Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

    Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
    Go ahead and post your ideas; even if you have the slightest chance of being being hired by WDI, chances are slim that you would get hired anyways, then chances are very slim if you would even be allowed to pitch the idea unless you painstakingly climbed your way to a higher position and chances are very slim that you would even pitch the same exact idea word for word and drawing for drawing. I wouldn't worry about saving ideas for WDI.
    Ahh, yes, thanks for making me feel better.

    Comment


    • #42
      Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

      Originally posted by WDITrent View Post

      But I'm glad threads like these finally found their way to MiceChat! Thanks disneyprincess!
      No problem!

      Originally posted by dl_appurtenant View Post
      Great idea! I'll definitely be participating when I can.

      I'm guessing the simple prompt 'Design a ride for Toontown.' leaves it very open ended...like...the space that I want my ride to go in can not even exist? Or no?

      Also, I think we might want to put a limit on when we can actually post our projects. Like maybe a week from the deadline to the actual deadline? I think this would be better so that we're not burrying projects and that we won't have anyone else's projects in our minds while designing our own. Yay, nay?
      Well, I think people should be realistic here. They should try to think of it as actual imagineering and try to create their attraction somewhere where a space exists, however, it's okay to go a little out of the Toontown/Disneyland berms, so long as it's not an idea adding a huge, long ride equivelant to the size of a whole, huge land.

      And that's a good idea, however, people have allready been posting their ideas, so it's probably too late for this round. However, if I see someone completely copy someone else, I'll probably remove their entry. Its not in the rules, but there is no cheating or copying, for anyone who didn't know. I think it'd be a little better to let people post as early as they want, so, in case people are confused, they can use the entries as examples. If this becomes a problem, though, I'll probably tell the winner of this round to make a rule like you suggested in future rounds.

      Originally posted by LittleImagineer View Post
      Ummmm, I would enter the contest, but I can't upload pics or use anything on the computer to make pics so idk how I would express my ideas. I could always explain but that's not the same
      You could try working in a group. You could PM someone to do some sort of art or picture to accompany and explain your idea, and just count them as part of your group, but just put the idea, concept, etc. was yours, and the actual drawing/creating of the art or picture was the other user's, but you told them what to draw or make a picture of.

      Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
      Great, I've an idea but no artistic talent whatsover.

      Mickey and the Beanstalk:
      QUEUE; the attraction really begins in the queue itself where we see the forlorn cow belonging to Mickey, Goofy and Donald. Our line goes around their dilapadated home where if we peak inside the windows we catch a glimpse of them sitting around the dinnerless table.

      RIDE VEHICLES; the vehicles are suspended from an overheaad track similar to Peter Pan except in this case there are 3 rows of seats with a total capacity of 10 guests. The vehicles are mostly green with brown trim and look vaguely like a giant bean sprout.

      SCENE 1; in the first scene our ride seemingly goes up and up and up as the ground appears to get further and further away until we pass thru the clouds themselves.

      SCENE 2; approaching the Giant Castle in the distance we witness Mickey and friends get attacked by huge birds of prey.

      SCENE 3; The tiny visitors from Happy Valley make themselves at home and feast on the Giants dinner table.

      SCENE 4; With the harp playing a lullaby Willie is drifting off to sleep and Mickey and gang are making their escape...just as our vehicles pass in front of the giants face his eyes shoot open!

      SCENE 5; Rapidly our ride vehicles decend the beanstalk in a full out race to the bottom.

      GIFT SHOP: The gift shop will have one distict feature, a roof that periodically gets lifted up as everyones favorite Giant, Willie peaks inside


      Here's my very ameturish attempt at concept art:

      Left click on pic to enlarge-

      Great, detailed idea!

      Originally posted by Karalora View Post
      Okay, I've refined my idea to the point where I think it's worth posting. Here goes!

      *****

      THE GREAT TOONTOWN BANK HEISTConceptLocation/FootprintPre-ShowThe Ride ItselfreallyPost-Show
      Great idea! Is this your final entry?

      Comment


      • #43
        Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

        Thanks to those making creative posts! through the first 2 pages of arguing, i thought three may be no entries.

        :yea:Good work on Beanstalk and bank Heist so far!! :yea:

        Comment


        • #44
          Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

          Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
          Great idea! Is this your final entry?
          This is definitely the idea I want to enter. If a miracle occurs and I somehow manage to come up with some concept art, is it okay if I post it also as part of the idea?
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

          Comment


          • #45
            Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

            Originally posted by Karalora View Post
            This is definitely the idea I want to enter. If a miracle occurs and I somehow manage to come up with some concept art, is it okay if I post it also as part of the idea?
            Okay, I'll put up your entry on the front post then! And, sure, you can enter concept art or add anything to your idea later, as long as it's before the due date.

            Comment


            • #46
              Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

              I have an idea, but I haven't been able to develop it into an attraction. Basically I would take the mirror effect from TOT and using it in Fantasyland as an interactive Magic Mirror (loosely tied to Snow White). Maybe a hall of mirrors that at different points either morph your image as you go by, or even put your image into different scenes projected in the mirrors.
              If nothing else I definately see this being a fun thing to include in a line queue, because it could be themed to fit almost any attraction, and as it is mostly a software application (asside from video screens and cameras) could easily be changed over time to add new effects.
              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!

              Comment


              • #47
                Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                Originally posted by longears View Post
                I have an idea, but I haven't been able to develop it into an attraction. Basically I would take the mirror effect from TOT and using it in Fantasyland as an interactive Magic Mirror (loosely tied to Snow White). Maybe a hall of mirrors that at different points either morph your image as you go by, or even put your image into different scenes projected in the mirrors.
                If nothing else I definately see this being a fun thing to include in a line queue, because it could be themed to fit almost any attraction, and as it is mostly a software application (asside from video screens and cameras) could easily be changed over time to add new effects.
                This is probably one of the best ideas I've heard on this thread. It's so simple, but it works perfectly for Fantasyland and it's the kind of thing that Disney does to improve things little by little frequently. I don't think it needs to be anything other than a queue, preshow, or even shop element. I like the idea.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                  I see Mary Poppins as a show with live performers, rather than a ride-through attraction. A new theater will be built in the general area of Videopolis. The exterior of the theater would look like the white house seen in the movie.

                  The entry and waiting area will have sidewalk artists as in the movie, but with the sophisticated chalk artists now in practice around the world that produce startlingly realistic scenes that appear three-dimensional.

                  The rest of the waiting area will be landscaped with plenty of shade trees and benches, and guests will be allowed to purchase a handful of bird seed for two pennies, then scatter the seed in a special feeding area.

                  The interior of the building would be nominally designed as the interior of the house, but the stage will be changeable to fit various scenes, such as "Chim Chim Cheree" danced on the rooftops of London. Mirrors will be used to simulate the tea party on the ceiling scene.

                  There will be 400 seats in the theater, in 20 rows of 20, with an aisle in the middle. The seats will be divided into 8 sections with color-coded seats, for the purpose of audience participation.

                  Live actors will appear in all singing roles, with live microphones - no lip syncing. The accompanying music will be pre-recorded, but the sound system will be state of the art.

                  The entrance of Mary Poppins will be of course by umbrella, and the show will be an abridged version of the movie with six songs. Supertitles will be shown above the stage and the audience will be encouraged to sing along with every song. Songs included will be:

                  "Jolly Holiday"
                  "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - this will be done as an audience participation song, dividing the audience into 8 sections, each one singing a brief syllable or phrase, i.e., "Super" "cali" "fragi" "listic" "expi" "ali" "do" and "cious." The rest of the lyrics are sung by all audience members. The song will start slow but each chorus will get faster than the previous one.
                  "Feed the Birds"
                  "Let's Go Fly a Kite" - kites used by the actors will fly above the audience
                  "A Spoonful of Sugar"
                  "Chim Chim Cheree" - show-stopping song and choreographed dance number with chimney sweeps

                  In the final scene, a repise of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," Mary opens her umbrella and flies over the audience before making her exit. The theater will have to be designed and built specifically with this purpose in mind. The actress playing Mary will of course have to be willing to perform the stunt.

                  When the show has concluded, the audience exits through doors on the right and walks through a gift shop. The gift shop of course sells umbrellas, chimney sweepers, and sidewalk chalk. The gift shop exits into Mickey's Toontown.

                  The show will last 45 minutes and will start every 90 minutes, with a total of 8 shows per day. Guests can buy reserved seat tickets to any show that day. The price for a reserved seat ticket is $5 per person, no matter what age. Even a baby in a stroller requires a $5 charge if they want a reserved ticket. There is no queue for reserved seat ticket holders, just the waiting area described before.

                  Guests who wish to see the show on a standby basis do not have to purchase a ticket, they can see the show for free, but they have to wait in a queue. Each performance starts with 400 available seats, but as tickets sell for them, the number of available standby seats is reduced. A lighted screen near the standby queue displays the number of available standby seats, and is updated continuously as tickets sell. The queue has numbers on the ground, and if everyone in the queue is standing properly on a number, then guests will be able to know if they will be allowed in as standby guests for the next show. Standby guests will have to take the seats they are directed to by cast members. The standby queue will be for the next performance only, in other words guests cannot stand there and wait for another show beyond the next performance.

                  Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke will be special guests at the grand opening of this attraction, and will even perform one benefit performance of the show themselves, though the vocal parts will be specially arranged for them to suit their current needs. Julie Andrews will not be required to perform the flying stunts and a body double will be available for those. Tickets to the benefit performance will be $500 per person, sold in advance, and the $200,000 net proceeds will be divided evenly between Julie Andrews' next facelift choice of charity and Dick Van Dyke's drinking habits choice of charity.

                  Since the theater is designed with a London theme, and with the ability to make an actor "fly" inside the theater, the same facility could be used for a live Peter Pan show, using songs from the 1953 animated film.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                    Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    I see Mary Poppins as a show with live performers, rather than a ride-through attraction. A new theater will be built in the general area of Videopolis. The exterior of the theater would look like the white house seen in the movie.

                    The entry and waiting area will have sidewalk artists as in the movie, but with the sophisticated chalk artists now in practice around the world that produce startlingly realistic scenes that appear three-dimensional.

                    The rest of the waiting area will be landscaped with plenty of shade trees and benches, and guests will be allowed to purchase a handful of bird seed for two pennies, then scatter the seed in a special feeding area.

                    The interior of the building would be nominally designed as the interior of the house, but the stage will be changeable to fit various scenes, such as "Chim Chim Cheree" danced on the rooftops of London. Mirrors will be used to simulate the tea party on the ceiling scene.

                    There will be 400 seats in the theater, in 20 rows of 20, with an aisle in the middle. The seats will be divided into 8 sections with color-coded seats, for the purpose of audience participation.

                    Live actors will appear in all singing roles, with live microphones - no lip syncing. The accompanying music will be pre-recorded, but the sound system will be state of the art.

                    The entrance of Mary Poppins will be of course by umbrella, and the show will be an abridged version of the movie with six songs. Supertitles will be shown above the stage and the audience will be encouraged to sing along with every song. Songs included will be:

                    "Jolly Holiday"
                    "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - this will be done as an audience participation song, dividing the audience into 8 sections, each one singing a brief syllable or phrase, i.e., "Super" "cali" "fragi" "listic" "expi" "ali" "do" and "cious." The rest of the lyrics are sung by all audience members. The song will start slow but each chorus will get faster than the previous one.
                    "Feed the Birds"
                    "Let's Go Fly a Kite" - kites used by the actors will fly above the audience
                    "A Spoonful of Sugar"
                    "Chim Chim Cheree" - show-stopping song and choreographed dance number with chimney sweeps

                    In the final scene, a repise of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," Mary opens her umbrella and flies over the audience before making her exit. The theater will have to be designed and built specifically with this purpose in mind. The actress playing Mary will of course have to be willing to perform the stunt.

                    When the show has concluded, the audience exits through doors on the right and walks through a gift shop. The gift shop of course sells umbrellas, chimney sweepers, and sidewalk chalk. The gift shop exits into Mickey's Toontown.

                    The show will last 45 minutes and will start every 90 minutes, with a total of 8 shows per day. Guests can buy reserved seat tickets to any show that day. The price for a reserved seat ticket is $5 per person, no matter what age. Even a baby in a stroller requires a $5 charge if they want a reserved ticket. There is no queue for reserved seat ticket holders, just the waiting area described before.

                    Guests who wish to see the show on a standby basis do not have to purchase a ticket, they can see the show for free, but they have to wait in a queue. Each performance starts with 400 available seats, but as tickets sell for them, the number of available standby seats is reduced. A lighted screen near the standby queue displays the number of available standby seats, and is updated continuously as tickets sell. The queue has numbers on the ground, and if everyone in the queue is standing properly on a number, then guests will be able to know if they will be allowed in as standby guests for the next show. Standby guests will have to take the seats they are directed to by cast members. The standby queue will be for the next performance only, in other words guests cannot stand there and wait for another show beyond the next performance.

                    Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke will be special guests at the grand opening of this attraction, and will even perform one benefit performance of the show themselves, though the vocal parts will be specially arranged for them to suit their current needs. Julie Andrews will not be required to perform the flying stunts and a body double will be available for those. Tickets to the benefit performance will be $500 per person, sold in advance, and the $200,000 net proceeds will be divided evenly between Julie Andrews' next facelift choice of charity and Dick Van Dyke's drinking habits choice of charity.

                    Since the theater is designed with a London theme, and with the ability to make an actor "fly" inside the theater, the same facility could be used for a live Peter Pan show, using songs from the 1953 animated film.
                    Great entry! I'll put it up on the front page with the others!

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                      Ooo! This looks fun

                      I'm in!

                      -skips off to start drawing-
                      You never know who you will run into next . . .

                      http://whatadilemma.deviantart.com/

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Re: MICKEY AND THE BEANSTALK

                        Concept art for scenes 1 and 3 are done.....can you believe I have no formal training in art

                        Mickey and the Beanstalk:

                        QUEUE; the attraction really begins in the queue itself where we see the forlorn cow belonging to Mickey, Goofy and Donald. Our line goes around their dilapadated home where if we peak inside the windows we catch a glimpse of them sitting around the dinnerless table.



                        RIDE VEHICLES; the vehicles are suspended from an overheaad track similar to Peter Pan except in this case there are 3 rows of seats with a total capacity of 10 guests. The vehicles are mostly green with brown trim and look vaguely like a giant bean sprout.

                        SCENE 1; in the first scene our ride seemingly goes up and up and up as the ground appears to get further and further away until we pass thru the clouds themselves.





                        SCENE 2; approaching the Giant Castle in the distance we witness Mickey and friends get attacked by huge dragonflies.

                        SCENE 3; The tiny visitors from Happy Valley make themselves at home and feast on the Giants dinner table.



                        SCENE 4; With the harp playing a lullaby Willie is drifting off to sleep and Mickey and gang are making their escape...just as our vehicles pass in front of the giants face his eyes shoot open!

                        SCENE 5; Rapidly our ride vehicles decend the beanstalk in a full out race to the bottom.

                        GIFT SHOP: The gift shop will have one distict feature, a roof that periodically gets lifted up as everyones favorite Giant, Willie peaks inside




                        Left click on pic to enlarge-

                        Last edited by sleepyjeff; 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM.
                        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                          Awesome concept art! I'll add it to the front page!

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                            Name: Discovery Bay, Discovery Cove, Discoveryland
                            Location: Between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (Northeast corner of the Park)
                            Adjusted Current Attractions: Autopia will be gone, Monorail will be shortened as it travels around Tomorrowland, Sub Attraction Building will be underneath the new Volcano attraction (with 20k leagues Under the Sea Subs), and the Peoplemmover track will be used, but with a different layout.

                            Discovery Area Description: This new land will be located between Fantasy and the world of Tomorrow. It will be the perfect location to bring both themed areas together. Like NOS does for Frontierland, Adventureland, and Critter Country.

                            Submarine Attraction: The Finding Nemo theme would be a distant memory. In its place will be an attraction themed to the 20k Leagues Under the Sea book or movies. It will have the latest effects as you come in and out of the show buildings and finally face to face with a giant squid.

                            Little Mermaid or Aquatopia: With Little Mermaid being built in DCA I would move the Aquatopia into the old Motor Boat Cruise area.

                            Discovery Mountain / Fire Mountain / Mysterious Mountain: Same exact theme as the TDS attraction, but with a longer track layout. I even recommend using some of the existing Peoplemover track layout.
                            So the attractione will board in the new land but you will tour through Tomorrowland area before your journey to the center of the earth and come face to face with the fire monster.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                              ^ Great entry! added to the front page

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                When we gonna get a new topic?
                                Armchair Imagineering!:

                                The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

                                Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
                                Grizzly Peak Mining District

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                  Originally posted by MistaDee View Post
                                  When we gonna get a new topic?
                                  Next round Check the front page for more info

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                    Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
                                    Next round Check the front page for more info
                                    Oooh ok good if you take suggestions may I suggest a ride for Hollywood Pictures Backlot Phase 2? I've got an idea i've been kickin around for a while now.
                                    Armchair Imagineering!:

                                    The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

                                    Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
                                    Grizzly Peak Mining District

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                      Originally posted by MistaDee View Post
                                      Oooh ok good if you take suggestions may I suggest a ride for Hollywood Pictures Backlot Phase 2? I've got an idea i've been kickin around for a while now.
                                      The winner of this round will choose the next prompt. Voting will be in a few weeks, so you can suggest on the voting thread or PM them when they win.

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                        Disney Princess great concept for a thread. On the first post maybe you could bold the words like Prompt, Rules, etc so its easier to distinguish for people and put ------ under each entry to separate those who enter one. Just some ideas for the first post. Again good job on the thread.
                                        DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Re: The Disneyland Imagineering Competition

                                          ^ Okay, good idea! I'll probably do that when I make the voting thread. Right now, I pretty much have them on the first post just so I don't lose them and have to look through the pages by the time I make the voting thread.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X