• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ttrocc7007
    We Want The Redhead
    • Feb 2008

[Chat] Scariest 'Food' Item?

I have noticed in my many years of attending the park that the wildlife in the area (cats, ducks, mice, rats, bugs) do an even better job keeping the streets and footpaths clear and clean of food than even the legendary Disneyland sweepers (of which there appear to be fewer every year).
    Spilled popcorn?
    Gone in a flash!
    Bits of churro?
    Swooped up by flocks of sparrows faster than you can say Jack Skellington.
    You name it, all swooped on by hungry rodents and happy little feathered friends. All except for one item.
    Of all the items these beasties will eat, there is one that is seemingly so inedible that none but the human species alone would dare ingest. The dreaded Disneyland turkey leg.
    Honestly, I have seen hunks of those things on the ground, return to the same spot an hour later and STILL see the same hunk of whatever that stuff is made of still laying in the same place.
    Not even the heartiest mid-sized rat is willing to attempt a nibble.
    I've read other MC'ers here write about how the taste more like ham, some who are unable to identify exactly what they taste like, and others like myself who are just plain fearful of the caveman (or woman) club like appearance of the purportedly avian meat thingies they claim to be.
    They get my vote hands down for the single scariest 'food' item in Disneyland.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!
  • Bob Weaver
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2009

Re: Scariest 'Food' Item?

Just the sight of those turkey legs makes me think of the Flintstones. And not in a good way. It makes you wonder if you're at Disneyland or Jurassic Park. And the fact that one has 1,029 calories makes me think of Weight Watchers. Whoever came up with the idea of selling turkey legs at Disneyland has a cruel, sick and morbid sense of humor. And not in a good way.

Comment

• Peoplemover Priit
      California Estonian
      • Feb 2008

They're not bad. they're actually really good.

Comment

• Krillinish
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2007

I like the turkey legs. And all my friends like them too. I didn't know there was such turkey leg-hate.

Comment

• I.M. Loco
          MiceChatter
          • Aug 2009

Too much like ham. They don't taste good enough to justify the absurd calorie count.
          https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Comment

• ChessurInWonderland
            Future Cast Member
            • Jul 2009

I have to say Turkey legs. I love things from Food Stands, but Turkey Legs, I'm terrified to try! I've heard people say they taste nothing like they smell like, but they could taste better than anything on earth and I wouldn't try them. It's not really as much how they look(though I hate the pink look of the meat, it makes me think its undercooked though its not), it's the horrible smell!

Comment

• HelloKimmie
              Missing Main Street
              • Jan 2009

There was a show on the travel channel (I can't remember if it was behind-the-scenes at Disneyland, or the show all about Disney food...?) but it glorified the turkey leg. After seeing it, I had to try one!

Result: disappointed.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
              -Roald Dahl
              sigpic

Comment

• XenoSoldier108
                Destruction is Inevitable
                • Oct 2006

No, stay away from the turkey legs. I used to work for ODV and would sometimes help "make" them. They are processed meat that is all ready packaged and cooked when they are boxed and delivered to disneyland. They are smoked in the same vein of smoking hams or hot durgers. This is one of the reasons it has a pinkish hue to the meat along with that ham taste. Agian they come already cooked, frozen and packaged. All that is done is they're put into a huge convection oven and heated up frozen. They are then w and twisted in those paper aluminum wrappers and sent out to the hot food carts. The chimies are done the same way. The chimies are actually cheap regular burritos that are meant to be heated in the microwave, but are instead deep fried frozen. So if you like super processed meat with a whole bunch of perservatives and taste chemicals loaded with calories, be my guest and buy an 8.00 "turkey" leg.

Comment

• ttrocc7007
                  We Want The Redhead
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by XenoSoldier108 View Post
                  They are processed meat that is all ready packaged and cooked when they are boxed and delivered to disneyland. They are smoked in the same vein of smoking hams or hot durgers. This is one of the reasons it has a pinkish hue to the meat along with that ham taste. Agian they come already cooked, frozen and packaged. All that is done is they're put into a huge convection oven and heated up frozen. They are then w and twisted in those paper aluminum wrappers and sent out to the hot food carts. The chimies are done the same way. The chimies are actually cheap regular burritos that are meant to be heated in the microwave, but are instead deep fried frozen. So if you like super processed meat with a whole bunch of perservatives and taste chemicals loaded with calories, be my guest and buy an 8.00 "turkey" leg.
                  You make it sound so appetizing....UGH!
                  First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                  First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                  BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

• LangenFox
                    Disney/Anime/Furry Fan
                    • Apr 2009

I remembered that the turkey leg's meat are stringy, stretchy, and not tender. When I first bit the meat, it's blood (juices) came out. It was not-so delicious. Just your average sweet pink ham with skin on it.

Not the best Disney theme park and not recommended. They are so many legs at the food carts at DCA and Disneyland. But most people bought a Corn on the Stick along with the legs.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                    Save
                    Sav

Comment

• DisneyLove
                      Swish and Flicker
                      • Jul 2009

Turkey legs for sure. I have actually only seen them in Disneyland/ Disney World.
                      "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." -Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• jmadonich27
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

Do you guys really expect healthy living food to be available at a theme park? Get real. No place is better or worse than the next. I eat very healthy at home and am in the process of being a fitness trainer; but when I go to Disneyland. I plan on eating whatever I want. That 800 calorie cinnamon roll; my stomach. No point in limiting yourself at a place that is limitless.
                        Disneyland <3
                        -"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Comment

• d1mex
                          MiceChatter
                          • Aug 2009

The turkey legs look good, but also are incredibly huge. No thanks. Especially from what I just read.

Comment

• leopardchucks
                            Riff Raff, Street Rat
                            • Aug 2009

"Turkey"Legs are popular at the Ren. Fair. I tried one last year and was not too impressed. Like the other poster said, the meat was all stringy and sinewy. I don't recall it having a terrible odor, but I do remember thinking it sure as heck didn't taste like turkey.
                            For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                            http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

• leslie_537
                              Disney Fan
                              • Apr 2009

tried one and YUCK!
                              --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Comment

• LittleImagineer
                                Future Imagineer! =D
                                • Jun 2009

I've never tried a turkey leg. I've been too afraid! They look disgusting and dry! One time five of my friends came to Disneyland with me though and one of them bough a turkey leg and they were all eating it. It disgusted me. It just looks so gross
                                sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                                Disney is my life <3
                                Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                                Future Imagineer <3
                                Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

• StrikeYerColors
                                  A Weather Eye Open
                                  • Mar 2007

I agree that the turkey legs are scary and gross. First of all, I don't like dark meat from chicken or turkey, so I wouldn't eat it even if it was prepared fresh in front of you and of a normal meat serving size, but after hearing of how they are received and prepared, and seeing how GIANT they are, I'd advise even those of my friends who like dark meat to stay away. They smell very strongly and look gross and slimy/stringy as well. Seeing people walking around eating them (I guess that's why they're semi-popular, as you don't have to sit down; everyone loves to mutlitask) makes them look like barbarians (also explains why they're so popular at Ren Fair, where people WANT to look like a barbarian sometimes). Ugh, just the thought of watching people tear into them, strings coming out of their teeth and the bloody juice dripping down their face is making me cringe! I, mean, to each his own if you want to buy and eat it, but please sit down and don't wander around the park where I have to watch you. I can't believe they're building a whole nother stand for these and the chimichangas! So much for that semi-healthy direction they were trying to take the snacks in for the past few years.
                                  "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

• MonstersGoBoo!
                                    You didn't see anything!
                                    • Jun 2008

I've never tried a turkey leg and I never will.

Comment

• DLandFansAZ
                                      .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
                                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by XenoSoldier108 View Post
                                      No, stay away from the turkey legs. I used to work for ODV and would sometimes help "make" them. They are processed meat that is all ready packaged and cooked when they are boxed and delivered to disneyland.

They are processed? How are they processed. Let's see Disney takes all the meat off the bone, processes it and sticks it back on. And you used to make them, however they are boxed (in what box?) and delivered to Disneyland so what did you do, reheat them? I'm not saying they are any good, but don't bash things just to be cool.
                                      Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

• leopardchucks
                                        Riff Raff, Street Rat
                                        • Aug 2009

Well, somebody HAS got to like them! They wouldn't build the new Fantasyland booth for them if they weren't making big bucks. Let's hear from the Turkeyleg fans! Tell us why you like them! Try to convince us to join the 'dark (meat) side'!
                                        For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                                        http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X