X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] DLRR Black Cat

Hello MiceChatters!

I haven't been able to go out to the park in awhile... 2001 may have been the last time. Anyways reading the thread about hidden things that first timers don't know about, it got me thinking about this figure of a static black wild cat that was on this rock outcropping that you would see on board the train while passing through Adventureland. I always thought that it was odd that this static figure was there all by its lonesome. I'm not even sure if it is still there today. Does anyone know the history or if there is any back story to this figure? Thanks so much!

Re: DLRR Black Cat

I remember that cat! It was a panther or something, I thought it was so awesome. I haven't seen it in forever, though.

Comment

It's been MIA for years now.

Comment

^^^^^

Yeah, seems like a decade by now.

Poor kitty...

Comment

It's been a while since he's been there. The rock outcropping is still there and you can see the 4 pads whenre his feet were attached, not to mention that the speil hasn't changed a bit.

Alas, he is gone. A victim of a refurb and never to return, as I understand it. The story I heard was that its internal frame was wood and that it rotted away. It was suppossed tocome back shortly, according to the conductor, but that was amny many years ago.
          WELCOME ABOARD
          THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Such has been the fate of a number of scenic elements of the Disneyland Railroad as well as the Rivers of America. Hopefully the reason that they're not being replaced is that there is a major refurbishment on the backburner (apparently way in the back) rather than chronic neglect in order to pinch pennies.

Comment

The Panther hasnt returned for many reasons....

1) Due to the close proximity to the train the covering was furry - like the Bengal Tiger in JC... but since it was in the open it would need to be replaced on a regular basis and got expensive.

2) The actual figure may have been lost or destroyed... Pressler destroyed alot of molds that were held at the park for animals... and WDI doesnt want to spend alot of money making new molds... which is the whole reason why UTI hasnt been returned to the Tiki Room even though WDW still has an UTI figure sitting at the Poly Resort as a Display from when Tiki came under "New Managment"

3) The Panther was not fully static it had very limited animation just like the Bengal Tiger on the JC... Pressler also cut the budget to the animation portion of the maintenance dept. ... which is why during the day there is only 1 main animation/sound tech on the West side of the park for all concerns.
              Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Comment

Thanks for the info. For some reason this figure always stood out in my memories of visiting the park as well. I'd assume from the information given here that this figure was probably added around the same time the Bengal Tiger in the JC based on their similarities to one another.

Comment

It totally bugs me that the rock still stands but the black kitty doesn't... now that the rock is bare it looks like the perfect spot to relax and "meditate"... or maybe we can re-enact a scene from the Lion King? LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lolo View Post
                    It totally bugs me that the rock still stands but the black kitty doesn't... now that the rock is bare it looks like the perfect spot to relax and "meditate"... or maybe we can re-enact a scene from the Lion King? LOL!!
                    I liked to think that's where the animators of the Lion King stole the idea from... I mean really, it's pretty close... Panther = Lion, Rock is Identical.
                    WELCOME ABOARD
                    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Does anyone hae youtube or photos of the panther? I checked youtube for train footage and it was not there in 2006. I remember that cat also and think it was something that was pointed out to us by the train's narrator that ahs burned it in my brain.

Comment

the panther has been gone for a long time.... since before 2004, when I started dating a CM
                        Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X