Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boyfriend's first ever trip to DLR. How to make it really special?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Boyfriend's first ever trip to DLR. How to make it really special?

Hey all!
    I'm planning on taking my boyfriend to Disneyland in December and I want to make sure he has a great time. I've been loads of times so I know what makes me happy, but I want him to be happy too. I had a couple questions, and I'm totally open to all suggestions anyone has to make it even more special for him!
    I'm planning for either Dec 18-22 or 19-23. I know it'll probably be busy on those days, but it's the best time we could come up with.

First question, does anyone know of any closures at that time? Are there any big "can't miss it" attractions scheduled to be closed? The Disneyland site doesn't have December schedules on their calendar yet.
    On that topic, what about Fantasmic and the fireworks? Anyone know the schedule for those?

And finally, this one isn't actually about Disneyland, but he's expressed an interest. Beaches? Will the weather be nice enough to hit the beach for a day or two? And what beaches does everyone recommend in the Anaheim/OC area?

Those are all my questions for the time being. Thanks in advance! I know I can always trust the MC-ers for good DL info :bow:
    Peace, Love, and Mickey Mouse! :ap:

Re: Boyfriend's first ever trip to DLR. How to make it really special?

I don't know of any major ride closures at this time.
    I don't know the schedule for Fantasmic! or the fireworks yetm but you CAN NOT miss the Christmas fireworks! Very romantic and the snow is just fabulous. ;]

The beach? Hmmm. I'm not sure. We never, ever go to the beach so I have no clue
    sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

The beach is nice in winter, not for swimming of course but nice for a walk/dinner, etc.

I like Newport Beach/Huntington Beach myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoozie View Post
        Hey all!
        I'm planning on taking my boyfriend to Disneyland in December and I want to make sure he has a great time. I've been loads of times so I know what makes me happy, but I want him to be happy too.
        That's so sweet

On that topic, what about Fantasmic and the fireworks? Anyone know the schedule for those?
        Well, IDk if Fantasmic will be up and running during this time, because Disneyland was supose to drain the ROA. But you never know, maybe DL will have it, due to the large crowds during the holiday season And DL is going to have the holiday fireworks, IDK the name of the show

Will the weather be nice enough to hit the beach for a day or two?
        Beaches in December it would be nice just to see the ocean view and take a little walk, but not to swim Huntington Beach would be the best beach to go Good luck with your trip planning
        "Somewhere Between Fright and Fantasy, Good Battles Evil In A Fiery Clash At The River's Edge."
        sigpic

Comment

The beaches here in the winter time are very nice in that they are not crowded and it is easy to find a parking space. The drawback is that it can be COLD. My nephew, who did some scuba diving off of Laguna Beach last March told me that the water was 52 degrees! And that is March, not December. So I advise not to go in the water.

But it would seem to me that you simply just want to go for a walk on the beach with your boyfreind. Huntington Beach and the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach are nice places, but they are more developed than the beaches further south as you start heading into Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach. In this case I highly reccommend Little Corona, which is in a cove on the southern end of Corona del Mar State Beach. As you go further south, Crystal Cove State Beach is quite nice, and Laguna Beach has nice beaches such as Shaw's Cove or Wood's Cove. For a romantic dinner I highly reccomend Las Brisas, which is in Laguna Beach and overlooks Shaw's Cove. It really doesn't matter which beach you choose -- time-wise, Huntington and Newport are about the same distance from the DLR. Laguna is a little longer but not so long that it is impossible.

I've posted this picture quite a bit. It is Little Corona, and it is about 20 - 25 minutes away from Disneyland. I hope this is the type of beach you are looking for.

Comment

Fantasmic! normally runs through the Holiday season, on weekends, and as you get closer to Christmas, on weekdays as well. I don't think the RoA will be drained and yearly refurb work on F! will start until after New Years.

Christmas fireworks will definitely be running, probably ever day close to Christmas when you are planning for. However, keep in mind the the fireworks are the most likely show to get canceled, so don't wait until the last night to try to catch them; try the first night and then if it's too windy for them you can try again on the following nights.

If you know what makes you happy, I think definitely do all those things because the happiness will rub off! But try to show him as much as you can; not just in terms of rides but in terms of small shows (like catch the Dapper Dans, Billy Hill, etc) and in terms of exploring. If there are things at Disneyland that you've never done, it will be a good time to experience something new together too!

Maybe save up a little cash for a nice meal. There are many good "sit down" restaraunts in the parks (meaning with waiters). You could get a meal (or just dessert) at the Blue Bayou to experience the atmosphere. Cafe Orleans has a great reputation for being tasty, and I recently ate at Wine Country Trattoria in DCA and was suprised by how reasonable the price was. Since Christmas will be busier, I recommend calling ahead to get priority seating if you'd like to eat at any sit-downs.

I don't know if your boyfreind has any specific movies or characters that he likes, butit could be really fun to get a photo of you two with that character or with Mickey, and pick out a cute Disneyland frame to put it in to commemorate his first visit.

Keep in mind so close to Christmas will be busy busy busy! I'm sure the park will be pulling out all the stops in terms of entertainments and the little things, so it will be a fun time to go, but make sure to teach him how to use FP to your best advantage, and to bring an amusement to play with while waiting a little longer for good seats for the big shows.
            "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

First of all... Trust a Canadian... I went to the beach on Christmas day AND went into the water... Be prepared to be walking around california in shorts and everyone commenting... You're from Canada eh...

Have FUN! Come on in the water is warm!

Comment

I will be going in November for a week and like yourself, I have been loads of times,but I want to make it special for my 18-yr-old brother who has never been. I am planning on making a zine for each different land. I intend to fill it with fun facts about rides, decor, etc., as well as drawings, quotes, pix of what it used to look like in the past.... I thought it would combine all my knowledge of the parks nicely and I wouldn't have to bore him with my constant know-it-all chatter. So if you know "insider" details (like why is one spire on the castle not gilded like the rest?)....it would be fun to point those out to him.

And if you can't eat at the Blue Bayou, try the Jazz Kitchen in DTD. It's a smidge pricey, but the view from the upstairs patio at sunset is stunning. Plus, they serve champagne!
                For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

ohh, if you do some meet and greets and are able to whisper to the handler to tell any face characters that it's your boyfriend's birthday, well when you 2 get up there the face character knows it is his birthday and will surprise him by already knowing in advance, film it, put it on youtube, hopefully Cruella DeVil will be funny about it and make it special.

Comment

I took my husband to Disneyland for his first time last December. I would recommend making sure you start with one of the big E-Ticket attractions to get him in the mind frame. I started with POTC and he loved it so much that it kind of opened his mind to the other rides and attractions. He even loved the Tiki room. My biggest suggestion is make sure to give yourselves enough time. Rushing will ruin everything or just feeling like you're missing things or pressed for time. Us Disneyland obsessives know that you can sprint after the MSELP and get to see the fireworks then sprint to get seats for the second Fantasmic but that's not how you want a newbie to experience it.

Usually they try to limit closures at that time as much as possible because of how popular the parks are at Christmas. Usually all refurbs are done after the new years madness ends.
                    sigpic
                    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

Thanks all! Super helpful!
                      Micoofy, it's not his birthday, just his first trip. Thanks all the same for the tip though! I'll remember it for when it actually IS his birthday :thumbup:

Comment

PROPOSE to him during the Holiday fireworks right when the snow starts to fall at main street.
                        -plagued

Comment

Originally posted by plagued View Post
                          PROPOSE to him during the Holiday fireworks right when the snow starts to fall at main street.
                          Great Scott! She doesn't have to bring matrimony into this! The goal is for him to have a fun trip!
                          For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                          http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

hahahaha! :lol:Well I admit that would be incredibly romantic. I'm not sure we're ready for that step yet lol.

Comment

=D go on mickey's fun wheel at night! take the gondola's that dont move. you'll get the best view and it could be romantic (as far as i know nobody can see you up there either)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X