Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] A Long Forgotten Space Mountain Effect?

First, to clear things up- This is not a sad attempt to "steal the thunder" of the "Long Forgotten Haunted Mansion effect" threads. This thread will most likely be dead next week.

That said, the reason I started this thread was because I had many, many questions about Space Mountain's, well, long forgotten elements. Ever since I read about the history of the ride, questions like this have entered my mind:

There was an "infinity" mirror and light effect on the second lift that was supposedly turned off early. What was this, and why did this happen?

At the top of the third lift, originally there was going to be a stunning planetarium-like projection of a supernova. It was turned off because it was too bright. What happened to it? Is the projector still there? (Note: This was the 1977 version)

The Peoplemover tunnel that travels inside the mountain used to give riders a view of the ride. What happened to it? Are there pictures of it in the current incarnation?

Are there pictures of anything from the old queue?

I have a bad memory when it comes to the 1998 version. What was the Fastpass route? I could have sworn that guests would enter through a door next to the current distribution area and come to the space port via the "Exit" passage in the load area seen directly before descending the ramp.

There used to be fiber optic stars in the "windows" in the load area. Why were they turned off, and are they still there?

And finally:

This little number...

Was seen spinning in all its bright red lit glory during soft openings, and at a survey some smart guest asked, "What was that big glowey thing in space?"

So I ask, did anyone see this in operation? Are there pictures?

And these are my little Space Mountain effect "reminders". Discuss.

Re: A Long Forgotten Space Mountain Effect?

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
    I have a bad memory when it comes to the 1998 version. What was the Fastpass route? I could have sworn that guests would enter through a door next to the current distribution area and come to the space port via the "Exit" passage in the load area seen directly before descending the ramp.
    pre where you enter now
    I only know of one other to space mountain
    The escalator.

If I'm not mistaken
    where FP Distribution is now is where you entered for the Mars attraction (but that was so long ago, I not sure how correct I am)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Comment

why isn't that comet ever lit up is what I'm wondering too? They removed the satellite for something that nobody can see?

Comment

It was supposed to be used for the day/night coversion of space/rockit mountain, but that never worked out. So it just sits there now.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
          The Peoplemover tunnel that travels inside the mountain used to give riders a view of the ride. What happened to it? Are there pictures of it in the current incarnation?
          I've never seen any photos of it, but I believe the tunnel is still there, probably with the windows blacked out somehow, to prevent light leaking in from the outside. Not really positive, though.

Are there pictures of anything from the old queue?
          Fortunately, yes! There are some on disneyfans.com, such as on this page and this one. Also check out the Images page on spacestation77.com, where you can find some under Disneyland > v 1977 > Inside.

I don't have any information about the asteroid, but I will say this...LONG LIVE THE GEODESIC SATELLITE!

Comment

I believe the fiber optic stars, along with the windows into the actual ride, were removed from the queue during the last refurb in 2005. I seem to remember there being windows that allowed you to view the ride and see rockets going by every 10 seconds or so and hear riders screaming to build anticipation. Either the windows weren't totally clear, or because of the darkness in the ride, you wouldn't be able to actually see riders or any details of the ride, just white blurs flying by.

I rode Space Mountain the first day of the soft opening, and remember the asteroid spinning and being grey colored at that time. I think it was only illuminated by blacklights during the Rockit Mountain promotion, if I remember correctly. Is the asteroid lit at all anymore? Now that you mention it, I don't think I've noticed it for a long time now.

Comment

The asteroid is still there, it just isn't lit. I remember seeing it when I went earlier this year.

EDIT: Yep, I checked a Youtube video of the ride with the lights on, and it's still there at the top of the lift.
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPFgtfW_yM&feature=related"]YouTube - Space Mountain Disneyland Lights On[/ame]
              (Not my video)

Comment

I remember the asteroid. I was little before the Space Mountain refurb and hated going on it (I loved the ride, but hated the dark!) so I can barely remember it, but I do recall the asteroid! It was the only thing I liked about the ride. Haha.
                sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                Disney is my life <3
                Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                Future Imagineer <3
                Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

Alright, here's the tough nut:

What exactly is a "space mountain"?
                  "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post

Its a mountain in space.
                    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

Comment

haha. I never thought of that before. I wonder if space has random space mountains floating around...yeah, how did they come up what that name, anyways? Weren't people confsued at the time? Why would you name a ride "Space Mountain" anyways? Haha.
                      sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                      Disney is my life <3
                      Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                      Future Imagineer <3
                      Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

I remember a long time ago somebody posted the photo of the people mover track on mice chat but I'm not sure where to find it
                        :thumbup: I'm back MiceChat:yea:

Comment

It's not the same as Witch mountain which we have escaped to, returned to and now raced to
                          Quote by Al:
                          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                          -Al Lutz

Comment

I alsways pictured space mountain as a huge teleporter, that sent people to space station 77, hence why it has spikes, and a central spike pointing up to the sky into space. The teleportation happens instantly as you enter the interior, underneath the red lights, with the picture of space station 77, welcoming you aboard.

Comment

I miss the giant rotating chocolate chip cookie that was projected on the wall...

Oh wait, it's an asteroid? Looked like a tollhouse cookie to me....
                              Disneyland visitor since 1967!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X