a lot of fight in her into a motherly character who loves everybody. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but it's not the same character--Disney's marketing department decided to take away her edge, too, in subsequent animated releases because they wanted to have a certain type of character that was missing among the princesses (I guess nerdy girls aren't marketable).

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                      Tinkerbell has always had an interesting role at Disneyland. From what I have read the whole reason the focus was initially her was that she was a "B" character. They didn't want Mickey attached to the park in the event that it failed. Obviously the park was a success and millions of little girls (and grown women) have grown up as Tinkerbell fans.
                      Well, that's possible with regard to Disneyland the TV show, but to my knowledge Mickey has always had more of a presence in Disneyland the park, at least until now (I'm surprised that Tink was removed from Mickey's flower portrait at the main entrance, though).

With each new product Disney pushes they find that Tink's fan base is still there. From pins to purses, tshirts to tank tops... Tink sells. Some products advertise the "cuteness" of a fairy, others mock the attitude seen in Pan.
                      Sure, traces of the original Tink will always remain--anything to get a sale!

Personally I see it as another character that is pushed in the park. Honestly it's no different then countless other characters (Hello Nemo, Mickey, Princesses). It's marketing... that's what Disney does.
                      Precisely, although as I said earlier Tink has long been used as a Disney icon, especially in introductions on TV. The recent marketing push may be new, but like her or leave her, Tink is a "classic." Eventually other characters will be pushed by marketing, both new and existing (Snow White all by herself got a massive push about 15 years ago [they changed her image, too], right before Pooh got his turn).

Comment

I love Tink because she IS fiesty! She's not really MEAN... she's just a bit jealous and strong willed. She doesn't back down. She's a good role model for standing up for yourself. I don't like how they are nicing her up either but what can ya do? i'm happy she's out nad about more!
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Pixie Hollow Game Site

Cars Online
                          Disney Pixar The World of Cars Online - Test Track

They also have ToonTown, Pirates and Club Penguin sites.
                          All of which paying members get added benefits. They are going to push very hard Tinkerbell as she is cute, sexy, and the head of a line of toys, media, online games and merchandise. Remember she tried to kill Windy and she showed wore an outfit that is skimpy even by modern standards. They make a lot of money of their pixel games as well as their merchandising.

I spent about $100 in Club Penguin for added benefits for the game and on another site have spend over $200o in two years. Online games are for kids as well as for adults but can suck the money out of the wallet of a parent.

Comment

It was a creative and marketing opportunity. Making her nicer and more sympathetic with the audience was simply a part of that. I would have kept more of her original edge, though--not every character needs to be whitewashed like Mickey was, and it makes her seem more real.

These are hardly the only examples. Belle from Beauty and the Beast, for example, has been transformed from a nerdy, somewhat aloof, outcast bookworm with a lot of fight in her into a motherly character who loves everybody. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but it's not the same character--Disney's marketing department decided to take away her edge, too, in subsequent animated releases because they wanted to have a certain type of character that was missing among the princesses (I guess nerdy girls aren't marketable).
                            I think they've rounded the edges on a lot of older characters, and made new characters less edgy all together. I actually like the spunky Tinkerbell, and the nerdy Belle, and if you look at older movies, there were a lot of non-PC behaviours and mannerisms in characters. The limits are no longer pushed; everything is pretty sugar coated. From what I hear though, people complain about edgier characters (ie: Jack Sparrow). Thank goodness they haven't ruined Cruella!

Comment

I still don't get the appeal of Tinkerbell, then again my view of her is tempered by the book... where she is murderously jealous and swears like a sailor.
                              The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X