Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why no love for disneyland resort?

Why is it sooooo hard for DLR to get any national attention.

In the last 3 days, I have watched my local Dallas newscast bring a story about the expansion of The Magic Kingdom with detail, and today the Yahoo homepage has a featured story about The Harry Potter expansion at Universal Studios.

I don't ever hear a peep about anything going on at the DLR in any sort of a national way.

Why can't Disney get people to take notice of this place and the exciting, massive expansion going on?

IT IS ANNOYING!!!!!

Re: Why no love for disneyland resort?

I don't know.

I'm super excited about all the DCA stuff going on! Even though they messed up, I think it's really cool to see the transformation to the future Disney's California Adventure. Plus, it's understandable they made mistakes. It's just great to see they're fixing and learning from them! I know it's a hard job to get into, but I'd love to be an Imagineer someday. I think I'm learning a lot from this and what to avoid and what to do by being able to see this transformation and also observe and participate in MiceChat discussions. I'm sure when it gets closer to the bigger things at DCA, like Buena Vista Street and CarsLand, there'll be more international stuff, but right now, the big stuff is hardly taking shape yet. It's just an idea. So is the Magic Kingdom expansion, but it's a new idea. I'm pretty sure that when the DCA expansion ideas were revealed it got some attention, too.

Comment

California Adventure got a fair amount of attention when it was assigned the massive budget it did for it's overhaul, however that initial announcement has come and gone, it's no longer "news" to the media until it reaches completion, just as the Fantasyland overhaul at WDW won't probably be mentioned again until it opens.

Besides, this is one of the largest additions to the magic kingdom in history...

Comment

Partly because throughout most of the country, Walt Disney World is seen as a vacation destination in and of itself. Despite adding the "resort" to the name, Disneyland is just not viewed the same way. Odds are many more people from your state visit WDW than DL.

When the DCA expansion is officially done and is announced in a big PR blitz, you'll probably hear about it everywhere.

Comment

Exactly, TTN - the DCA overhaul was covered when it was announced, but we're just in the uncomfortable interim between exciting initial announcement and exciting public opening. Nothing much for the press to cover.

And when I see the lines in the park and hear the countless languages being spoken, I don't worry too much about whether the park is receiving enough attention. People know it's there, and they visit in droves.

Comment

Disneyland is a locals park. You're in Dallas? Reporting on Disneyland over there would be like reporting about Six Flags Over Texas here.

They don't have to report about DL when the majority of the people in your area probably go to WDW. And WDW needs this national type of exposure more than DL does. DL sits in an area where about 25 million people are within a couple hours drive away. Disney definitely has the word out about DL to these people. There really is no need to spread the word elsewhere.

Comment

We get a pretty even split of promos here in Oregon.

What I don't get is why it cost more to fly to Orange County California(less than a 1,000 miles away) than it does to fly to Orange County Florida(nearly 3,000 miles away)????
              Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                We get a pretty even split of promos here in Oregon.

What I don't get is why it cost more to fly to Orange County California(less than a 1,000 miles away) than it does to fly to Orange County Florida(nearly 3,000 miles away)????

Try flying into LAX instead. It's only about a 30 min drive away but usually way cheaper than flying into John Wayne airport (orange county). John Wayne is a tiny airport. It only has one hanger and it has a short short runway, that's why it's so much more expensive. It's also so much more convenient I'd rather pay more than fly into LAX. LAX is huge, sprawling and congested and just generally a pain in the a$*.

I can't say much in this thread because I live in AZ and we get ads for both parks. :-)
                sigpic
                I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

I think it goes back to the Eisner days when he literally rammed WDW down everyone's throats (anyone remember all the prime time ABC shows going to WDW like Full House, Roseanne, Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step By Step and others?). It's kinda stuck to that. Eisner always took his family there even though he worked in Burbank and sometimes in NYC. I really don't know why this is, he really liked WDW over DLR. A lot of other execs of that time went to both resorts and I think they still do, from the stories I've heard, once Iger became CEO he took his family to Disneyland not WDW. A lot of this is based on books I read so take it as you will but it makes sense.
                  -Jack :geek:
                  Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                    Try flying into LAX instead. It's only about a 30 min drive away but usually way cheaper than flying into John Wayne airport (orange county). John Wayne is a tiny airport. It only has one hanger and it has a short short runway, that's why it's so much more expensive. It's also so much more convenient I'd rather pay more than fly into LAX. LAX is huge, sprawling and congested and just generally a pain in the a$*.
                    Sometimes MCO is even cheaper than LAX.....but if I am going to Disneyland I must use SNA......the takeoff from that Airport is my favorite ride
                    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                      Try flying into LAX instead. It's only about a 30 min drive away...
                      Maybe if you rent a car, but via public transportation, it takes more like an hour or two, depending on traffic and what route you take.

LAX is huge, sprawling and congested and just generally a pain in the a$*.
                      ::shrug:: Sometimes...no more so than Disneyland, though. In my experience, LAX usually isn't that bad as long as you give yourself enough time, keep your wits about you, and keep a go-with-the-flow attitude. (That being said, some of the terminals are a bother...I was a bit annoyed one time I flew an Alaska/American flight into a gate WAY off in left field. Had to take a shuttle just to get back to the other terminals.)

[/off-topic]

Comment

Disneyland only needs to advertise to its captive audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                          Disneyland only needs to advertise to its captive audience.
                          Steve why don't you trademark your captive audience line so you can start making money off it.
                          sigpic

Comment

they dlr/dca stuff has been out for a while, now its about wdw...the media is always going to the next big story...
                            dude, where is my milkshake!

Comment

WDW has gotten the short end of the stick with rides/expansions for so long it's about time it's getting some proper love.

Comment

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
                                Steve why don't you trademark your captive audience line so you can start making money off it.
                                Because paying myself royalties would be would be hell come tax time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                  Because paying myself royalties would be would be hell come tax time.
                                  ...Even though you're absolutely right!
                                  Charlie :wave:
                                  MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                    WDW has gotten the short end of the stick with rides/expansions for so long it's about time it's getting some proper love.

WDW hasn't gotten love because it's executives think it's a waste of money to put in new attractions or renovate old ones while they are raking in money. They don't care about park integrity.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                                      Sometimes MCO is even cheaper than LAX.....but if I am going to Disneyland I must use SNA......the takeoff from that Airport is my favorite ride

Oh man, every single time my stomach goes into my throat.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X