• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PragmaticIdealist
    • Jun 2005

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Originally posted by sediment View Post
    Good for one or two people. Any more than that and a car (with one annual parking pass) will be more optimal. Depending on distance and MPG, of course.

When is that last train out of Anaheim on the weekend, again?
    I see 5:26PM to Oceanside, and 3:31PM to Union Station.
    And 5:35PM from Orange Station to San Berdoo.
    Providing later and more frequent service depends on increasing ridership. $10 for unlimited travel is such a great deal, I can imagine spending most of my weekends with Metrolink, especially as more car sharing and connecting transportation becomes available at the destination stations.

I can imagine several times in the past when this weekend pass would have come in handy. Being able to stay overnight and to board and re-board trains at will are valuable conveniences.

Comment

• sediment
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Overnight stays would be required. Too bad Monday morning is not included.

Hawking a pass that strands passengers seems to be a very short-term solution to increased ridership.

I'm just asking for a late-night train in each direction. If you schedule it, they will come.

I'd also like a late-night, express bus to the Blue Line, since the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red Lines run late every night.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2005

Before “Subway To The Sea,” There Was “Streetcar In The Sea”: Creating Artificial Reefs Off The Los Angeles Coast In 1959 | Primary Resources

Before “Subway To The Sea,” There Was “Streetcar In The Sea”: Creating Artificial Reefs Off The Los Angeles Coast In 1959

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

LAT: High-Speed Rail Should Follow I-5, Start in LA or SF

The LAT also takes offense at construction starting in the Central Valley, even though the federal government has said construction must start next year if we want to keep its money, and construction closer to LA or San Francisco is a ways off as routing issues (near LA) and lawsuits (near SF) must be dealt with first. Regardless, the paper writes that officials should begin "renegotiating terms with the federal government and building the initial segment in a more populous area, such as between San Francisco and San Jose or between Los Angeles and Anaheim... such renegotiation could jeopardize federal funding and delay construction, but the needless haste created by Washington's arbitrary deadlines have resulted in mistakes that could be extremely costly."
          LAT: High-Speed Rail Should Follow I-5, Start in LA or SF - High-Speed Rail - Curbed LA

Comment

• sediment
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Too bad, LA Times.
            1. Building has to start somewhere soon, building in nowhere has to be done eventually, and building in nowhere can be done soon. Therefore, building in nowhere is optimal to building nowhere.

2. I don't really care which route is finally chosen from Bakersfield to LA. I see nothing wrong with building both, except for the costs. It is a choice that can be delayed without delaying the rest of the project.

3. That said, it's still too expensive. Costs need to be cut 50% or more.

...but the needless haste created by Washington's arbitrary deadlines have resulted in mistakes that could be extremely costly..."
            Not really. Again, that middle part needs to be done in order to connect the two cities. The order of construction isn't that critical, when using reason. (Non-reasons include, "we're better than Middle Of Nowhere, so we should get the first section.") Real reason: The logistics are ready in M.O.N.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2005

Good point, but if the entire system can't be built in HSR 1.0, wouldn't it be better to have it run from LA to San Diego and have passengers on it's shortened line than have Modesto to Bakersfield built and fail for lack of ANY riders.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                Good point, but if the entire system can't be built in HSR 1.0, wouldn't it be better to have it run from LA to San Diego and have passengers on it's shortened line than have Modesto to Bakersfield built and fail for lack of ANY riders.
                The Los Angeles Times editorial board is completely off-base, and it is spreading false and misleading information.

The line between San Francisco and Los Angeles must be built completely before it ever carries passengers. This initial section is only a place to start construction.

Incidentally, there's growing support to get the L.A.-San Diego line built faster than originally planned because all the research shows that this city pair will be the most successful, after the Northeast Corridor. Interestingly, L.A.-Inland Empire (within the L.A.-San Diego section) is projected to be the next most popular. The Brookings Institute also rates LA.-Phoenix, which would also use the same line, exceptionally high. And, if DesertXpress breaks ground soon and if the I-5 routing is selected for L.A.-San Francisco, L.A.-Las Vegas, too, may use this line. So, this section really does need to be finished sooner rather than later.
                Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-21-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• sediment
                  Banned User
                  • Jan 2005

I agree with PI. Which part can start construction today? Not LA-SD. So, LA-SD doesn't get started to be built. Simple as that.

These guys have about 30 years before I kick. They better hurry up.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

Do it for sediment, and the kids.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Monorails Gain Ground as a Solution to Surging Mass-Transit Needs - WSJ.com

Has the Monorail's Future Finally Arrived?

It's gaining traction as a solution in areas where mass-transit needs are surging

Comment

• sediment
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

"Single-track"? Double-track for the win. Unless they are looped. (No, not vertically!)

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2005

/\
                          Do it for sediment, and the kids.
                          I mean, I thought monorail chatter was dead, and then I get this printed, in the Wall Street Journal, no less. Did someone answer my "Mass Transit 2 Disneyland" prayers?

Hahaha Sediment for County Transportation Planner...

Why don't you design where monorail lines should flow and make sure you connect Union Station to Disneyland. Or is HSR going to be sufficient?

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Is this the first step in the groundbreaking for Wilshire Gayley, the 29-story Robert AM Stern building that'll either be a 250-room luxury hotel or 144-unit condo tower? We're waiting for a phone call from developer Kambiz Hekmat to confirm. This building's momentum does look good--Metro officials altered their plans for a Purple Line subway station near the Stern structure so the building's footprint and the station didn't bump up against each other. A rep for Metro tells Curbed in an email: "The planned tower at the corner of Wilshire and Gayley would be located over the Westside Subway Westwood/UCLA (Off Street Station) Alternative. Metro is now focusing its efforts on the Westwood/UCLA On-Street Station. A subway entrance is planned to be located immediately adjacent to this tower on UCLA’s Lot 32/36."
                            Curbed LA : The Los Angeles Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

Comment

• sediment
                              Banned User
                              • Jan 2005

Why don't you design where monorail lines should flow and make sure you connect Union Station to Disneyland. Or is HSR going to be sufficient?
                              HSR will be sufficient, eventually. But HSR should not be a rail service that stops every ten miles or so. Union Station, Anaheim, Oceanside, San Diego. At most.

Monorail lines can go alongside or over the current Metrolink lines. Metrolink needs to be replaced with more frequent train service. Monorail is the best and cheapest way to get that.

Other projects that should be easy to do:
                              1. Extend Green Line to Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs Metrolink station. North from current terminus along The 605 to The Imperial Highway, then East along The Imperial Highway to the Metrolink. Google says it's 2.7 miles. From there, monorail along the Metrolink line could be created.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2005

Final Word Coming on Crenshaw Line Undergrounding?

The Source reminds readers that the transit agency's board is scheduled tomorrow to discuss two elements of the Crenshaw Line, a new light-rail train that will get people closer to LAX than the Green Line does--it'll still be a mile away, but a people mover may make up the difference--and that's supposed to break ground this year or next.
                                Curbed LA : The Los Angeles Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

Comment

• sediment
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jan 2005

Peoplemover breaking ground this year or next?? WOW! (No sarcasm, I'm actually surprised.)

Just wondering what route it will take? Does it go around the loop or just to a central location (near the iconic restaurant)? I think parking at a distant lot and PM'ing it in would be great. And, I think parking at a stop along the Crenshaw Line and Light-Railing it to the PM. Now, getting Crenshaw line all the way up to Hollywood would allow me to park my car at NoHo.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2005

The Crenshaw Line connects to the Expo Line, which connects to the Red Line, which connects to the Orange Line.

The knee bone's connected to the leg bone...

Just take the FlyAway from Van Nuys.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                                      • Jun 2005

We should have monorails all over L.A. Spending two to four times as much on a subway does not make any sense.

Think. We could have four separate lines for the price of one if the residents along Wilshire and in other areas would abide a Disneyland-style system. Disney's trains are not obtrusive at all. And, they are actually interesting to observe in the Las Brisas Courtyard from the Grand Californian's rooms there.
                                      Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2005

They want to pour massive amounts of cement and cast long dark shadows over Wilshire.

Have you seen what the designs looked like? Plus people want to stay on the same train.

Again, EL TRAINs. It would be popular in English or Spanish, just pull out of the tunnel and grade up to an elevated line, it would A) preserve the cement contractor relationships the politicians have going and B) allow continuity for passengers and C) allow more miles to be built than if we tunnel.

But, according to "corridor density", Wilshire is the prime location in the US for a subterranean system, which moves fastest.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                                          • Jun 2005

I'd prefer having four parallel monorail lines from Union Station to the sea that are all traveling in the sunshine than one expensive underground line for the mole people. This is Los Angeles. Sunlight here is important.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X