This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Wheelhouse closed off?

Today at Disneyland me and my dad asked if we were able to to go in the wheel house and a cast member said they wernt letting anyone up for saftey reasons. My dad asked if someone fell down the stairs but someone had fallen down a hole... For those who have ridden in the wheelhouse where would there be a hole in there? And is it big enough for a person to get caught or literally fall down it? Also for now the wheel house is closed indefinately.

OT- they also hav closed off haunted mansion and space for the overlay and they are blockin off the California letters
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Re: Wheelhouse closed off?

I heard that someone was denied access a little while back. But I never knew why. I doubt it that someone fell down a hole though...

Comment

I remember the stairs up to the wheelhouse were steep and that it was essentially a hole in the floor. There isn't a door or cover so it is possible someone fell down while not paying attention. Being up there was an amazing experience for our little ones.
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

uhhhh I hate to sound stupid, but where and what is the wheelhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
          uhhhh I hate to sound stupid, but where and what is the wheelhouse?
          Where you pilot the Mark Twain.
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
            Where you pilot the Mark Twain.
            Sort of...
            The Twain like the Columbia are both on guide rails, so the person upstairs doesn't actually 'steer' the boat.
            Likewise, the person upstairs doesn't start or stop the boat either. That's all done downstairs by the engineer who is also responsible for keeping the boiler filled with water, which is loaded on dockside by a nozzle that looks just like the kind at your local gas station. The hoses are convenuiently concealed beneath some of those 'packing cases' you see dockside toward the rear (paddle end) of the boat.
            All stopping and starting is coordinated by the engineer and the first mate who signal one another via a series of bells, the switch for those is located under the handrail near to the boarding gate.
            The person in the wheelhouse actually only presses the appropriate buttons to make the appropriate tape loops play, blows the steam whistle and rings the bell. They also make the boarding announcements.
            Hopefully they also care enough about the 'magic' of the experience to the casual observer to turn the big wheel to make it appear that they are actually controlling the boat.
            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
              Sort of...
              The Twain like the Columbia are both on guide rails, so the person upstairs doesn't actually 'steer' the boat.
              Likewise, the person upstairs doesn't start or stop the boat either. That's all done downstairs by the engineer who is also responsible for keeping the boiler filled with water, which is loaded on dockside by a nozzle that looks just like the kind at your local gas station. The hoses are convenuiently concealed beneath some of those 'packing cases' you see dockside toward the rear (paddle end) of the boat.
              All stopping and starting is coordinated by the engineer and the first mate who signal one another via a series of bells, the switch for those is located under the handrail near to the boarding gate.
              The person in the wheelhouse actually only presses the appropriate buttons to make the appropriate tape loops play, blows the steam whistle and rings the bell. They also make the boarding announcements.
              Hopefully they also care enough about the 'magic' of the experience to the casual observer to turn the big wheel to make it appear that they are actually controlling the boat.
              Very interesting, thanks for the info.
              Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

Comment

Likewise, the person upstairs doesn't start or stop the boat either. That's all done downstairs by the engineer who is also responsible for keeping the boiler filled with water, which is loaded on dockside by a nozzle that looks just like the kind at your local gas station...All stopping and starting is coordinated by the engineer and the first mate who signal one another via a series of bells, the switch for those is located under the handrail near to the boarding gate.
                ttrocc, The engineer doesn't need to fill the boiler with water--the Mark Twain's boiler is called a "package" boiler, it it is basically self-operating. Water is injected into the boiler by an on-board pump.

The engineer controls both forward and backward motion, using a "Johnson bar," and he controls speed with a rudimentary throttle--a plate-sized wheel located near the ceiling of the cage at the stern.

I believe the pilot communicates with the engineer by bells from the pilot house, not the first mate: Two bells mean it's safe to proceed; three bells signal a request to stop. I don't believe there's a way for the engineer to communicate back to the pilot house.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                  I believe the pilot communicates with the engineer by bells from the pilot house, not the first mate: Two bells mean it's safe to proceed; three bells signal a request to stop. I don't believe there's a way for the engineer to communicate back to the pilot house.
                  Hi Steve,
                  It's always a pleasure.
                  Next time you make it out our way, hop aboard and as the Twain nears the dock stand next to the boarding rail. Watch the first mate as he 'secretly' reaches under the railing just forward of the boarding bar and presses the button for the bell. Either that or YOU reach under (just DON'T PRESS THE BUTTON) and you'll feel them for yourself.
                  The engineer then responds with his own bell button to acknowledge the message was recieved.
                  See you on the Ward Kimball!

Comment

Hi Steve,
                    It's always a pleasure.
                    Next time you make it out our way, hop aboard and as the Twain nears the dock stand next to the boarding rail. Watch the first mate as he 'secretly' reaches under the railing just forward of the boarding bar and presses the button for the bell. Either that or YOU reach under (just DON'T PRESS THE BUTTON) and you'll feel them for yourself.
                    The engineer then responds with his own bell button to acknowledge the message was recieved.
                    See you on the Ward Kimball!
                    Well, we'll see! Not sure how a bell signal would get to the boat from the dock, but I'll ask around and see what I can come up with!

Comment

It's on the boat's handrail.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                        Well, we'll see! Not sure how a bell signal would get to the boat from the dock, but I'll ask around and see what I can come up with!

As Mr. Fantasmic points out it is on the handrail of the Twain itself, the First Mate is on board, not on the dock. Sorry if I was unclear!

Comment

Steve, TT - you are both right. The Pilot can bell signal the Engineer from the Wheelhouse for Go and Stop when it's clear - he's the lookout, since the Engineer can't see ahead of the ship. And he gets to trigger the taped spiels and make the boarding announcements, and work the radio to Park Operations.

(It would make sense for the Engineer to have another bell to signal back up to the wheelhouse, and put that bell where the Mate can hear at the dock also. I've heard response bells, but I've never really paid attention to where that one is located. So don't take that as gospel.)

The Mate can bell signal the Engineer from that 'hidden' button under the railing for Go and Stop while docking and departing. Not from the dock per se, if the Mate was standing on the dock he simply reaches over to the ship and pushes the button under the railing... (Does that make more sense?)

The Mate and Engineer have to coordinate when it's safe to place the mooring rope - remember the Columbia incident? It's rather important that they not apply too much stress to that mooring rope, the Twain can snap it just as easily.

The engineer doesn't fill the boiler directly, but he does keep an eye on the operations to make sure the automatic controls are working properly - there's a good old steam operated feed pump, and an electric backup. There are remote readouts in the Engineer's cabin for the burner and boiler operations. DAMHIKT. :blush:

--<< Bruce >>--
                          There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

As Mr. Fantasmic points out it is on the handrail of the Twain itself, the First Mate is on board, not on the dock. Sorry if I was unclear!
                            Oh, got it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                              (It would make sense for the Engineer to have another bell to signal back up to the wheelhouse, and put that bell where the Mate can hear at the dock also. I've heard response bells, but I've never really paid attention to where that one is located. --

You can be sure I'll be looking for it on my next visit!

Comment

I've got a Mark Twain "SOP." Wish I was home to check it out!

Comment

I believe that the Mark Twain does indeed need to be filled with water occasionally. The exhaust of the steam pistons is vented to the atmosphere. This is evident from the stacks above the 3rd level at the stern (back).

The water released as steam has to come from somewhere.

While it has a boiler to operate the steam pistons, thus providing propulsion, it also has a electrical generator on board. It's obviously powered by a piston engine, a few times I've gotten a slight whiff of the exhaust; it smelled a lot like some sort of bio-diesel.

It'd be interesting to see someday, it seems like a pretty good set-up.

Rob

Comment

My hubby and I got to pilot the Mark Twain a few years ago and got a cool pilots certificate, I do remember going up the steep ladder/stairs and bumping my shin
                                    really good but the pain was worth the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                      I believe that the Mark Twain does indeed need to be filled with water occasionally. The exhaust of the steam pistons is vented to the atmosphere. This is evident from the stacks above the 3rd level at the stern (back).

The water released as steam has to come from somewhere.
                                      Yes, there are two large tanks built into the hull under the main deck, you can see the two brass fill plugs on the floor behind the boiler. One for pre-treated boiler feed water, one for fuel. It smells different when burned in an engine, or in a Beckett flame retention burner (Twain) or in a steam-jet oil burner (Trains).

The fuel used to be red-dye "Off-Road #2 Diesel" or "#2 Distillate Fuel Oil" - which are essentially the same as normal Diesel Fuel. Now they use a bio-diesel blend.
                                      Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                      While it has a boiler to operate the steam pistons, thus providing propulsion, it also has a electrical generator on board. It's obviously powered by a piston engine, a few times I've gotten a slight whiff of the exhaust; it smelled a lot like some sort of bio-diesel.

It'd be interesting to see someday, it seems like a pretty good set-up.
                                      It's an 8KW (IIRC) Onan diesel engine electric plant like they use on big bus-conversion motorhomes, in a closet at the stern. They have a steam powered dynamo in the 'cage' behind the boiler, but they can't use it - for openers, it has had bad bearings for decades and the Steam Dept. can't get the funds allocated to fix it.

And the dynamo is far less efficient and uses a lot of steam, meaning they have to stop for boiler water and fuel in the afternoon - using the diesel light plant they can make it all day with no fuel or water stops.

So you get to hear the not authentic diesel electric plant droning away back there.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                      There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

[QUOTE=Bruce Bergman;1055571560]
                                        meaning they have to stop for boiler water and fuel in the afternoon
                                        QUOTE]

As I pointed out in my original post, from time to time you can see the engineer scurry from his post to dig out the hose to refill the water. One CM pointed this out to me bacause I was confused thinking the thing was running on diesel. the nozzel grip is green just like the diesel nozzels you see at your local gas station.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X