Do you do anything special to get ready for a trip to DLR?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gandalf75
    Wishing upon a star....
    • Mar 2009

[Chat] Do you do anything special to get ready for a trip to DLR?

We have 17 days before our next trip to Disneyland. And I was wondering what people do to get ready for trips to Disney???

Some of the things I do are:

1) Make a paper count down chain and remove a link everyday until we get to the drive to Disney link

2) Watch a Disney movie once or twice a week

3) Since it is a 12 hour drive, I make up bags for my friends and family driving with me filled with Mad Libs, silly putty, etc... (even though we are grown ups) and lipgloss, hand sanitizer, lotion, gum, mints and so on...

I was wondering what you guys do to prepare or get yourselves excited for an upcoming visit?
  • Ron W
    MiceChatter
    • Jul 2009

Re: Do you do anything special to get ready for a trip to DLR?

Since I am only 20 mins. away, I just get in the car and go. I like the idea of watching Disney movies to get in the mood and I would suggest narrowing it down to movies that have attractions based on them so they will be fresh in your mind and you will be able to "get" the references.

Comment

• cositaluvsmickey
      Only the Lonely
      • Feb 2009

I only 15 mins..but I listen to disney radio stations and then I jump into my car and put even more disney music to hype me up
      "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Comment

• kelbelle
        New MiceChatter
        • Sep 2009

I had never seen Nightmare Before Christmas, and we watched it last night to do our "homework" before going to the park for halloweentime, just to have a frame of reference.

Usually it just involves breaking out the ugly but comfortable shoes.

Comment

• SCUBAbe
          no flash photography...
          • Jan 2005

I don't do anything...except stop by an atm and take out more cash than I normally carry on me...

Comment

• ASC
            New MiceChatter
            • Sep 2009

Cram a bunch of Disney movies and music on my iPod and just GO!
            Disneyland: the best place to go to if you have the brain to do so.

Comment

• ASC
              New MiceChatter
              • Sep 2009

I also, grab all my pins, clean them individually, pack them in a special case, then I'm off.
              Disneyland: the best place to go to if you have the brain to do so.

Comment

• tikicub
                Shag lover
                • Jan 2009

1. mentally prepare self for crowds.
                2. mentally prepare self for waiting in lines.
                3. mentally prepare self for dealing with people who should never have been allowed to live past age 12, let alone reproduced and who now let their children run wild sans any apparent discipline or regard for anyone else.
                4. buy lots of hand sanitizer.
                5. load Disney tunes on the mp3 player.
                Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

Comment

• lou_mom
                  Disneymom
                  • Mar 2006

my kids make a paper chain and we watch the Disneyland travel videos.

Comment

• lou_mom
                    Disneymom
                    • Mar 2006

Tiki.... if it is such a mental preperation (sp.) to go to Disneyland then why go? I'm not rying to be rude just wondering where you find the fun.

Comment

• tikicub
                      Shag lover
                      • Jan 2009

*chuckle* I love Disneyland but hate crowds. Disneyland is worth the preparation!!! :-)

(for now, but if the AP thing gets worse... I'll have to see)
                      Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

Comment

• d1mex
                        MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

This past time I prepared by listening to my friends Disneyland soundtrack, that got me really pumped up.

Other than that I just watch Disney movies or simply remember how awesome it felt the last time I went. That always helps.

Comment

• SCUBAbe
                          no flash photography...
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tikicub View Post
                          1. mentally prepare self for crowds.
                          2. mentally prepare self for waiting in lines.
                          3. mentally prepare self for dealing with people who should never have been allowed to live past age 12, let alone reproduced and who now let their children run wild sans any apparent discipline or regard for anyone else.
                          4. buy lots of hand sanitizer.
                          5. load Disney tunes on the mp3 player.
                          1-3 can be solved with valium...

Comment

• Mad_Hatter_Lover
                            I LOVE DISNEYLAND <3
                            • Sep 2009

I just listen to a lot, and I mean A LOT of Disneyland related music!

Comment

• kaykay07
                              Kay <3 Buzz
                              • Mar 2008

1. gather a lot of patience so i can deal with traffic, crowds and lines
                              2. put gas in car the night b4 i leave (im like 100miles away hence the reason i do so)
                              3. make sure i already know what i want to wear and how i will style my hair lol
                              4. get enough sleep
                              5. do some stretchings lol
                              There are tons of fish in the sea... you just gotta find your NEMO!
                              :thumbup:

Comment

• RooBear
                                I'm back! Sorta...
                                • Jun 2005

In the weeks prior, I hit the gym's treadmill and slowly increase my ability to walk a bit each day.

Cash in my Reward Points on my Disney Visa.

2 weeks beforehand, I figure out what time I'll need to wake up in California and start to reset my biological clock by waking up at that time MST. Usually it's 5am to go to the East coast; 6am for the West Coast.

Saturday nights are usually set aside for friends and the flicks, but before a Disney Park, I'll usually try to save money by staying in watching Disney movies to prep, as it were.

Peace,
                                Roo
                                husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

• JIrish780
                                  Golden Teeth and Tones
                                  • Dec 2008

Lots of good suggestions, especially the walking. I'll have to get a regime ready for April so I can be physically up to snuff. Loading up the iPod is a good idea, too. I need a good version of Grim Grinning Ghosts!

In the 8 days before my flight, I'm planning a Disney animated flick for each night, starting with Tinkerbell, then Monsters Inc and working my way backwards chronologically through some other personal faves until I reach Snow White on the night before my trip.
                                  Stuck in Western NY, and feeling so far away from the Magic.

Comment

• wvnative
                                    Blow me to Bermuda!
                                    • Jul 2006

We're 6 hours away and it's usually a 4 day trip for us.

Our countdown is mickey heads and starts at 90 days out. There are "thing to do/watch/find/see under random heads. Sometime during that 90 days we'll watch every Disney movie we own. There are at least 2 scavenger hunts and Disney themed games and food.

I also keep a list of what needs to be done by a certain time period. For instance, we buy park tickets about a month out. I check the weather about a week out. A couple days before we leave, I clean the car, select/make CD's for the trip and do the grocery shopping. The day before is all the last minute stuff.

Of course, by the time the day before gets here I am an overly excited basket case and wish I'd done some mental preparations. lol

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Comment

• Darth Mickey
                                      Laughing Place Finder
                                      • May 2009

Since our Disneyland trips involve a flight, major expense and major preparations I usually find myself calling the hotel and Disney dining to reconfirm our reservations. I'll also ask if the front desk can have a signed character photo or two for my daughter when we check in.

I also usually find myself watching the Travel Channel shows on Disneyland and Disneyworld I've recorded on the DVR over the last year as well as the Disney Vacation planning DVDs. My daughter can't get enough of Samantha Brown's Disney Favorites or the "Disney on a Dime" special they show from time to time.

The other thing we do is talk and daydream about what rides we want to go on, what characters we want to meet and what kind of adventures we might have.
                                      Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Cruise: Disney Fantasy 13

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Comment

• DebiTasha
                                        Once Upon a Dream
                                        • Sep 2007

Lurk around Mice Chat!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X