X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker VII

Originally posted by Reeder View Post
    This is probably to satisfy my own curiousity, but if anyone else is interested in how the Little Mermaid ride is going to fit into that space, here ya go:

I think someone else made maps a while ago, too. Is there much debate as to whether or not it can fit?

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post
      I mean, c'mon we're not asking you to visually redesign PP's color scheme, but if you think it's so horrible, what do you think would work better?
      Maybe people know their limits... a concept everyone should consider. Or maybe they aren't interested in a debate about their preference.

Why must everyone be a designer to be able to enjoy or not an element of the park?

Not everyone 'wants to be an imagineer when I grow up'.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        Maybe people know their limits... a concept everyone should consider. Or maybe they aren't interested in a debate about their preference.

Why must everyone be a designer to be able to enjoy or not an element of the park?

Not everyone 'wants to be an imagineer when I grow up'.
        Nobody's asking you to be an Imagineer, we're talking about paint color on railings. If you're going to complain about something, what's the big deal in providing a suggestion or an alternative when asked? Is this a discussion board or some kind of Imagineer exam?

Comment

Nobody's asking you to be an Imagineer, we're talking about paint color on railings. If you're going to complain about something, what's the big deal in providing a suggestion or an alternative when asked? Is this a discussion board or some kind of Imagineer exam?
          I'll say it again because you keep ignoring it

You don't need to have a better solution to not like something. We are the consumers of the product - we don't need to suggest better solutions to be allowed to appreciate the product or not.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I think someone else made maps a while ago, too. Is there much debate as to whether or not it can fit?
            I've heard many people make the comment, "I wonder how that ride is going to fit into such a small space." I've thought the same thing. But as one who doesn't get to the park as often as I'd like, I'm unable to see it in person. I've heard, from those who DO visit the park frequently, that the space is deceiving to the eye.
            sigpic
            "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

Comment

I'll say it again because you keep ignoring it

You don't need to have a better solution to not like something. We are the consumers of the product - we don't need to suggest better solutions to be allowed to appreciate the product or not.
              I agree with this. Fair enough. But shouldn't a consumer wait until the product is complete before passing judgment?

Comment

Originally posted by Reeder View Post
                Apparently, according to you, its an Imagineer exam...
                LMFAO really? Where did I imply this?

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                  Yes, you did. I'm going to have to turn you over to the Design License division of MiceChat now and they'll decide what punishment you should suffer. Possibly limiting your views of MiceChat to the "it's a small world 24/7" thread for a week.
                  Oh don't get me started on IASW! The facade color is appalling!!! BUT DON'T ASK ME TO PROVIDE AN ALTERNATIVE, I REFUSE!

Comment

sometimes i really do not understand the direction people take on what is acceptable and what is not. a few years back when turtle talk was being added to DCA some wondered what an australian turtle had to do with California. When midway mania was being added many argued that the characters really out of place in the pier setting and again what did they have to do with California. Now turtle talk is open in TDS American waterfront and everyone is praising the addition. somehow it does not matter the turtle is still australian. soon Midway Mania will be added to the same area in TDS and it will have the carnival facade once destined for DCA that some considered guady and ugly.

It will be interesting to see how many people all of a sudden are ok with it because its in TDS. it won't mater the characters will also be from a different timeline and that they are PIXAR it will still be ok because the OLC said it was.

yes we could argue that the additions in TDS have gotten a better visual treatment than similar ones in other state side parks but i just find it interesting that minor details are brought up when things are added to DCA that get ignored when done in the asian park. Will it matter to anyone that PIXAR toy story characters will be represented in the American waterfront as much as it mattered when they were added in DCA? Did it matter much that a PIXAR based computer generated turtle was added to a period specific land in TDS? could it be that some people are just so upset with what Eisner gave Anaheim as a second gate that no improvement will ever make them happy?

I am guilty of being a bit disapointed with the beam being left visible. I was hoping for more than green paint. I would have loved it if they had added wood or any other texture to cover it up but i do know that many of the same brilliant people that worked on the beautiful TDS park are working on the DCA makeover. That alone gives me the confidence to know that they are very capable of knowing what works and what does not. If they went with the exposed beam then there must be a creative reason for doing it and will wait till it is all done before i pick it apart.
                    Last edited by Baloo; 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancr78 View Post
                      I agree with this. Fair enough. But shouldn't a consumer wait until the product is complete before passing judgment?
                      Sure before forming a final conclusion, I've only commented on the current state and said countless time I'm hoping its not done yet. Let's recap. Click on the quote link to see how many times I've said just that

Which is why I continue to hope... this is just the primer/base coast.
                      Which is why I said I'm still kind of holding out for change...

[...]
                      I just don't think it looks finished compared to everything else and am hoping its not done yet. I mean you put all that effort into the pylons holding the thing up in terms of making them look like wood, weathered, etc.. and then you have this super pristine, tall fat, green painted beam? It just doesn't mesh.. which is why I hope it's not done yet.
                      It really doesn't add up.. which is why I say I'm holding out that its not done yet.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I didn't know talking about the color of railings on a discussion board required anyone to be a designer. Did I miss the part where you had to have some kind of license on file with MiceChat?
                        You're insisting we invest time in trying to come up with an alternative. Is that not trying to design something that works?

I thought this was a discussion board, again, not some kind of exam where anything you say is being scrutinized by evil DCA overlords
                        Ironic - considering it is you that is insisting people have the discussion YOU think they should be having.

I find it kind of funny how people are quick to judge and complain, but when confronted, back away immediately.
                        Really? I've stated in detail why my opinion is this way. That is not backing away.
                        It's flat and boring... kind of like iron red primer on steel. I think the exposed flat steel here is boring.
                        The reality is its the underside of a platform, it's really minor. I just don't think it looks finished compared to everything else and am hoping its not done yet. I mean you put all that effort into the pylons holding the thing up in terms of making them look like wood, weathered, etc.. and then you have this super pristine, tall fat, green painted beam? It just doesn't mesh.. which is why I hope it's not done yet.
                        What I've backed away from is having a conversation I have no interest in having, which is to have me suggest a color design for Paradise Park. I have no interest in laying out suggestions that I have no confidence in or desire to invest in. So as to the 'evil DCA overlords' why don't you stop trying to force people into discussions they have no interest in?

And yes - that is the standard you are trying to enforce by chasing people who post an opinion and then try to force them in another direction.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Anyone think Disney was inspired by this pier? I bet this picture has been posted by someone.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orian_pier.jpg

I personally think the green in that scenario makes that pier ugly, but the pier itself is ugly to begin with.
                          "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
                            Anyone think Disney was inspired by this pier? I bet this picture has been posted by someone.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orian_pier.jpg

I personally think the green in that scenario makes that pier ugly, but the pier itself is ugly to begin with.
                            IMO... not really. Remember, the park isn't a pier nor is it even attempting to be.

But hey, I'd take that type of iron work over our boring steel beam still.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

thats a cool picture, i like the industrial look of that thing. looking though several sites of the old coney island and other seaside parks i noticed they used to use that style quite often.

Mickey funwheel would had looked interesting if it had taken that direction, they might have even been able to make maliboomer work in the area if they took that approach with that attraction

Comment

I'm not sure if I like that brown color.

Comment

Blue, red, green, green, white, white, black...
                                  vut ever happened to just plain old lavender blue dilly dilly dilly dilly...dilly

Comment

Why do people complain about the green (and about people complaining about the green)? It's called World of COLOR for a reason!

I just hope we wont get the same amount of posts on blue, red, yellow, and purple!
                                    Need magic?

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
                                      sometimes i really do not understand the direction people take on what is acceptable and what is not. a few years back when turtle talk was being added to DCA some wondered what an australian turtle had to do with California. When midway mania was being added many argued that the characters really out of place in the pier setting and again what did they have to do with California. Now turtle talk is open in TDS American waterfront and everyone is praising the addition. somehow it does not matter the turtle is still australian.
                                      Holy random Batman. Has anyone even mentioned Turtle Talk? It's nice how you assume we must all be completely fine with it, but I guess it must make some feel better to think of the "complainers" as fickle and hypocritical. How do I feel about Turtle Talk in TDS? I think they did do well with theming it properly (from the small pictures I've seen mind you), but it's still a forced theme for something that isn't worth forcing into a park. It makes me worried about the direction TDR might be headed, I see far to many clones with little to no changes to them in the pipeline. That's a marked change, and if it goes down that path, it's very hard to come back from. If TDR can't do it right, I think there's little hope for the rest of the Parks.

soon Midway Mania will be added to the same area in TDS and it will have the carnival facade once destined for DCA that some considered guady and ugly.
                                      Except that the artwork for that facade only shows one element (the giant Woody head entrance) from that previous concept. No giant Buzz, Rex, circus tents, or other ridiculous giant toy props. Everything else looks like lovely whimsical Coney Island-esque architecture. The type the Pier makeover should've gotten, but that they've mostly shied away from (everything looks a bit like Del Coronado rip offs instead, and yes I'm still sore about the fancier lighthouses). Even the giant Woody head is very similar to elements that existed in Luna Park, or Pinocchio's Pleasure Island for a Disney reference.

Whether it all fits into the style of AW is a matter of execution. As nice as TSMM is in DCA, it failed in its execution. Instead of just allowing the Toy Story characters to exist as part of the colorful makeup of a whimsical pier, they bizarrely try to transport you under Andy's bed within the ride. It's a disconnect that didn't need to exist, and was done with no transition whatsoever. So now we have a ride filled with tacky oversized toy props, that completely don't agree with the land outside. And then we get patronized with insults to our intelligence with comments like "The toys fit since you win toys at carnival game. Only now the toys are the game. It's ironic, see?!"

If the TDS version can avoid those pitfalls, it will be fine. If I see one oversized toy prop though, exterior or interior, it will be a fail in my opinion. Also, before you comment about the existence/intrusion of characters, Pixar or otherwise, on the perfect AW theming, I'd like to point out McDuck's Department Store. It's existed since the opening of the park, and shows that in the world the land creates, the characters (at least some of them) coexist with humans just fine.

I am guilty of being a bit disapointed with the beam being left visible. I was hoping for more than green paint. I would have loved it if they had added wood or any other texture to cover it up but i do know that many of the same brilliant people that worked on the beautiful TDS park are working on the DCA makeover. That alone gives me the confidence to know that they are very capable of knowing what works and what does not. If they went with the exposed beam then there must be a creative reason for doing it and will wait till it is all done before i pick it apart.
                                      Saying that people who worked on TDS are also working on on DCA tells us very little. We don't know what they actually did for the project, it could've been Mermaid Lagoon (my least favorite area of the park, beautiful exterior, but just a nicely lit plastic kiddieland inside, great Mermaid show though, and some nice details throughout) for all we know. Are they concept designers? That's possible, since the concept art has been very nice (mostly), but that doesn't mean it's being executed well. Maybe rockwork specialists? They'll need their best artists for Carsland. Or perhaps they're all working on the attractions. Retheming a badly designed land isn't the most glamorous position after all. We just don't know. Having your name attached to a project that turned out great doesn't translate to that person being pivotal in realizing that greatness, it just may mean that they didn't do anything to really screw things up. Tom Fitzgerald also has his name attached to TDS, you really want to trust him with DCA? To blindly trust with no basis other than "some of them worked on TDS" is naive at best.

We do know that regrettably, the Kirk brothers (Steve was the creative lead for all of TDS, and they both are former WDI geniuses) are not working on it. Neither is Tom Thordarson, the major creative force behind Journey to the Center of the Earth. Among other WDI and former WDI heavy hitters, Tony Baxter is busy twiddling his thumbs at DL (not his fault, but the money just doesn't seem to be flowing for the projects I'm sure he has in mind); Eddie Sotto is designing upscale restaurants (he seems happy from interviews, but... sigh, to me it's a waste); Joe Rodhe apparently almost left the company, but now they have him on the Ko Olina project, and I think some Hong Kong expansion things as well. I realize that there is a ton of talent that don't have such recognizable names, but I would be a bit more confident if at least one of them was attached. So we have Bob Weiss. That's nothing to sneer at by any means, but there have been rumors that he is to lead the Shanghai project. I could easily see him being distracted by that, if not pulled away all together. So who has or will have the creative vision here? Who will be the master planner that sees the big picture for DCA and can tie all the small details together to make them all agree. I don't see it yet, I hope I will.
                                      Formerly kaliwolf.

Comment

Ugh can we please get started on a new DCAPT thread?
                                        I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Comment

I wonder if the debate/arguement would be better suited for.. not there? Some people will like the beam, some wont (Although I think the problem with the green beam was never the green, but more the beam). Some already like DCA, some already hate it, some dont yet have a clue. There is no need to draw on the past and other examples here as to why someone else is wrong, even if those examples exist. People have very rooted opinions on this topic and no one is going to sway anyone else's opinion, so lets track the changes and save the endless debates for other threads devoted to the topics?

Would we be happy if I made a thread for Green Beam Debate?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X