This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Monorail Cafe

Anyone else remember the Monorail Cafe with great fondness? Was going through my Disneyland memorabilia last night and have a look at what I found. I really miss that restaurant!

Last edited by brian9549; 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM. Reason: Pic link broken
    :captain: Brian9549

Relive fond Memories of The Country Bears
    The Country Bear Vacation Hoedown!
    The Country Bear Jamboree
    The Country Bear Christmas Show

Come see my other vids on google and youtube, just search for brian9549 or click here or here or here

Re: Monorail Cafe

Yeh, my best friend and I used to eat here whenever we would take a trip to Disneyland. A long, long time ago. Was hoping you had pics of the restaurant!

Comment

I have some pictures of the restaurant somewhere. I just need to find those now!

Come see my other vids on google and youtube, just search for brian9549 or click here or here or here

Comment

I loved the Monorail Cafe! We always used to stay at the DLH, and always ate there at least once on the trip.

Oh the memories.
        --Mar-Que?!

Comment

please do. i made sure to eat there all the time too. I'd always park at the hotel rather than the big lot and take the monorail into the park when I visit and when the park closed late at night the monorail cafe was still open for business and you could eat a nice sit-down dinner there before driving home, something you really can't do anymore if you're staying in the hotel and it's past park closing time in the summer other than grabbing nachos at the lost bar.

Comment

I remember the Monorail Cafe, but, what about the Neon Cactus? That place was great! And "The Bellhops" would come by and sing to you while you were sitting on the patio.

Aahhh, good times.

Comment

So cute! I love maps that look like that.
              Sadly i couldn't find Mickey I did find Goofy, Donald and Minnie though lol

I have heard such good things about the Monorail cafe
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I miss the fact that the Disneyland resort no longer has an on property cafe that was always available. I really think they should relocate the pin shop and find a way to bring it back.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Sorry if I'm not getting it....Where was the monorail cafe?

BTW, Love the map. I'm fan of the large "wall" maps and have a collection. Very nice!
                  I think I remember seeing this map before but I cant remember but what is that hot air balloon looking this near IASW?
                  Somewhere in fontainbleau
                  Lies my secret garden

Comment

If I remember correctly the Monorail Cafe was about where the movie theaters are now. You used to get off the monorail, go down, turn right at the bottom of the stairs, go left down the walkway and then it was there.

Anyone else remember?

Comment

Found a few pics on this site

Here is the interior
                      http://www.magicalhotel.com/images/f...orailcafe1.jpg
                      http://www.magicalhotel.com/images/f...orailcafe3.jpg
                      And the exterior
                      http://www.magicalhotel.com/images/f...orailcafe2.jpg
                      Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM. Reason: hotlinked images removed

Comment

Originally posted by brian9549 View Post
                        If I remember correctly the Monorail Cafe was about where the movie theaters are now. You used to get off the monorail, go down, turn right at the bottom of the stairs, go left down the walkway and then it was there.

Anyone else remember?
                        basically yes.. those stairs leading up to the monorail station are directly across from where the monorail cafe used to be. (but the old stairwell was further back and made a 90 degree turn so you had to then go along a sidewalk to walk to it). it, and the monorail station, were right up against the old small parking lot for the front of the hotel.

that last picture is from the parking lot entrance and is the side exits to the building..

http://www.magicalhotel.com/images/f...ravelport3.jpg
                        This picture would be if you had just walked out of the cafe and were looking at the monorail station.
                        Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: hotlinked image removed

Comment

Yah I remember. It was kind of a tradition for my grandfather and I that when we went to the park we would go over to the DLH, sit in the Monorail Cafe and have a milkshake while watching the Monorail. After that, we would take the monorail back into the park (we always waited for the blue monorail and we always sat up in the bubble with the monorail driver).

If you google Monorail Cafe Disneyland, there are a few websites which have pictures of the Cafe.
                          Growing older is manditory
                          Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Was the cafe there before the monorail and renamed and rethemed for it or did both open at same time or did cafe come after the momorail was up and running?
                            Somewhere in fontainbleau
                            Lies my secret garden

Comment

It was called 'The Coffee Shop' at first. It opened in the 50's. It became the Monorail Cafe in the 80's.
                              Growing older is manditory
                              Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Yes, we loved going there, we would take the Monorail from Tomorrowland to the Disneyland Hotel, get our hand stamped, eat lunch at the Monorail Cafe, then go back to the park via the Monorail. I remember being terrified the first time we did that, because we all washed our hands after eating, and I was certain that we had washed our hand stamps off and would not be let back into the park. But the very nice young lady at the Monorail station reassured me that the hand stamp ink was waterproof, and that we were all fine. She re-stamped my hand anyway as an extra little nicety. I still remember how courteous and friendly she was.
                                That Monorail Cafe wasn't there too many years was it?

Comment

Loved the Monorail Cafe - it was always fun to sit there and stare out the window at the monorail as it approached the station...and get more and more excited about what the day was to hold in Disneyland...

I can remember doing just that over breakfast - watching the Mark IIs come in - when it used to be the Coffee Shop and the area in the picture with the windows and awnings wasn't there - that extension was added. While it was the Coffee Shop, there was actually a Monorail Bar up at the top of the stairs by the station. When that was taken out, the Coffee Shop became the Monorail Cafe.

I think - Don Ballard has a book on the Disneyland Hotel and it's history - he'd know for sure...

Comment

We miss the Monorail Cafe!

Since we mostly stay on property, we would always enjoy a meal or two there plus even if we didn't eat there, we'd stop by and get an ice cream sundae or banana split to take up to the room with us.

During our final meal there, we knew that they were closing, so we asked if we could have the menus. They not only gave us our menus, but they came up with some other goodies for us to take home as momentos of the Cafe. Yep, we left them a nice tip that night...

The kids still use their Monorail Cafe cups every now and then too!

You can never be too old to be a Disney geek! :lol:

Comment

I remember eating there when we used to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. Sometimes we would take the Monorail to the park or other times we would wait for the tram to pick us up. I remember feeling so important because the Disneyland Hotel had its own tram to the park.

Comment

Yeah, I miss the Monorail Cafe, too! It had sort of 50's diner feel to it. I was hoping with what all of DTD that was being built, we would see a new home for this family friendly restaurant. Sadly, they didn't even try to open a new Monorail Cafe.

On the last day of my DL visits, I would have to stop at the stores at the DL Hotel, too! There was a sort of mini World of Disney Store, on the 1st floor, right by the monorail station. Closer to the hotel, there was a two level building with a variety of stores on both levels. And across the olympic size swimming pool, there were a few more stores. Downtown Disney was a nice addition ~ BUT it and the DL hotel really need restaurant like the Monorail Cafe.
                                        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X