Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have noticed the cats, the ducks, but what else?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] You have noticed the cats, the ducks, but what else?

Hey folks!

I thought this might be a good topic to start, I know we all know that there are cats roaming the Disneyland park, ducks and swans and geese galore, but what other wildlife have you noticed?

On my last trip in March 09 I noticed bright orange crawdad/crayfish type things in the random unused pond across from Big Thunder! If you stand and watch the edges of the pool you see them climbing up the sides and boy are there a lot of em!

Also, in 2007, at the old big thunder smoking area we saw tons of adorable baby mice running around in a desert planter! They were so incredibly tiny. Though considered a pest, I felt it a rather magical find.

DLR/DCA: x10: 2019,2015,2014,2007,2008,2009,2010,2012,2003,1999
    WDW: 1x 2009
    Tall Ship Sailor: ​Lady Washington 2011

Re: You have noticed the cats, the ducks, but what else?

I've seen big ol' rats over at Rancho Del Zocalo! The crawfish are fun to watch, too.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember swans being around the castle moat at some point.

Comment

The mouse (mice) in one area of the park is known by the name Seymour, 'cause if see one, you're bound to see more...
      First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
      First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
      BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

I saw a big ol' turtle in the fish pond once. I have pictures at home that I'll post later.

Comment

I've seen:

* crayfish in the pond across from Big Thunder, as well as red-eared turtles and big goldfish/koi
          * snowy egrets and a big black cormorant (or possibly a darter) along the Rivers of America
          * a kingfisher in the old Motorboat Lagoon
          * field mice on the lawn of the Haunted Mansion
          * blue-belly lizards in the queue planters of Big Thunder
          * mosquito fish in most of the unchlorinated waterways
          * bats all over the place at night
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post

Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember swans being around the castle moat at some point.

You're not crazy. I remember seeing them as a kid too.

Speaking of the kitties.. We were taking the tram back to the structure at the end of a long day and just before the section where the tram passes under West St and heads left into M&F, on a street-level concrete drain guard sat one of the many feline denizens of the DLR just casually watching observing us as we passed - obviously having lost fear of the big roaring trams. It was just amusing seeing this cat sitting there watching us roll by in kind of a "whassup?" kinda way.

And of course me and my GF's daughter had a blast feeding fries to the ducks from the second level of the Hungry Bear.

Pretty sure I saw a raccoon strolling thru the taxi-only lot at the DLH mian entrance one night, but it could also have been a possum. Was pretty dark.
            "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

I wound up accidentally scaring a CM by pionting out an ENORMOUS cockroach sitting on the wall near the Fantasyland bathrooms next to Alice in Wonderland.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                I wound up accidentally scaring a CM by pionting out an ENORMOUS cockroach sitting on the wall near the Fantasyland bathrooms next to Alice in Wonderland.

No worries. That was just Michael Eisner popping a surprise inspection.
                "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Those cockroaches seem to hang out a lot in Fantasyland. I've come accross more than a few there. xp

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

Comment

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                    No worries. That was just Michael Eisner popping a surprise inspection.
                    OHHHHHH snap!! hahahah!

Comment

In July '09 saw a mouse at the tomorrowland Train Depot. Looked for it again in Sept. '09 and sure enough he/she came running out. Tried to get a pic but he/she was very shy. All I got was a pic of the trash can.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                        Originally posted by littlecricket View Post
                        Those cockroaches seem to hang out a lot in Fantasyland. I've come accross more than a few there. xp
                        I actually saw some near the ROA while waiting for Fantasmic!

I seen a lot of bees and butterflies.

Comment

hahaha oh man, cockroaches?!! Eisner IS quite the cockroach. YUCK.

Tomorrowland mice too?! Excellent. My mom is convinced they are Mickey's followers.

Comment

I forgot to mention that this last year I spotted what was either an egret or in ibis, I can't really tell as well as a small family of Canadian geese.
                            About a year or so ago someone posted a pic of a raccoon in Frontierland, but we have those here in the heart of Los Angeles!
                            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Animals I have seen driving around Orange County -- egrets, raccoons, deer, coyotes, possums, skunks, turkey vultures, hawks, eagles. Mountain lions and bears are hear but I've never seen them in the wild. Any one of these animals or ones I haven't mentioned could be at Disneyland too. Yesterday there were lots of dragonflies flying around for some reason.

Comment

Let's see, Bats hang out in the Rivers of America area, usually only visable at dusk.

A couple of Turtles have been hanging out at the pond across the way from BTMRR. (I have been getting pictures of them regular lately).

Have seen mice in awhile, but usually noticable in Springtime.

Canada Geese stopped by this last late Winter/Spring and raised a couple of goslings in the ROA area. (Got plenty of photos of them).

The Swans used to be in the moat. They came from a farm and were rented and placed in the moat most of the year (a pair). Alas, a racoon decided he was hungry one night, and Disney had to pay for a Swan... Since then, Disney has decided to no longer rent Swans for the moat....

I have a set of Animal photos at the end of my Friday "In the Parks" every week, you can go back into the archives here at MiceChat to check them out..... (Link below)
                                Last edited by Darkbeer; 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM.
                                Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Darkbeer, I love your weekly postings, I read em! It's great to get to "visit" the park when I'm missing it.

Comment

I go to the park every week and I've noticed around 6 when the sun starts to head down there are always a bunch of crows flying from Haunted Mansion, I know this isn't an incredible animal sighting at Disneyland but it really adds to the Haunted Mansion
                                    My Youtube with weekly Disneyland videos!
                                    http://www.youtube.com/user/SparkyNads

Comment

Crows. Lots of crows.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8K8 View Post
                                        Also, in 2007, at the old big thunder smoking area we saw tons of adorable baby mice running around in a desert planter! They were so incredibly tiny. Though considered a pest [...]
                                        haha i found this to be ironic conisering the "main guy" at Disneyland
                                        -plagued

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X