• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desertmommie3
    New MiceChatter
    • Aug 2009

[Question] Disneyland or Disney World?

This is much in advance as my family is not planning on going on our vacation until March 2010. But we are kind of stuck on which park to visit? Our children are 9, 7, & 5. We can afford a 6 night stay at either of the parks (we are staying in the park), but DL is a little cheaper. We can also drive to DL opposed to flying 5 people to DW. I have only been to DW as a child so I am not sure of the differences between the 2 parks. Which do you think my children would enjoy more? Would DW be too overwhelming? Also, which hotels at each place is the best? We are looking to stay at a moderate resort.
  • Homan
    MiceChatter
    • May 2009

Re: Disneyland or Disney World?

If you can have 4 full Days, do Disney World. As a Resort vs, Resort comparison there is no competition. There is just so much to do at disney world. However because you can drive to Disneyland, You may want to limit this trip to Disneyland and DCA and save some movie. For their first trip they will love it and there is so much to see at both park. Also, in many people's opinion, Disneyland park (the actual park) is the best them park in the United States. It has so much history.

My advice is go do a Disneyland trip next year and get your kids familiar to the rides and the parks. If they loved it plan a 2011 or 2012 trip to Walt Disney World. Just know what ever time you plan to spend at disney land times that by three for Walt Disney World. The parks there are much bigger and there are 4 of them. The experiance is jsut very different.

ALso just know there are cheap hotels at Walt Disney World on property, let me know if you have any questions, but the plane flight will be atleast $300-$400 per person from Cali

Comment

• stevo505
      Banned User
      • Jan 2007

A 2012 trip to DCA will be a lot better because DCA will be completed with its expansion. It will be very cool. Maybe do WDW 2010 and Disneyland/DCA 2012.
      Last edited by stevo505; 08-13-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• LittleImagineer
        Future Imagineer! =D
        • Jun 2009

Disneyland! Disneyland! Disneyland! Sorry, I've grown up with Disneyland so my opinion will always be Disneyland. I went to WDW in December and I personally found Disneyland more magical. I think your kids will enjoy Disneyland better. They probably wouldn't be able to understand Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Most of the fun rides there are for people over 48 inches too. Disneyland is just soooo fun and magical. I think your kids will defintely appreciate Disneyland way more. WDW reminds me of a big junk yard....no offense! It's just not as good as Disneyland and I hate the stupid layout of the MK there. Disneyland is way more Disney. DCA is currently undergoing a huge rehab that won't be completed for many more years but I don't think that should stop your stay and I don't think it will really efect your stay. Most of the rides that are shut down in DCA currently are the carnival type rides, not the family fun type. I definitely recommened Disneyland and DCA and this is coming from a kids point of view (I'm pretty young. Just a few years older than your oldest child) WDW does have more to do, but it's not anything you can completely enjoy or understand until your older
        sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
        Disney is my life <3
        Thank Walt for all he did! <3
        Future Imagineer <3
        Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
          Seasick
          • Oct 2007

The poor economy has resulted in better deals at WDW than usual, and they're being offered at times not traditionally available in the past. If you can get one of the deals (free days, free dining, etc.) I'd consider WDW for 2010 as those same deals may not be around come 2012 or whenever.

If you only care about the rides, either destination is a good choice imo. If you want a more relaxing, more immersive, more "magical" vacation, then I'd go to WDW. Disneyland may be the best theme park out of all the different choices, but staying on property in WDW, completely shut off from the outside world, is a great feeling.
          My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• Homan
            MiceChatter
            • May 2009

Originally posted by stevo505 View Post
            A 2012 trip to DCA will be a lot better because DCA will be completed with its expansion. It will be very cool. Maybe do WDW 2010 amd Disneyland/DCA 2012.
            Great point, yeah I totally AGREE!!!

Comment

• Homan
              MiceChatter
              • May 2009

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
              The poor economy has resulted in better deals at WDW than usual, and they're being offered at times not traditionally available in the past. If you can get one of the deals (free days, free dining, etc.) I'd consider WDW for 2010 as those same deals may not be around come 2012 or whenever.

If you only care about the rides, either destination is a good choice imo. If you want a more relaxing, more immersive, more "magical" vacation, then I'd go to WDW.
              Also there are rumors of WDW doing another 7 for 4 deal pomotion late winter next year. This can save you a LOT of money.

Comment

• LittleImagineer
                Future Imagineer! =D
                • Jun 2009

Oh, and DW could defintely get overwhelming for kids and there is not a lot of Disney in some of the WDW parks. Also, a good hotel to stay at in Disneyland is the Disneyland Hotel. It's good to look ahead of time when pices ae cheapest. I've never stay at the Grand Californian (it's pretty expensive), but I've heard it's nice. We use to stay in the Paradise Pier hotel like 14 years ago (I don't remember though because I was baby) and apparently it's not the greatest. We usually stay off property in a Hilton or Marriot or something but the Disneyland Hotel is really awesome too if you are able to get a room
                sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                Disney is my life <3
                Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                Future Imagineer <3
                Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

• OC2Epcot
                  DLR WDW HKDL SHDL
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LittleImagineer View Post
                  Oh, and DW could defintely get overwhelming for kids and there is not a lot of Disney in some of the WDW parks.
                  Not sure what Walt Disney World parks don't have a lot of "Disney" in them. I think all the parks can be enjoyed by kids and adults and are very Disney. If you have the time, and money, I would say go to Disney World. Especially if you haven't been since you were a kid. There have been many changes since you were there last. Also, as much as I love Disneyland, as a whole, Walt Disney World has more to offer and it just a great experience for kids. Even when I go back to WDW as an adult I still remember walking the streets with my parents when I was younger. Come to Disneyland/DCA in a couple of years when many of the upgrades have been done.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Coheteboy
                    Starcruiser.. crash crash
                    MiceChat Moderator
                    • Sep 2005

Here's my honest unbiased opinion:

Disneyland for the ease of it and for these reasons:

-You can drive there which is cheaper.

-If you have a car, you can even stay off disney property for an even better value (if you wanted).

-You don't need to do Disneyland Resort for the entire length of your stay. You can do 3-4 full days at Disneyland resort and have a great time on property. The other days you can use to explore the rest of what Southern California has to offer.

-You've never been to Disneyland

-Park hopping at disneyland requires 1 minute of your walking time. Park hopping at Disney World may take half an hour to 45 minutes between parks.

-Disneyland has two parks vs WDW's four, but there's pro's to that too. If you count it on attractions alone, WDW maybe has 12-13 more attractions than Disneyland Resort. That's not a whole lot considering how much they charge per day. (it also means less need to park hop)

-2010 is Disneyland's 55th anniversary, a major milestone for Walt's original park.

Shall I continue?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                      Beach Expert
                      • Sep 2006

I know of at least one person who refuses to go to WDW simply because park hopping can take so much time and effort.

Especially with children, the DLR is much more compact and if you need to go back to the hotel for a rest it is never that far away.

Comment

• Dlandclub33
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jul 2008

Disneyland in my opinion! Disneyland they will enjoy so much better then the magic Kingdom in my opinion.

Comment

• RenMan
                          back in Austin
                          • Mar 2005

I haven't been to WDW recently enough to have an informed opinion.

If you go to DL, however, the Candy Cane Inn and the Howard Johnson's (both on Harbor) get good reviews and are both relatively inexpensive and close to the front gates.

Comment

• desertmommie3
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2009

Thank you all so very much for your opinions. I really do like the idea of going to DW in 2010 and then DL in 2012 when the updates are done. I didn't know they were expanding. That is a really good idea. I also want to thank the younger people who offered their opinion since we are really going for the kids (mostly anyway). I think our decision at this point is going to based on how much time my husband is willing to take off work and what kind of deals we can get. I am excited either way! I can't wait. Thanks again

Comment

• HSM Fans
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2008

I say Disneyland. It's is much closer.

Also, I have found that all of the major rides at WDW can be found at both parks.

BTMRR-can be found at DL
                              Splash-can be fopund at DL
                              Space-can be found at DL
                              Soarin'-can be found at DCA
                              TOT-can be found at DCA
                              Rock and rollercoaster- can be found at DCA (California Screamin' is also much better)
                              TSMM- can be found at DCA
                              DINOSAUR-can be found at DL (Indy is much better)
                              Expedition Everest- I think it compares to the Matterhorn which is better
                              Khali River Rapids- GRR is much better at DCA
                              Only Test Track, Mission:Space, the Safari, and SSE can only be found at WDW
                              Also, I have found that you can get many more characters and autographs at DL. At WDW, I have found huges lines just waiting for Pluto.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                MiceChat Moderator
                                • Sep 2005

Hmm... i am wondering how 2010 will look at DCA.

Silly Symphony Swings will be open. World of Color will be open. Little Mermaid still under construction. The main entrance will be under construction beginning when?

What's new in Walt Disney World? nothing. But since you haven't been there in awhile, everything is new to you so there's something about that. But there's also something about Disneyland too.

If you take your kids to Disneyland first, they will have a great time. Then when you go to WDW, they'll see the bigger castle and the more parks.. it will be like a step up for them (even though it really isn't).

I'm sure it'll be fun either way.

Comment

• hurricanefreak
                                  Really????
                                  • Jan 2009

Each Resort is different and magical in its own way
                                  Follow me on Twitter @hurricanefreak

"hope for the best plan for the worst"

Comment

• Theophilus Carter
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by desertmommie3 View Post
                                    Thank you all so very much for your opinions. I really do like the idea of going to DW in 2010 and then DL in 2012 when the updates are done. I didn't know they were expanding. That is a really good idea.
                                    DCA will be receiving a world class water show- World of Color- in 2010, a Little Mermaid Dark Ride in 2011 as well as a new entrance plaza-Buena Vista Street- and in 2012- Carsland, with a 'test track' type ride-Radiator Springs Racers- a rethemed 'flying saucers' attraction and a ride called 'Mater's Junkyard Jamboree'. Rumor also has it that Disneyland will be receiving Star Tours II in 2011.

So yeah, I have to agree with the others that said go to Disneyworld in 2010, and then plan for a trip to Disneyland in 2012 to enjoy the new land and multiple new E-ticket attractions.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                      MiceChat Moderator
                                      • Sep 2005

I'm almost afraid of recommending someone come in 2012 though. It's going to be a mad house!

or at least... I hope it is.

Comment

• JamesDusenberry
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Feb 2008

Disneyland all the way!

Walt Disney World is really fun and really big... but it lacks a certain magic you feel at Disneyland. I could go on for pages about that, but I wont...

And a long 6 day trip to Disneyland will be wonderful, I've never stayed there that long, but always wished I could!

I'd suggest the Grand Californian Hotel, it is a little pricier than the other Disney hotels, but it's well worth it! And if you're going to be there for almost a week, and it's a big family vacation... you gotta stay at a Disney hotel and not just one of the local hotels on Harbor Blvd. Grand Californian is attached to DCA and has it's own private entrance into the park from the hotel, and if you get a room on that side, you'll have a view of the park, and if it's on the other side, you'll have a view of Downtown Disney/Disneyland, so it's good either way. It's built in a classic Northern California craftsman style from the turn on the 20th century. The main lobby has a HUGE open area with a GIGANTIC wooden chandelier, there's a grand piano where a guy sometimes plays, and there is a fireplace that's about as big as a Hummer. And not just one fireplace, but one inside the main lobby, and one outside too! Complete with big wooden rocking/normal chairs to sit in and relax, and you can even have room service bring you food in front of the fire. There's also a big field you can play with the kids on and a descent pool.

And staying there for 6/7 days means that you can really take your time and enjoy all the DLR has to offer. And if you wanted a WDW trip where you could have enough time to see and do everything or most things there are to do there, you'd have to stay there probably at least 2 weeks or more to experience it all. But at DL, with 6 or 7 days there, you can spend time re riding lots of Fantayland rides like I'm sure your kids will want to do. You can check out the fireworks and fantasmic one day, check out the electrical parade in DCA the next. Have one day only at DL, then have one day only at DCA, then a day where you maybe start at DL and end at DCA, and a day when you start at DCA and end at DL, and some days when you can check out Downtown Disney most of the day... eat at a few of the great restaurants there, and if you're in the mood, you can even catch a movie or something while you're there . So because it's not as big and you'll have plenty of time there, you'll be able to ride everything many times, and also be able to go take naps or just window shop during the day or sit and people watch on Main Street without feeling like you're wasting precious time.

So... yeah... I say Disneyland because it's closer, it has a Magic that WDW just doesn't have, and you can have a nice, relaxed, quality time trip at Disneyland with a week there, as opposed to an either rushed WDW trip; trying to do as much as possible ... or a more relaxed WDW trip, where you'll probably only be able to check out less than half of what WDW has to offer. Trust me, I've taken a few week long trips to WDW, and it's no where near enough time to experience all it has to offer.

Go Disneyland! Woo Hoo!
                                        Last edited by JamesDusenberry; 08-13-2009, 04:21 PM.
                                        Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                                        -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
                                        -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
                                        -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
                                        -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
                                        -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
                                        -Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X