Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

    Can anyone confirm if Dumbo's ears flapped up and down, or moved at all, in it's original form and location? If they did, how exactly did they work? Was it controlled by the rider?

    I have seen two pictures which lead me to believe that they did. In one picture the ears are pointed down, and there appears to be a hinge, and in another picture they seem to be angeled upward.

    I found these via google -- so if the owner (matterhorn) happens to be a micechatter, credit is to you!

    http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/1955z.jpg

    http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/viewmaster4.jpg
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM. Reason: Hotlinking images, against site rules.
    Ryborg

  • #2
    Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

    First off, you should always credit the source. The credit for the second photo should go to: stuff from the park. I read that blog, and matterhorn is the name the blogger puts on his photos. I'm not sure about the first photo.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

      These early Dumbos featured 'ear flap' animation which quickly caused more problems then the effect was worth. The sculptor, Chris Muller, was commissioned to fix the problem by creating new casts from a fixed ear Dumbo with no hinges for movement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

        I thought he did credit matterhorn (who is a micechatter!).

        Anyway, that's really fascinating. I've never heard the flapping ears mentioned before...
        .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

          I remember reading that the ears did in fact used to have a hinging mechanism, but they functioned about as reliably as the new Fantasmic dragon. So with later updates of Dumbo, the simply replaced them with the static ears of today.

          It would be nice if they could try again with modern technology, I'm sure they could get it to work now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

            Originally posted by HatboxGhost209 View Post
            First off, you should always credit the source. The credit for the second photo should go to: stuff from the park. I read that blog, and matterhorn is the name the blogger puts on his photos. I'm not sure about the first photo.
            Yeah, I did credit it the best I could. When I found it via google, I found an image directory -- and could not find the blog. So, cut me a break.
            Ryborg

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

              Originally posted by HatboxGhost209 View Post
              These early Dumbos featured 'ear flap' animation which quickly caused more problems then the effect was worth. The sculptor, Chris Muller, was commissioned to fix the problem by creating new casts from a fixed ear Dumbo with no hinges for movement.
              Thats really interesting! You know your stuff, thanks for the info!
              Ryborg

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

                Originally posted by HatboxGhost209 View Post
                First off, you should always credit the source. The credit for the second photo should go to: stuff from the park. I read that blog, and matterhorn is the name the blogger puts on his photos. I'm not sure about the first photo.
                thanks for nothing
                "Raiders Suck"
                -Walt Disney

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

                  You can find more info at the yesterland page here:

                  The Original Dumbo Flying Elephants at Yesterland
                  Have you PLay'ed today?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

                    Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                    I remember reading that the ears did in fact used to have a hinging mechanism, but they functioned about as reliably as the new Fantasmic dragon. So with later updates of Dumbo, the simply replaced them with the static ears of today.

                    It would be nice if they could try again with modern technology, I'm sure they could get it to work now.
                    Yes, that is the story that is told. The flapping mechanism rarely worked so they switched to the solid ear Dumbo eventually.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Dumbo's Ears in the 60's

                      Originally posted by who-me View Post
                      thanks for nothing
                      Dude, what's your deal? The OP found it quite helpful and he appreciated the information.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X