Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Potential third gate attraction!

For those of you unfamiliar with "Night On Bald Mountain" from Fantasia, here's a video of the sequence.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ca_edg6RE]YouTube - Fantasia - Night on Bald Mountain[/ame]

Seeing that whole sequence again got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a Bald Mountain ride somewhere? All the ghosts flying by your side, a giant Chernabog(big devil guy's name) AA, the huge mountain, and of course the music from the film as the on board soundtrack.

I've had this idea for a while and I posted a thread about it a long time ago, but I thought I could refine it a little and give yall' a scene by scene run through of how I imagine it. So, imagine if we had a third gate based on myths and legends and that sort of thing a couple years from now.
    You'd start your experience by walking around a little European town and seeing the huge intimidating mountain in the distance. The queue would start by entering an old abandoned looking church. You'd go down into the tombs underneath the church and to the tomb loading area. You'd board onto carriages mysteriously absent of horses. The carriages could look something like this and they would be on a suspended roller coaster system. Your ride would start out with the unsettling music from the beginning playing and your carriage slowly moving through the tomb's corridors till you go above the ground and into a show building displaying the town and than the music starts to build up until you hear the "BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH". Right then you see a shadow cover over a building and you witness it stretch toward where Chernabog would be just like in the sequence. You speed up a little to avoid his shadow and keep on moving throughout the town seeing a bunch of different effects caused by chernabog's shadow (with clever lighting tricks). Projections of ghosts would come out of graves and finally the shadow would catch up to you and make your carriage fly up with the rest of the ghosts and ghouls. You'd see projections of ghosts and cleverly placed AA's of ghosts by your side while you fly at high speeds up past rocks and up Bald Mountain.

here's a photo of my concept drawing of what it would sort of look like

Continuing... Once you'd get up to the peak, you'd see a giant hand reach out from a scrim of fog and pick up your carriage. This would be a chance for the hand to move your ride vehicle to somewhere else maybe if there wasn't enough space left where it was, but eventually, from the fog, you'd see emerge two gigantic yellow eyes(of course with the music helping the drama of the moment). The fog would clear up and there would be a fully articulated giant Chernabog AA face giving you an evil smile. Your carriage would escape and fly around some of the crazy vortexes from the sequence a few times with all the creepy and colorful ghoulies from the second half of the video flying around or dancing around on the peak to Chernabog. It would all end with the church bell ringing and giving off the light that brings Chernabog back into the mountain and you safely float back down the peak and into the tomb loading/ unloading area.

I know that that was a long and crazy read. I don't understand how they'd do a lot of the things I specified in that... but hey! lets leave that for discussion!

Re: Potential third gate attraction!

Cool. Go for it. I guess if they're never going to use the Alpine Chalet at the Fantasyland end of the Skyway for anything else, you can put it there.

Comment

Thanks, but I meant for it to be in a third gate. With a whole new park, you could have a big 200 foot mountain and a whole new land around it. I don't think that tight space in fantasyland would do a mountain of that size justice. Although theme wise it would work pretty well... I think Chernabog needs a proper lair.

Comment

Good stuff:thumbup:
        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Reminds me of Canada's Wonderland

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/ima..._map_thumb.jpg

Comment

that sounds like a lot of fun : ) i would ride it

Comment

Great idea! Would defenatly be good and would ride it!

Comment

You should pitch this to RockNGuitar for his/her Mythica project. I would definitely ride it--I've always loved the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence, even when I was a little kid, and there's a lot of potential for some excellent atmospheric theming there.
                Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I have no idea how a lot of this stuff would work though... because i'd like for it to switch from overhead track to maybe a trackless dark ride system at times. Like how Expedition Everest switches the tracks... only switching ride systems.

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                  I suppose it does resemble it a little, minus the waterfall, and plus a couple hundred feet.

Comment

I would love to see this happen! And what if it didn't necessarily switch from a coaster track to a darkride track...but just from a coaster track below you, to above you, which might give the rider the illusion of flying. I can see this idea replace some current attractions, like Journey to the Center of the Earth @ TDS, and EE in AK. Actually, I would like to see this in the never-was section of beastly kingdom if EE didn't already dominate the skyline of AK...

Comment

Well, Journey to Atlantis at Sea World in San Diego changes from being a log ride in water to a roller coaster on a track - in the same trip, in the same vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        Well, Journey to Atlantis at Sea World in San Diego changes from being a log ride in water to a roller coaster on a track - in the same trip, in the same vehicle.

Splash Mountain also operates on water, rails, and wheels during the course of the trip.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MainSreetJake View Post
                          I would love to see this happen! And what if it didn't necessarily switch from a coaster track to a darkride track...but just from a coaster track below you, to above you, which might give the rider the illusion of flying. I can see this idea replace some current attractions, like Journey to the Center of the Earth @ TDS, and EE in AK. Actually, I would like to see this in the never-was section of beastly kingdom if EE didn't already dominate the skyline of AK...
                          The problem with that is the underneath track being visible to the guests. In the beginning I want the guests to feel like they're riding a carriage through a town, but once they get under chernabog's shadow, they rise up and fly with the cleverly hidden track above you. Maybe they could stop for a second when the carriage gets to a dead end, that way you'd be thematically forced to stay there while the overhead track would somehow (through technical genius) connect to the cars in the specified (and safe!) amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                            Yep, that's the basic idea, except I can't do that specifically.

Comment

Wow...

I don't think I 've ever been this inspired...

Back in a bit...

Comment

I love this, you're a great artist :O

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by RocknGuitar View Post
                                  Wow...

I don't think I 've ever been this inspired...

Back in a bit...
                                  Wow, thanks
                                  Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                                  I love this, you're a great artist :O
                                  Thanks, now I kinda want to draw out some of the scenes like a storyboard...

Comment

Originally posted by pianoman13 View Post
                                    Wow, thanks

Thanks, now I kinda want to draw out some of the scenes like a storyboard...

I'll be waiting!

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                                      I'll be waiting!
                                      Me Too!

Comment

Very impressive Pianoman13.

Question: Would/could the mountain house any
                                        more attractions? Eatery?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X