This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Hyperion Theater's Future

So, everyone knows that a Toy Story Musical will replace the Aladdin Musical pretty soon. But... I have heard that Toy Story will only be a placeholder for an even bigger show that will come after. An from what I have heard, it will basically be Fantasia on stage. Scenes from Disney movies will play on a screen while a full orchestra will play iconic music from that particular movie. This will all be combined with lights, lasers, and theater effects.

My source happens to be one of the established composers working on the project. He is also my neighbor and happens to be a HUGE Disney fan. He gave me a tour of his mansion and all his Disney related collectibles. He not only has a check signed by Walt Disney, but also a certificate signed by him too. Oh, an my favorite collectible he owns is one of the ORIGINAL stretching room portraits in the Haunted Mansion!! The one with the guy standing on the lit barrel of dynamite. It;s hanging above his family room!!! Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know he's not just a random guy telling me this information.

The reason why the show has not been announced is because Disney does not want this to steal any of "World of Color's" thunder. He said it will be like "Star Wars: In Concert" but only better because it will be Disney films!! Check out that website. Star Wars: In Concert
    (If it's anything like that. It will be amazing)

So what do you guys think about the idea? Will it be a hit? Would you watch it? Do you think it belongs in the (enclosed) Fantasyland theater instead? Oh, an for those across the US, they plan to make a touring version of this show later down the road or simultaneously. They have not decided yet.

Re: Hyperion Theater's Future

Awesome!! I want to be your neighbor! Haha. Thanks for the info
    sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

That sounds really cool! Aladdin is an ok show, although I think the Genie can go a little far with all of the pop culture references sometimes. And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that a Toy Story musical is an awful idea. I hadn't even heard about that, yet! inch: But a Fantasia show with a live orchestra... now that I would love to see again and again. It almost sounds a little too good to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by TIS17 View Post
        .... Fantasia on stage. Scenes from Disney movies will play on a screen while a full orchestra will play iconic music from that particular movie. This will all be combined with lights, lasers, and theater effects.
        Fantasia?!? What an odd choice for a stage show. It sounds like an interesting idea but some how I just do not see them doing this.
        Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

i don't see them paying for all those musicians on a daily basis. Sounds like an expensive show. But I hope Toy Story is only there for short time. Not too excited about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ni_teach View Post
            Fantasia?!? What an odd choice for a stage show. It sounds like an interesting idea but some how I just do not see them doing this.
            It's actually quite a huge business now. Im not talking about people acting out the scenes though. They even do this for video games. An the concerts sell out too!! Why not Disney movies?

Comment

Any musical thats not Pixar-Branded is worth watching!

I hope that rumor is true! I would love to see a Fantasia themed show in there.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
              The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
              Indy Ride Count: 2211
              World of Color Count: 74

Comment

I hope your neighbour is right because that sounds pretty awsome! I'm actually happy that the Toy Story Musical will only be a place holder as Toy Story didn't even involve any songs in it that could be sung. Actually, I'd be happier if they didn't do Toy Story Musical period. Hope this Fantasia can live up to the movie versions. But it's weird, how are they going to have to destroy most of the stage to fit the band.

Comment

Sounds interesting....

but i dunno about the idea of watching video screens instead of a live play/musical.
                  "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Comment

From the idea of this Fantasia thing, it appears that Disney is doing the exact same thing that VGL does (Video Games Live).

Watch this video form a VGL concert and you'll get the idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIEOo2Rdy0A]YouTube - VGL 2006 - Hikari (Orchestra Instrumental)[/ame]

The world is a treasure trove of places.
                    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                    Indy Ride Count: 2211
                    World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Originally posted by TIS17 View Post
                      it will basically be Fantasia on stage. Scenes from Disney movies will play on a screen while a full orchestra will play iconic music from that particular movie. This will all be combined with lights, lasers, and theater effects.

Oh, an for those across the US, they plan to make a touring version of this show later down the road or simultaneously. They have not decided yet.
                      The studio did a version of what you've laid out above:

Fantasia/2000 celebrated it's World Premiere on December 17, 1999 at Carnegie Hall in New York where renowned maestro James Levine conducted the 120-piece London Philharmonic Orchestra in a live concert that was played in synch with the film's projected animated imagery. Following two additional performances at Carnegie Hall (December 18 and 19), the ensemble embarked on a one-week world tour that included concerts/screenings in London (December 21 at Royal Albert Hall), Paris (December 22 at the Theatre des Champs-Elysees), and Tokyo (December 27 at the Orchard Hall). The orchestra then returned to California for a special New Year's Eve engagement, the Fantasia 2000 Gala at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, where 2,000 special guests greeted the turn of the century with a live performance and a screening of the film. Following the film, guests attended a gala New Year's Eve party. And as part of it's January 1, 2000 kick-off at 75 IMAX theatres a temporary structure, the Disney IMAX theatre, was built and located on the Howard Hughes Parkway in Los Angeles for the film's special engagement.

It was created to draw worldwide attention to the new film and was vastly expensive. Full orchestra performances even four-days a week would be a fairly large drain of entertainment's budget one would guess.
                      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I regret mentioning Fantasia. It is NOT Fantasia. I mean't it will be Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, ect. Maybe even some live action movies like Pirates of the Caribbean or Pixar movies like Finding Nemo (I personally would love to hear Finding Nemo's score live). Do not get it confused with watching the Fantasia movie Live. Fantasia might not even be involved at all. Who knows. What Disney movies music would you like to see performed?

Comment

^huh? no you have me questioning the whole thing.
                          "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
                            ^huh? no you have me questioning the whole thing.
                            why?

Comment

Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
                              From the idea of this Fantasia thing, it appears that Disney is doing the exact same thing that VGL does (Video Games Live).

Watch this video form a VGL concert and you'll get the idea.

YouTube - VGL 2006 - Hikari (Orchestra Instrumental)

OMG! Now you have me thinking of Kingdom Hearts.... I wonder what the possibilities would be to give the Kingdom Hearts series its own stage show in the Hyperion because that would so be my nerdy fanboy dream come true to have something Kingdom Hearts related in the parks... Sora, Donald, and Goofy would make awesome main characters and they could so have the other main Disney characters to the Kingdom Hearts story like Maleficent, Hades, Ursula, not to mention the Disney Pricesses of heart and the many other Disney characters from the game featured in it. It could have a bit of action, a bit of special effects, and a bit of clever choreography! Although really it only exists in my imagination because it should be filed in the never going to happen... but Hikari is such an awesome theme for Kingdom Hearts... It fits the Disney aspect but also fits the Square-Enix aspect of it.
                              Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                              http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                              http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Stoan View Post
                                i don't see them paying for all those musicians on a daily basis. Sounds like an expensive show. But I hope Toy Story is only there for short time. Not too excited about that one.
                                I agree with Bobby. The show sounds cool, musicians playing live? E x p e n s i v e. Disneyland used to use live musicians in alot more entertainment, stage shows, even parades. No more. Musicians belong to a very powerful union, and they are expensive. Id be floored if they used a live orchestra for a daily show.

Comment

I'm kinda disappointed with this. I love Toy Story but I think they have quite enough Toy Story stuff going on already. I would have liked to see something else that hasn't had much spotlight like Mulan or something.

Also, I don't know about the orchestra show either. As much as I love disney songs, I would rather watch a show with live actors then watch a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Stoan View Post
                                    In reality, it takes just as many people, if not more, to run Aladdin everyday than it would to have an orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by tamasurvivor View Post
                                      OMG! Now you have me thinking of Kingdom Hearts.... I wonder what the possibilities would be to give the Kingdom Hearts series its own stage show in the Hyperion because that would so be my nerdy fanboy dream come true to have something Kingdom Hearts related in the parks... Sora, Donald, and Goofy would make awesome main characters and they could so have the other main Disney characters to the Kingdom Hearts story like Maleficent, Hades, Ursula, not to mention the Disney Pricesses of heart and the many other Disney characters from the game featured in it. It could have a bit of action, a bit of special effects, and a bit of clever choreography! Although really it only exists in my imagination because it should be filed in the never going to happen... but Hikari is such an awesome theme for Kingdom Hearts... It fits the Disney aspect but also fits the Square-Enix aspect of it.
                                      OMG I'm a TOTAL KH nerd too!(Playing 358/2 as I type LOL)! I have totally thought of the same thing! I REALLY don't see why Disney just doesn't do a KH land, or musical or SOMETHING! KH is one of THE best Disney franchises EVER created! It's the thing that actually got me into Disney! LONG LIVE KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
                                        OMG I'm a TOTAL KH nerd too!(Playing 358/2 as I type LOL)! I have totally thought of the same thing! I REALLY don't see why Disney just doesn't do a KH land, or musical or SOMETHING! KH is one of THE best Disney franchises EVER created! It's the thing that actually got me into Disney! LONG LIVE KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!!

I've thought that Twilight Town would make a pretty cool entrance plaza, but it would be great to see the games make it into the parks.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X