X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• techskip
    replied
    Re: How would you update Jungle Cruise?

As far as an indoor section I always had this mental image of going from the ambush into a cave in the side of Schweitzer Falls. The cave would be a beautiful cavern with waterfalls cascading on either side of the boat. The entire cavern would be lit from the water below with patterns dancing across the ceiling... oh and the ceiling would have bats sleeping above you... Personally I find that a lot better then a simple "backside of water".

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Leave it as is, and cut the Skips more slack on the script. It'd make for a different ride every time with some HILARIOUS jokes.
    The problem with cutting Skips more slack is that there needs to be a definitive line. WDI authorized the joke submission program and the spiel was greatly expanded. A lot of the ad-lib heard in years past were because there weren't many options... now there are. What bites is that most aren't using anything beyond the spiel they were trained on.

Leave a comment:

• vfire
    replied

What techskip said...

Plus a nightly Halloween overlay themed to Apocalypse Now and a Doors soundtrack.

Leave a comment:

• caligirl09
    replied

Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    How would I update it?
    Well first off, TEAR IT DOWN!
    Then replace it with a coaster set on the island in the Incredibles.
    And while we're on the topic of improving Adventureland, they should add Iago, Zazu, AND Stitch to the Tiki Room.

I wouldn't tear it down BUT I LOVE the idea of adding a coaster based on the Incredibles. Now that's one "pixar takeover" I'd go for!

For simple, more realistic ideas, I would simply update it, add more. Maybe some awesome special effects.

For more out of this world ideas, I wish the animals were real like in animal kingdom ( trust me, I know it won't happen). And I've always liked the idea of getting off mid-ride and going on some sort of adventure! Maybe you could go down a path to the Incredibles rollercoaster!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fashion Biff
    replied

First response still is leave it as is, it is what it is, part of Disney that does not need the latest and greatest. Only think that I can see doing are-
    1. Since Aladin is flying away let who ever wrote for the genie write some new banter for the docks and keep it updated but tie it into the theme.
    2. Also slow the boats down and do not fill them up so much give us some room to pivot around, and enjoy the ride.
    3. Maybe a guest skipper like stated above every 10th boat or what ever someone who pushes on and leaves the skip at the dock yelling for him/her to bring the boat back. This should satisfy the haters

Leave a comment:

• Joshrzmeup
    replied

Update the AA's (make them a bit more life-like by giving them some more movement), give the skippers a bit more slack with the script, have it a bit raunchier at night (like after fireworks, say pg-13 instead of G-pg)) as far as script goes too, it's just more fun that way.
    I'd also get some slightly bigger boats so people aren't so cramped.

Leave a comment:

• 413x
    replied

Update all the AA's. Like the tiger to actually snarl and the eyes frown a little bit more. The mother lion who's getting her tail bopped by her cubs, give her movement in the upper body and have her snarl at them every 30 min. Likewise give the Lion cubs the movement of being spooked (or just their heads turned to the mother and paws fully down on the floor).
    Give the tribesman dancers some arm movement!
    I'm fine with all the puns (Good and bad) but seeing all the AA's just as they are with all the new updates everywhere, it seems a little...well blah to me.

Also, didn't they have or do they have rain in the JC already? In the form of misters at the beginning...?

Leave a comment:

• StrikeYerColors
    replied

Leave it as is, and cut the Skips more slack on the script. It'd make for a different ride everytime with some HILARIOUS jokes.

Leave a comment:

• skimouse
    replied

The Jungle Cruise used to be one of my favorites as a kid and even a teen. For me, it was a true E-ticket. And I still wouldn't feel complete going to DL and not taking a spin or two, but honestly the years haven't been good to my old fave - the ride has above all become seriously dated.

Techskip's ideas above in this thread make a ton of sense, and really get me excited about how this ride could be great again. I'd love to see some real creativity and TLC put into the ride, with a serious goal of making it back into a top-tier attraction, with a real sense of adventure to it.

Building on the idea of expanding the mister system for the outdoor Indy queue, along with adding more arches over the Jungle Cruise itself: What would it take to create a "deep in the rainforest" atmosphere for the entire street and queue area from the Tiki Room right through to the Treehouse? It would be awesome to have this whole area feel dark and steamy and overgrown.

Leave a comment:

• Tinkbelle
    replied

I would love a rainy section!

I would also love it if they hired skips based on their ability to perform and entertain the guests, allowed for fresh material and put better sound systems in the boats.

Leave a comment:

• d1mex
    replied

WOW, I can't even follow that up techskip. I bow to your knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    Bringing the prop box back!
    As much as I enjoyed the prop box the props tended to fall apart from abuse. Additionally those who purchased the props (WDI) really didn't understand the space limitations in the boat. The bongo drum was a lot of fun on the dock but completely useless in the boat because it was too big. The medals were great but because they were so small they were easily lost. The antique binoculars and camera were fun... until the straps broke from abuse.

Part of the blame is the Skips because in several instances horseplay was involved. A major factor was just how many people handled the items. What I would suggest is to take a page from the Narrarations playbook. Allow each Skip to select several props and then have them approved by management. This eliminates props being a requirement and makes those props Skips do have personal items that they will take care of. I'd also like to see the return of animal print hatbands and our leather pouches (obviously unable to reproduce the exact ones but some form of pouch from costuming would be appreciated).

Maybe every 10th boat is taken over by a archaeologist turned adventurer!
    What I miss is being able to take 10 trips and each trip being completely different spiel, character, and props... Now you get the cookie cutter with slight alterations.

Adding in a scene where English troops are fighting some other small army and you feel/hear the bullets (air) passing you (maybe where the lone gorilla trying to make a banana-split is or just or just have an English regiment firing at the gorillas who've taken over the base camp).
    I thought about an air compressed system in the boat which would correspond to the Gorillas as well as the native ambush. One issue is that the blowgun is not native to Africa... you could mix it in with the comment that Jungle Cruise is representative of all jungles... but it's a stretch. Adding Victorian troops (ala escaped trapped safari) on one side of the river "protecting" our tour would be exciting but it could lead to various pc comments about the rule of the British Empire in Africa. I'd just as soon keep it native to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMouse
    replied

Letting the skippers be skippers would be one first and foremost on my list.

Bringing the prop box back!

Having one of the Hippos ram the Launch ala Jaws style would spice things up.

Maybe every 10th boat is taken over by a archaeologist turned adventurer!

Adding in a scene where English troops are fighting some other small army and you feel/hear the bullets (air) passing you (maybe where the lone gorilla trying to make a banana-split is or just or just have an English regiment firing at the gorillas who've taken over the base camp).

Originally posted by techskip View Post
    put in a loop
    That's the answer to everything!

Leave a comment:

• d.N.d.
    replied

How do you offer your opinion after that wonderful post(s) by tech skip.

I go for the with TechSkip category.

Leave a comment:

• J_Showtime
    replied

I enjoy that joke... and the "front-side-of-rock" parody.
    Really? Some of them I enjoy hearing, no matter how many times I've heard it, others are just bad.

Granted, I've had the same skipper a few times and maybe the delivery is just terrible :/

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by J_Showtime View Post
    Wow, that sounds pretty amazing!

If I was to update Jungle Cruise, the "back-side of water" joke would be the first to go...
    I enjoy that joke... and the "front-side-of-rock" parody.

Leave a comment:

• J_Showtime
    replied

This brings up a far more interesting point... a lack of props. Some time ago there was an old Skip who was a leatherworker. He made pouches for each of us and they were approved by management (mine is in front of me as I type this... still full of maps and plastic creatures). Plastic real looking tarantuals, various beetles, frogs, small snakes... you really don't get that interactive element anymore. Recently I was in Prehistoric Pets and noticed dried hatched python eggs for $3... As a Skip I would have LOVED to show that to kids...

One of the original Skips was a Guest at the 50th. He explained how Walt told all of them that they were the zookeepers of Disneyland. He encouraged them to go to local libraries, visit zoos, read books, and know the animals as well as any zookeeper. Several of us took that seriously, and we were able to spiel facts, or jokes, depending on the mood. When Jungle broke down people actually enjoyed my spiels... because it wasn't all jokes. It was facts, history, jokes and memories... I wish the Skips now would make such an effort.
    Wow, that sounds pretty amazing!

If I was to update Jungle Cruise, the "back-side of water" joke would be the first to go...

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
    I love your characters, techskip. I remember reading in More Mouse Tales about the Narrations experiment and truly wish I had been able to see it while it was still ongoing. Skips playing actual roles, instead of just delivering the jokes like stand-up comedians, would revitalize the Jungle Cruise as a nigh-untouchable classic.
    David is a friend of mine, and I came in at the tail end of that program... it was "interesting" to see the combination of old skips that knew; the nuts and bolts of both the boats and jungle animals, new skips that knew; timing, acting, and how to spiel, and us... who knew we were wearing a Skip costume and a hat and that was about it. I LEARNED... from both old and new and i feel I am extremely fortunate to have known both.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
    I meant more in terms of size, shape, and general behavior. They could keep the same AA and either repaint it or make a new skin. And even if they left it entirely the same, I'm sure only a few herpetology geeks such as yourself would notice.
    This brings up a far more interesting point... a lack of props. Some time ago there was an old Skip who was a leatherworker. He made pouches for each of us and they were approved by management (mine is in front of me as I type this... still full of maps and plastic creatures). Plastic real looking tarantuals, various beetles, frogs, small snakes... you really don't get that interactive element anymore. Recently I was in Prehistoric Pets and noticed dried hatched python eggs for $3... As a Skip I would have LOVED to show that to kids...

One of the original Skips was a Guest at the 50th. He explained how Walt told all of them that they were the zookeepers of Disneyland. He encouraged them to go to local libraries, visit zoos, read books, and know the animals as well as any zookeeper. Several of us took that seriously, and we were able to spiel facts, or jokes, depending on the mood. When Jungle broke down people actually enjoyed my spiels... because it wasn't all jokes. It was facts, history, jokes and memories... I wish the Skips now would make such an effort.

Leave a comment:

• Karalora
    replied

I love your characters, techskip. I remember reading in More Mouse Tales about the Narrations experiment and truly wish I had been able to see it while it was still ongoing. Skips playing actual roles, instead of just delivering the jokes like stand-up comedians, would revitalize the Jungle Cruise as a nigh-untouchable classic.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X