• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rodolfito
    New MiceChatter
    • Jan 2007

Re: Anyone else hate Autopia?!

Originally posted by techskip View Post
    There are plenty of other areas that I think need more attention but Autopia could use some as well. I think one of the issues is a "lack of purpose". In the 1950's we were building freeways, that was seen as "modern" so kids were dreaming of driving. Now we have freeways everywhere. Everyone dreams of not being in traffic, and while little kids still want to drive... adults are bored stiff.

Inside every adult is a little kid. How about making something no one can do. We've all likely imagined driving on some alien planet or meeting some alien life form. It's futuristic... it's something we currently can't do. Give them 6 or 7 vehicle designs similar to various rovers. Get JPL involved and ask them what different planetary terrain would look like. Suddenly Autopia has mountains, deserts, snow, caves, anything you can dream of. An onboard console tells you which "planet simulation" you are in. If you take a scanner and scan the tag of various Aliens then the console tells you what they are, along with a picture and basic facts... Think BLAB but educational in a way...

My point is give it a purpose... let it support Tomorrowland instead of reminding us of the gridlock of today. There is also a way to immediately tie it into Subs... and Innoventions... it's all a matter of being creative and unique instead of market driven.
    Definitely agree with this! However, I kept getting images of astro blasters pop into my head..what I want to see with Autopia (and tomorrowland in general) are things that are more unique and do allow us to visit places we normally cant or do things we normally can't. Innoventions, Space Mtn., Start Tours, and the subs do a decent job of that but autopia..not so much

Comment

• Phillipnotphil
      New MiceChatter
      • May 2009

Comment

• Treasure
        waitin' to board
        • Mar 2009

I dont hate the ride, however if you were to ask me what attraction needs to be replaced with something new....I would pick Autopia.

Comment

• SolCross
          Comets? Comets!
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Phillipnotphil View Post
          I've actually thought about this, too.

Comment

• Jazziered
            MiceChatter
            • Feb 2009

I rode it once. Once is enough. I can see being a kid and LOVING this ride. But as an adult, I don't want to have to drive anymore than I have to.. lol... I would say keep the ride for the wee ones.

Comment

• SummerInFL
              Relax
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
              BTW, it is 1000 times better than WDW's version: the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.
              I do think it's better but I don't agree with 1000 times better. The off road portion you have is pretty cool but everything else is pretty much the same "experience".

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jazziered View Post
                I rode it once. Once is enough. I can see being a kid and LOVING this ride. But as an adult, I don't want to have to drive anymore than I have to.. lol... I would say keep the ride for the wee ones.
                Ding ding ding ding! We've got a winner.

Would you like a plush Donald or a plush Goofy, sir?

Comment

• DisneyFan28
                  Disney/WWE/Anime fan
                  • Mar 2008

Unless Autopia was the RR cars 17 years ago..then i have no opinion since i never been on autopia before.

if they were then ..its ok.. needs to be updated
                  My Art site
                  http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/

Comment

• DLLocal
                    Sock Puppet
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by vfire View Post
                    Autopia has nothing to do with "Tomorrowland," it's more like "Todayland." And depending on how the auto industry shakes out, it could soon look like "Yesterland" literally. And actually a lot of kids find the cars very frustrating to "drive" since they require 30 pounds of pressure on the pedal to make the cars move. I find it annoying and tiresome to press down that pedal the entire ride, and empirical observation of other kids on the ride looks like they have much greater difficulty.

I don't have a problem with there being a 'kids drive their own car' type of ride. Look at Legoland to see how this ride is done right. Make the cars electric so the ride doesn't literally stink, I feel sorry for the CMs who have to work the ride and breathe in the fumes all day. Remove the guidance track and let guests really drive (it works fine at Legoland with the kids), and make the "freeway" futurisitically themed with more to look at than an old popcorn machine, a rusty Toad vehicle and patches of mud. Disney really can and should do better; Autopia is an embarassment to the park. Legoland puts Disney to shame with a driving ride that is richly themed with even working Lego traffic lights that the kids learn to obey.
                    I saw your thread bashing autopia on Legochat not cool man

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                      Iron-Clad Allie
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                      Ding ding ding ding! We've got a winner.

Would you like a plush Donald or a plush Goofy, sir?
                      I'd like one of each please. I'll hold my plushy Donald in one hand, my plush Goof in the other ... and let the steering wheel do it's own thing.
                      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                        Iron-Clad Allie
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLLocal View Post
                        Meh... Autopia is fair game. Although, I must admit it is my favorite bumper car ride.
                        To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• SolCross
                          Comets? Comets!
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                          Although, I must admit it is my favorite bumper car ride.
                          :bang:

Comment

• PEZZ Lightyear
                            PEZZ in the Fez
                            • Aug 2006

It stinks. Literally.

The fumes and getting bounced from side to side and the fact that I have to go two times in a row (once for each of my twins) makes me try my best to avoid the Autopia area. Although one of the best bathrooms is right there...
                            How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
                            :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

• Matterhorn Boy
                              Yeti Enthusiast
                              • Jul 2005

Even though I love the smell of those fumes, it would be nice if the cars were replaced with zippy electric models that actually went at a decent speed. To avoid collisions, just have them operate on a computer controlled system that slows the cars down automatically when they get too close. I'm sure such a system could be devised.

And I have to say, this seems like the wrong ride to drag space and aliens into. Truthfully, we haven't made much progress in exploring the solar system since Walt's time, and most of the original concepts for Tomorrowland are sadly still pretty futuristic. I think we need to imagine future transportation on Earth before we start thinking about freeways on planets we haven't even set foot on.

Comment

• sunrider
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2007

well most of us (at last me) am all for upgradeing it..just like the FNSV its for the kiddies..nothing wrong with that...now once cars land opens.. i think autopia will almost cease to exist really....
                                "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

• SolCross
                                  Comets? Comets!
                                  • Jul 2009

The thing about the Cars Land E-Ticket attraction is that you don't actually get to control the vehicle, whereas Autopia you do, so that will still be a draw for the kids. It will, however, get rid of all the people who want a FAST CAR RACE RIDE, since that's what many guests seem to think Autopia is supposed to be like.

Of course I'm sure Autopia will still get people on accident, thinking it's Cars Land, only to be sadly mistaken.

Comment

• LittleImagineer
                                    Future Imagineer! =D
                                    • Jun 2009

I like it. It brings back wonderful memories. Like the first time I drove it all by myself and I still couldn't properly reach the pedal and see the road and my car would frequently come to a stop because I didn't have enough leg muscle to reach the pedal and drive. Then my arms ached because I had to stretch really far the entire time I drove. Haha! I wouldn't wait a really long time for it but I love the freedom of being able to drive! Maybe they should perk it up somehow h
                                    sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                                    Disney is my life <3
                                    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                                    Future Imagineer <3
                                    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

• vfire
                                      The line's too long...
                                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DLLocal View Post
                                      You got the wrong guy, I don't do Legochat.

Comment

• Hank Hill
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Apr 2006

Autopia is an absolute waste of valuable space.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                          Adventure First, Ad Last
                                          • Mar 2006

Well I dont think we'll see a new ride here for like 10 years but it would be cool to change it to a better ride system like hover cars or something from the future and more fun for the family and not just kids.
                                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X