Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Last night before I went to bed I had a random thought about Tomorrowland and its pretty sad current state. We know something should be done with the former PeopleMover tracks. We've read about Star Tours getting a facelift sometime in the near future.

    This brings me to an idea I had for when Tomorrowland "goes under the knife". I got to thinking about how cool an all-new, digital Disney planetarium would be for Tomorrowland. There could be different shows cycled out throughout the year as happens at many planetariums. This would keep the attraction fresh and "new" throughout many, many years. The seats could even have slight motion to them for when they'd zoom through the cosmos and galaxies of the universe.

    This planetarium in Spain could definately be the inspiration for how the outside of said new planetarium could look.

    What do you all think?

    <Joe>

  • #2
    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I like that idea that would be sooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

    AEROSMITH FTWW!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

      That is so smart! I can't believe no one has said that yet! Bye bye Inoventions! Hello space!
      "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

      SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

      Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
      YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
      (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

        Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

        One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

        Multiple shows would be great, too.
        "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

          Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

            this would be cool...and innoventions or the magic eye would be perfect for this, the magic eye might have an edge because they can house spfx..innoventions would take a while to gut...but i do love the idea
            "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

              I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

              Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                Originally posted by Semiquaver View Post
                Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

                One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

                Multiple shows would be great, too.
                You should check out the Griffith Observatory if this is a concern. They totally re-did the observatory with a new projector and new seats.

                Gone are the old seats and they now have seats with ample neck support which recline back in order to view the ceiling. They are very comfortable. Although it is sad in a sense to see the old seats go, as they were the same ones that were in Rebel Without A Cause.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                  I love planetariums. I love the concept. I'd be in there all the time. As Data said, with new CGI techniques, it could show off just how amazing our universe is.

                  Oh and they could do some Led Zeppelin laser shows now and then too! I kid, I kid.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                    Its a great idea

                    which means Disney won't be doing it

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                      I think a state-of-the-art planetarium in Tomorrowland would be exactly right. It would be even better if it took over Innoventions.

                      What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                        The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

                        It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

                        Originally posted by okerry
                        What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?
                        The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

                        Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.
                        .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                          Yeah, unless there's characters added to it, there's absolutely no point to doing this. If you want to see a planetarium, head up to Griffith Park. If you want to see Disney characters, you go to Disneyland.

                          Maybe if you added Stitch and come interactive element you could pull it off. Maybe have stitch lead you on a mission to shoot at some aliens or something.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                            Originally posted by Semiquaver View Post
                            Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

                            One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

                            Multiple shows would be great, too.
                            One way they could make the seating better is by making it more like theatre seating. The California Academy of Sciences planetarium in San Francisco is like this. You still feel as if you're surrounded by stars and planets, but you don't have the neck issue.

                            Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                            Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!
                            Awww, thanks.

                            Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

                            Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.
                            I love the idea of having a dark ride underneath the planetarium! Maybe they could put a Wall-E dark ride there?

                            Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                            Its a great idea

                            which means Disney won't be doing it
                            Ha ha, awwww, come on now...think positive!

                            Originally posted by BoogaFrito View Post
                            The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

                            It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

                            The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

                            Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.
                            Yeah, I thought about the possibility of the show becoming too stagnent. That's why I thought if they had various different shows throughout the year this could help bring more people in.

                            I do like your idea about not calling it something like Tomorrowland Planetarium. Maybe Tommarium? No, that sounds cheesy. LOL I do agree something with a less "educational name" would help bring more children in.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

                              I wish something like this wouldn't need characters to be a draw, but it probably would. How about Ludwig von Drake? I can't think of a better Disney character for giving such a presentation. And that way, it would be funny in its own right.

                              "And here we have...the Crab Nebula! Mmm, anyone got any melted butter? No, wait, that's lobster. Is there a Lobster Nebula? No? How about a Shrimp Teppanyaki Nebula? No? Well, then, moving on..."
                              Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X