Knott's Scary Farm RIPS on Disneyland...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2DieFR
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2005

Re: Knott's Scary Farm RIPS on Disneyland...

Knott's is entitled to all the mockery and crap they want, but they sure as heck are not going to get my business. I don't find those kind of jokes very funny. I'm not offended, but I'm slow to make fun of things/places/people and I don't appreciate it much when someone does. No one wants to be on the other side of the joke.

Comment

• goldenstate5
      • May 2005

I always hear about these great and hilarious Hanging shows every year and why doesn't anybody TAPE them?! Are video cams not allowed in Haunt or something?...

Comment

• Escapé
        MiceChatter
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Evan
        How did they "kill" Disney characters? They couldn't have been anything like the actual characters. I think Knott's has to consult the parks before actually poking any fun at them, or they could get sued out the ying yang.

Like all "The Hanging" shows I've been to ...... It's all a One-Two fast punch with sound effects ... It's all SOOOO FAST .. a bad guy will take aim .. (if you look closely ... the stunt men barely touch each other) .. and the "good" guy just roles with direction the other guy is taking aim. Usually falling behind the stage on to an inflatable device to catch the fall.

"The Hanging" is not for everybody. If you're not one for Comedy Central/SNL/George Carlin/Jay Leno/etc. type - slapstick, roll-with-the-punches type humor .. then I don't recommend it to those who don't like that kind of humor. "The Hanging" usually takes pot-shots at celebrities and other VIPs. One has to be one of those celebrities to take offense ... and who does not agree that Michael Jackson did not have it coming to him in last year's Hanging. Please :rollseyes:

Even the pot-shot towards Disneyland APs last year was soooooooooo tame, and generalized ...... as an AP since 1987 .... it didn't offend me at all. I guess that might be because I can laugh at my own self .. and not take things so seriously.

But again .. The Hanging is not for everyone ........ But if you're one ready for some good raucous laughter .... It just might be yer type of entertainment!

Comment

• JivinJonno
          Rat Patootie
          • Jul 2005

In my opinion, I really enjoyed the jokes toward Disney, and many of the other ones...as for the physical violence...it got old /very/ quickly...I don't care for it...

I went with quite a few Disney AP's on opening night...we all really enjoyed it...I thought the jokes were rather funny...like the stab at Disney convincing guests that the 50th is a "year long celebration" when it really lasts 18 months...it was basically just pointing out the obvious...not really insulting...

I liked it.
          .....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
          ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
          (:ap:..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
          .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
          .../\....*...| | \/|,-,|\/ | |
          MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Comment

• ni_teach
            Just this guy......
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soulquarian
            I was at Knott's Scary Farm last night and the annual show "The Hanging" took more swipes at Disney than Hong Kong on a holiday!
            Knott's has always taken swipes at Disney. I can't think of a year where they haven't. Some are more funny than others.
            Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

• FromWithin
              Yes its that much fun!
              • Feb 2005

Every year they will offend someone! The last year I worked there they did a joke about Tom Cruise (the lil boy from six sense walked up to him and said I see gay people!) boy did that get a lot of complaints!but its all in good fun and for the most part people enjoy it. and hey if you cant laugh at yourself...
              "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
              Micheal Eisner

Comment

• Gothemi
                • Feb 2005

On second thought, maybe I will go. I will stand in front and start booing throughout the night. I will were a white shirt with the words "Knott's isn't even #3 in SoCal" (though not many will get it). On the back I will have a picture of old man Knotts' face put on the body of a fried chicken with with the words "KFC is better."

Then again...why meet tasteless with tacky?

Comment

• Soulquarian
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2005

There was some joke during this year's hanging about Hong Kong Disneyland, but I didn't catch all of it. Everything is so fast in that show!

Comment

• Reaver
                    Reaver of Souls
                    • Jan 2005

It was a tie in to Hong Kong Disney, mainly as a way to segway into the Axe Gang from Kung Fu Hustle...
                    Honor those who fall under the sword.
                    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Gothemi
                      On second thought, maybe I will go. I will stand in front and start booing throughout the night. I will were a white shirt with the words "Knott's isn't even #3 in SoCal" (though not many will get it). On the back I will have a picture of old man Knotts' face put on the body of a fried chicken with with the words "KFC is better."

Then again...why meet tasteless with tacky?
                      And what point will that make? If anything all of those boos will land you a quick a** kicking! This crowd is less "Family Friendly" than Disneyland...

It's Halloween Haunt. They make fun of any and everything. They killed so many celebrities this year (Paris Hilton, Tom Cruise, Mickey Rourke, Eisner, Micheal Jackson....) are you going to get all upset just because they picked on Disney? I guess...

Disneyland makes more money than ANY So. Cal park. Everyone knows that. Everyone knows that Disney is the powerhouse of the industry, so why do Disney fans need to go out of the way to prove it? And most of the jokes were really funny and truthful. Most Disney rides DO end in a gift shop. They are making a birthday last 18 months...

Get upset if you want to dude, but you not giving Knott's Scary Farm $23 isn't going to prevent it from selling out and being the most successful Halloween Theme Park event ever. Kinda like when those Christians began boycotting Disney. Oh, you didn't hear about that? Exactly...

Comment

• Reaver
                        Reaver of Souls
                        • Jan 2005

And what point will that make? If anything all of those boos will land you a quick a** kicking! This crowd is less "Family Friendly" than Disneyland...

It's Halloween Haunt. They make fun of any and everything. They killed so many celebrities this year (Paris Hilton, Tom Cruise, Mickey Rourke, Eisner, Micheal Jackson....) are you going to get all upset just because they picked on Disney? I guess...

Disneyland makes more money than ANY So. Cal park. Everyone knows that. Everyone knows that Disney is the powerhouse of the industry, so why do Disney fans need to go out of the way to prove it? And most of the jokes were really funny and truthful. Most Disney rides DO end in a gift shop. They are making a birthday last 18 months...
                        All very true. To some people, poking fun at the big D is like pointing a gun at their child's head. They take it WAY to seriously. The Hanging wasn't all about DL this year, it was mostly about the copyright infringement thing from New Line last year. But they needed a theme, and DL is the biggest news in So Cal these days. People really need to lighten up about The Hanging's jokes. Here's the deal - Want to stay out of The Hanging? It's quite easy to do. All you have to do is - Nothing. Do absolutely nothing. Stay out of the news, stay out of the public eye, and you'll never even be mentioned.

But, as has been mentioned, The Hanging is all about popular culture, specifically in So Cal. And there has been nothing more in your face everywhere you go that DLR and the Happiest Homecoming. It's everywhere. If anything, people should be glad DL took such a huge part of The Hanging. It means that DLR Marketing is doing a good job getting DL's face on everything you see here locally...
                        Honor those who fall under the sword.
                        But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• tloolgb
                          Internet.Serious Business
                          • May 2005

Honestly, how many people know that the Six Flags company is for sale? Not very many, especially your average guest. The sign made the joke hilarious because Six Flags has already begun selling off it's assets. I thought it was hilarious.
                          I don't mind the jabs, its just that they have to explain them so it's like "yeah lame". Who cares about the fact that Six Flags is for sale ...Mr Six dancing to his music getting eaten would have been funny...they add a sign to explain it and it' snot.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tloolgb
                            I don't mind the jabs, its just that they have to explain them so it's like "yeah lame". Who cares about the fact that Six Flags is for sale ...Mr Six dancing to his music getting eaten would have been funny...they add a sign to explain it and it' snot.
                            Ask the average person if they knew Six Flags was for sale... No one but Hardcore theme park fans would know info like that.

Comment

• travelmom
                              Minion
                              • Feb 2005

Interesting. Not being a local, I have never heard of the hanging.
                              My opinion is you have to be big enough and popular enough to parody, so it is flattery in a sense. The two parks have lived side by side forever, friendly rivalry keeps things interesting!
                              Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

• Soulquarian
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2005

Knott's makes profit because of Disney. A lot of people who visit Disneyland usually stop by Knott's too...

Comment

• Gothemi
                                  • Feb 2005

Get upset if you want to dude, but you not giving Knott's Scary Farm $23 isn't going to prevent it from selling out and being the most successful Halloween Theme Park event ever. Kinda like when those Christians began boycotting Disney. Oh, you didn't hear about that? Exactly...

Bring on the a** kicking, they still serve beer there right? J/K

I think you missed the point. We could easily go on and on about how "better" Disneyland may be compared to Knott's, but why? We already know...That is why the last line said:

"Then again...why meet tasteless with tacky?"

And I do remember the Christians boycotting DL. It was all over the news several years ago. What wasn't covered as much is the lifting of the ban.

Comment

• DisneyMickey
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jan 2005

I'm never going to that place again. How lame can you get?

Comment

• DLandFansAZ
                                      .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
                                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                      • Jul 2005

OK, I swore to myself I wasn't going to say anything on this since I have no experience with Knott's. However, I just can't keep my big mouth shut.

Disney is #1, that is a fact, not my opinion (or at least in my understanding.) They generate the highest number of guests, money, etc. And, from my understanding (if I'm wrong, please correct me) the are the leader by far. Disney does not have to, nor would they with their management style ever conduct a promotion that would directly bash a secondary competitor. It's just bad business. However, many competitors of leading companies (but not all, don't get me wrong) will take jabs at the leader for a gain. Look at the McDonald's vs. Burger King war.

So, is Knott's being overly nasty towards Disney? Personally, I say no. From what I've read, remember I have never visited Knott's so I can only base this on what has been posted so far, Knott's really hasn't said anything that isn't in at least some degree true. They appear to be poking fun at the obvious. No matter how nice it is that since I am only able to make it to DLR once a year, I will still be able to experience the 50th twice.

Reading the posts about what Knott's has done made me laugh. Personally I could care less. If I were able to make a trip to CA right now, I would not be persuaded to go see "The Hanging" or even visit Knott's for that matter. This appears to be a localized competition intended to draw people that are close to come join in on a roast. From what has been said, this has been done for years, and apparently it doesn't bother Disney too much. So if you enjoy this type of humor, go get a laugh, if you don't ignore it. But remember, when it is gone for the season, people will start forgetting it almost immediately.

Ah heck, life's too short, I'll see you at Disneyland.
                                      Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

• Metal God
                                        Metal Head
                                        • Jan 2005

Knotts used to poke fun at Disney in their wild west stunt show. They still might but its been a couple years since I visited Knotts. I remember them asking for a volunteer and some girl offers her newlywed husband, he gets on stage and tells them he is a janitor for Walt Disney world and they bust on him through the show. Its just sillyness I cant imagine why anyone would get uptight over it. Plenty of real world problems to stress over.
                                        How much longer will it take
                                        For the world to see.
                                        We should learn to live
                                        And simply let it be.
                                        Bloodstone, bloodstone.

Comment

• almandot
                                          Shubisha
                                          • Apr 2005

Knott's has a certain right to poke fun at Disneyland over say... some park in Ohio. They're long established neighbor parks, the local crowds are the same and there's an established history. They know Disneyland is obviously the bigger park but that's why they have fun poking fun at them. They're not exactly kicking at a park who's doing poorly and mocking them over it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X