X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Main St Magic Shop being turned over to a Third Party contract

Re: Main St Magic Shop being turned over to a Third Party contract

User only has one post.. is there a troll underneath this bridge??

Comment

yes... I condemn Disney for putting magic in the magic shop. Shame on you Disney.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3slnSih-WQ&feature=related"]YouTube - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!![/ame]
      DisneyTwins
      Since May 2003

Comment

I've found Disney to be the company most guilty of homogenizing and taking away
        from the guest experience lately...so if this rumor is true, it might be for the better.
        :blink: Bullets for Breakfast :blink:
        Join the party. Face the music.

Comment

Didn't Disney do this before? In like the 50s and 60s? I've heard that one of the restaurants in Fronteirland was contracted to another guy to be ran as a restaurant.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

Contracting out a shop in Disneyland doesn't feel right...

However, since Disney at the moment insists on having every single shop in the park just sell the same generic merchandise, keeping a full-fledged magic shop on Main Street sounds pretty good.
            My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

yeah, and I only see one or two people in there. It's a very small shop. I think their only probably going to sponsor it at the most. What you probably heard is just bull... no offense.

Are you sure they didn't just say that it will be contracted by a 3rd party to supply the shop?
              DisneyTwins
              Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                Contracting out a shop in Disneyland doesn't feel right...
                Jewel of Orleans and the Crystal Shops are contracted as well. It's more common than you think...
                -Monorail Man

Comment

I'm totally okay with this. The guys at the leased magic cart across from World of Disney always seem to be putting on cool demos with an audience. This could actually preserve the theme of the magic shop. If a CM wants to work there that bad, then work for the third-party company instead.
                  I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                    yes... I condemn Disney for putting magic in the magic shop. Shame on you Disney.

YouTube - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
                    Here here.
                    "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

Plus they probably have to follow Disney standards because it's on Disney's Property.
                      DisneyTwins
                      Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
                        Here here.
                        Sarcasm at it's best
                        DisneyTwins
                        Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by MirriLiu View Post
                          ...imagine a third party ownership that has their own company rules and policies. The people who would work the Main St Magic Shop would not be CM’s who understand and follow of the principals and teachings of the Walt Disney Company, but a second rate company only designed to push a product line and not entertain or inspire the magic.
                          If this rumor is true, hopefully the contract will have similar conditions to those that WDC made in the 50's with the third-party business people who operated many shops on Main Street and elsewhere in Disneyland.

I seem to remember reading in one of the early Disneyland employee newsletters (but am unable to cite the issue) that vendors' employees went through Van France's training school like any other "Disneylander." Third-party employees adhered to Van's standards of professionalism.

As a guest in the 50's and onward, I recall that you couldn't tell the WDC-owned Disneyland business from third-party-owned -- in their appearance and behavior, they were all "Disney." The main difference with today's CMs was that the great majority of Disneylanders were adults.

To sum it up:
                          • The rumor that the Main Street Magic Shop may be closing is a major bummer.
                          • The rumor that it may be reopening is wonderful.
                          • The rumor that it may be operated by an outside company is not necessarily worrisome. Especially given the way Disney itself has run its merch operations in the last 15 years.
                          We'll see which rumor(s) turns out to be true.

(No offense to the OP, but "several CM's told me" isn't News. It is a Rumor. Just sayin'. )

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM.
                          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I believe several stores in NOS, and even some stores on Main Street itself used to be contracted out. I know one store in NOS that is still 3rd party owned. Part of the contract is knowing Disney's standards and abiding by them.

What I would be concerned with is a dramatic shift in prices. Houdini would attempt to make it's profit on top of Disney's "cut" and the end result would be high prices. The higher the prices the harder the sale... and no sales means closed doors. That would be my concern.

Aside from that I see no issue with allowing a 3rd party in the park if they specialize in that area and can maintain or exceed Disney's standards. This would seem to be a good compromise as the individuals at the Houdini cart actually knew more about the tricks then the CM's I witnessed attempting them.
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

thats what I was thinking. They know the tricks, and plus, it's going to have magic tricks!!
                              DisneyTwins
                              Since May 2003

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X