This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker VII

Green I-Beams...hmm... that makes me think of certain park that everyone praises:
    http://www.thirdamendment.com/DisneySeaNautilus.jpg

Comment

You're not going to end the issue by showing a beautiful weathered copper ornate walkway near some impressive rockwork and a full-sized copy of a sub so well designed that people adopt its name as their own. That pretty picture will just remind people how basic our stuff is by comparison.

DisneySea eye candy is not the cure to GBOD (green beam obsession disorder). I have a picture which will distract people with a case of GBOD. Easily upset people should shield their eyes.

Newer buildings next to the older plasticland: now there's something worth kvetching about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
        Green I-Beams...hmm... that makes me think of certain park that everyone praises:
        Different context, different execution, different presentation.

Not even close to Paradise Park, and it's this kind of argument that makes me fear for some of the MiceChatters here who are reaching so hard to justify the ongoing half-heartedness in DCA: With all that reaching, y'all might pull something.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

The green, combine with the copper rosettes, is clean, classy and beautiful. It is a nice fit for the area. That's it.
          The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

It's a park. Don't most parks have that same green?
            Galactic Member

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
              Different context, different execution, different presentation..
              same green beams.

Not even close to Paradise Park, and it's this kind of argument that makes me fear for some of the MiceChatters here who are reaching so hard to justify the ongoing half-heartedness in DCA: With all that reaching, y'all might pull something.
              Are you trying to take over for Al Lutz? It ain't gonna work. There's is only one Al Lutz in this world. He was DCA's worst critic and even he seems to be doing what the rest of us are: waiting until construction is done before we label it as a half-hearted attempt

Originally posted by spacejockey View Post
              It's a park. Don't most parks have that same green?
              Yes. Besides the teal that was there before, I don't know any other color besides dark green that would work.

Yellow/Orange too bright and would clash with everything.. Blue wouldn't look right w/ the blue water in the bay. Black is too dark. I guess brown or beige would work but they'd be boring and flat colors... Dark green gives the right pop of color without being too distracting.
              Last edited by nonob88; 10-06-2009, 11:58 PM.
              - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
                Paradise Pier lacks these details and the new additions don't seem to be along the same lines. It looks very nice, pleasant, and pretty. But it doesn't feel real, and that's what Disney theming means to me.
                They are not done yet. It's fine to talk about how we are feeling about things, but to compare a work in progress to completed parks is ludicrous. It makes no sense. It's like comparing the just laid plaster of the Sistine Chapel ceiling to the finished Mona Lisa. You simply can't. One is done, one is still a work in progress. Yes, the green beam has issues, but it's a small part of a whole project that is still months away from being done. And possibly even YEARS from being done as I'm sure they have plenty they still want to add and touch up and do after this first round is done. So I have no problem with people stating their opinions about it, but to pass judgment based on how completed Disney projects look is a bit much for me. Sorry Professortango, I don't mean to be rude to you, yours is the just the most recent in a long line of judgment passing and comparisons I don't mean to sound rude or harsh to you. Just the issue in general. But I do agree with you, as it stands now, it is lacking in those details. We have to wait and see what, if anything, gets done to it now or in the future.

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
                well, there may be some divers who would feel that diving and fixing stuff at the DLR would be a dream job.
                This is very true.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Do we have any clue when the water is going back in the "Ocean" I heard it was suppose to be filled in September but now it seems like it wont be filled till at least November.
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

That would be all well and good if the beam in question actually had rivets and such. Also, notice the rust and aging on the Mysterious Island's metal structures. That's part of what missing from the Pier beam. Aging gives scenic elements a sense of history and permanence. The beam, as well as the lighthouses, look like they were built yesterday, which doesn't agree with the rest of the theming. Everyone keeps claiming how the Pier is supposed to be so specifically set in the 1920's, but that means it would've been built around the turn of the century for the architecture style to make sense. Than means age, at least a little bit of it.

I'd also like to point out that the structures in MI are meant to be all metal, not the odd combo of metal with wood supports that the viewing area extension is showing. I just don't know that that type of construction would've existed back then. What makes sense about building that way?
                    Formerly kaliwolf.

Comment

Steel Pier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This pier was built of wood with steel underpinnings. I imagine there may have been other, similar combinations.
                      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

A picture that shows everything that is wrong with the current stuff in DCA and illustrates the complaints exactly.

In TDS, you have a natural color, 'texture' (through the rivets), aging, and it actually meshes with the entire concept of the structure. Here we have sterile, artificial looking, completely unnatural color, completely flat paint and surface, and no blending with the structure at all.

Looking at TDS shows just how bad this element is today.

Which is why I continue to hope... this is just the primer/base coast.
                        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Me, I'm not reaching to justify DCA. It seems more like you are reaching to crush California Adventure. You see green beams and make a huge deal about it. First of all, what is wrong with green? Then, why make a huge fuss about it? Have you seen the finished Paradise Park? Maybe it will look good! You don't know. Save your judgement and spare this huge debate. I guarantee there will be another chance when it's finished. You let the lack of wrap-around boardwalk kill the Fun Wheel for you, now are these green beams going to kill World of Color for you? I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but I think green looks better than just plain old iron. I'm sure if Disney built a pier amusement park in the late 1800's and operated it during the 1920's, they would have painted their railings green. They've been painting their railings since 1955. In some cases, you can't spare thematic consistency for what looks right. Thematic inconsistencies are all over every Disney theme park. Take a look around DisneySea and find some things you don't like about it. You probably won't notice anything at first, but I'm sure it's still filled with its share of minute, minute, minute flaws, and I'm sure you won't care. This is why you should save your judgement. You're judging the entire Paradise Pier while it is entirely under construction, half-finished, blue wall-infested, in the middle of painting, hardly any landscaping, and an empty concrete lagoon filled with show equipment.

Rant over.

Comment

I guess if the thing that people are gonna whine over the most is the color of a beam then the DCA re-do must be going pretty well overall.
                            I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Comment

I'm 100% on board with what you just said.
                              sigpic
                              "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                                Me, I'm not reaching to justify DCA. It seems more like you are reaching to crush California Adventure. You see green beams and make a huge deal about it. First of all, what is wrong with green? Then, why make a huge fuss about it? Have you seen the finished Paradise Park? Maybe it will look good! You don't know. Save your judgement and spare this huge debate. I guarantee there will be another chance when it's finished. You let the lack of wrap-around boardwalk kill the Fun Wheel for you, now are these green beams going to kill World of Color for you? I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but I think green looks better than just plain old iron. I'm sure if Disney built a pier amusement park in the late 1800's and operated it during the 1920's, they would have painted their railings green. They've been painting their railings since 1955. In some cases, you can't spare thematic consistency for what looks right. Thematic inconsistencies are all over every Disney theme park. Take a look around DisneySea and find some things you don't like about it. You probably won't notice anything at first, but I'm sure it's still filled with its share of minute, minute, minute flaws, and I'm sure you won't care. This is why you should save your judgement. You're judging the entire Paradise Pier while it is entirely under construction, half-finished, blue wall-infested, in the middle of painting, hardly any landscaping, and an empty concrete lagoon filled with show equipment.

Rant over.
                                Sharing one's opinion on one green beam does NOT mean people are slamming the entire Paradise Park. Stop reading things that aren't there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                  Which is why I continue to hope... this is just the primer/base coat.
                                  I was hoping that as well.......until they placed those circular, protruding designs on the surface of the beams. Now I'm not so certain they're going to do anything further with the them.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but did anyone else notice that the new lanterns at the Lucky Fortune Cookery are the EXACT same lanterns from the Teacups.....just with some Asian symbols on them?

Thanks to "Original D" Matt for the pictures -----> 9/29/09 Page 2: Disney's California Adventure
                                    sigpic

Comment

Wow! Good eye Reader. I would have never noticed the same lanterns.
                                      Galactic Member

Comment

This is probably to satisfy my own curiousity, but if anyone else is interested in how the Little Mermaid ride is going to fit into that space, here ya go:

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Macro;1055598885]You're not going to end the issue by showing a beautiful weathered copper ornate walkway near some impressive rockwork and a full-sized copy of a sub so well designed that people adopt its name as their own. That pretty picture will just remind people how basic our stuff is by comparison.

DisneySea eye candy is not the cure to GBOD (green beam obsession disorder). I have a picture which will distract people with a case of GBOD. Easily upset people should shield their eyes.

WHEN ARE THESE UGLY SHOPS GETTING A FACE LIFT!!!
                                          WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X