Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it make sense to upgrade a Park Hopper to an AP?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Would it make sense to upgrade a Park Hopper to an AP?

Hi All,

My family of four (two adults, two children) will be visiting DLR this September 14th through 19th. We will be staying in the DLH.

I'm thinking about whether it would make sense for me to upgrade one of our Park Hoppers into an AP on the first day there. It isn't likely that we would actually visit DLR again within twelve months, but it seems like the discounts that come from an AP might make up for this. Specifically, it looks like having a single AP in our party will give us 10% off on most dining and shopping.

If I've done the math right, I can upgrade one of our parkhoppers to an AP for $90. Assuming we would spend $900 or more during our time there, the discount would make the upgrade a breakeven.

Then, on the outside chance that we did come back in a year, the AP could be used for potential discounts on that trip.

Is this how it works? Does this make sense? Can we get the discount for the whole party on just a single AP?

Re: Would it make sense to upgrade a Park Hopper to an AP?

We have Deluxe APs and we don't get a shopping discount, just 10% on dining. If you have a Disney Visa, you can get a discount with a minimum purchase. You don't have to charge the purchase to the card--you just have to show it.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
      We have Deluxe APs and we don't get a shopping discount, just 10% on dining. If you have a Disney Visa, you can get a discount with a minimum purchase. You don't have to charge the purchase to the card--you just have to show it.
      Ok, I see where I got wrong information there. The AP gets a discount at some Downtown Disney shops, but not in the park.

I was also thinking about getting a Disney Visa, if just for the free strollers.

Comment

Pay attention to blockout dates. Your multi-day won't have them, but depending on the type of AP you get, there might be some and if you convert on the first day, you might be blocked out. Look at the AP blockout calendar on the Disney site to see if there are any blockout days during your stay.

Also, there is an AP rate at the DLH that runs during your stay. You don't need the AP to make the reservation (just tell them that you'll have it for your stay) , but you will need it upon check-in or at least during your first day there.

And yes, get the Disney Visa by Chase. All kinds of benny's with it.

Have a great trip!

Comment

And don't forget, the person getting the discount MUST pay, no one else. So keep that in mind(and that involves all discounts specific to one person like AP, CMs, Chase Visas, etc), they are really cracking down on this as people have been abusing the rule.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X