Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have noticed the cats, the ducks, but what else?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krillinish
    replied
    Re: You have noticed the cats, the ducks, but what else?

I had my own possum sighting working a special event after-hours at DCA. The possum walked from the Grizzly area into the bushes near the old San Francisco bathrooms. I was alone at the time and it freaked me out.

Leave a comment:

• kburford
    replied

just got home from the parks. at around 8 pm i saw a huge cockroach in the pixie hollow area....very gross but it made me think of this thread so i had to put it up hahah

Leave a comment:

• QuestionableKri
    replied

I love the swans in the moat, but it's been a long time since I last saw them.
    Seen the kitties too.
    but that's really about it. I'd love to see the bats though, that's pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• ChessurInWonderland
    replied

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Let's see, Bats hang out in the Rivers of America area, usually only visable at dusk.

A couple of Turtles have been hanging out at the pond across the way from BTMRR. (I have been getting pictures of them regular lately).

Have seen mice in awhile, but usually noticable in Springtime.

Canada Geese stopped by this last late Winter/Spring and raised a couple of goslings in the ROA area. (Got plenty of photos of them).

The Swans used to be in the moat. They came from a farm and were rented and placed in the moat most of the year (a pair). Alas, a racoon decided he was hungry one night, and Disney had to pay for a Swan... Since then, Disney has decided to no longer rent Swans for the moat....

I have a set of Animal photos at the end of my Friday "In the Parks" every week, you can go back into the archives here at MiceChat to check them out..... (Link below)
    Do you have pics of the bats? I looked through some of the old articles, but I didnt see any

Leave a comment:

• ChessurInWonderland
    replied

Ducks!

In all seriousness, every little while, there's Swans near the castle. I don't know if they live at Disneyland, or they just fly over, but it's really cool seeing them.

I've seen mice here and there. I know they originally brought in cats to kill them, but they didn't spay or neuter them so they all bred, and they just left them in the park. Does anyone know if the cats now are declawed, though? One time I saw a cat in Frontierland and went up to it and pet it and it just stayed there. It saw my cell phone charm coming from my pocket and batted at it, and hit my hand, too, and I realized it didn't have claws. I've had cats all my life, and I know some cats, when they're just playing with each other or a toy or string, they sometimes keep their claws in, but I didn't see claws on the cat's paw, either. Do you think they could be declawed to prevent people getting scratched? I know that would be silly because then they couldn't kill the mice, and they'd still be able to bite, but I just figured they declawed them so if they killed the mice, they'd have to hold them down without claws and rely on teeth, or they're mostly just there for atmosphere now, to see them walking around, etc.

Leave a comment:

• TheGr8K8
    replied

awww it's gorgeous! I will keep an eye out next time I'm there.

Leave a comment:

• Karalora
    replied

Ah, yes, the wood duck! I forgot about him! For those who may not know, this is what he looks like. I see him and his mate most often on the ponds outside Adventureland and Frontierland, and occasionally near the First Aid Station. Such a lovely bird.

I keep waiting to see a peacock at Disneyland. I know they occasionally go wild from the L.A. Zoo and people's backyards, so it's a possibility. How would you like to have one of them in the Jungle, techskip?

Leave a comment:

• FI183
    replied

I love watching the coy fish in the castle moat! although it's really rare to find them I always see the kitties running around when the parks cleared and I'm walking out of DCA. oh and the crawfish in the motorboat area! There's a really BIG one in there gave me the goose bumps!

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

I've seen a wood duck on Jungle a few times (as in the beautifully colored ducks, not mallards and not decoy wooden ducks). I also remember a hawk on Thunder who loved to pick of sparrows... brave red-tail that would rest on the branch above the storage line near Rancho and let you walk right under him... watched him snatch a sparrow out of midair a couple times.

Leave a comment:

• TheGr8K8
    replied

Awesome pictures!

In reply to the poster who mentioned the ironic-ness of the mice being a pest, that's exactly what my mom and I were chatting about when we saw them. They just had to be little Mickey friends who were put there to say Hello Folks! It's all part of the magic

The possum pictures are sooo cute, I know they are gross but they can be SO CUTE!

Pretty bird, I've never seen one of those.

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied

I've seen opossums around the disneyland hotel.

I love this guy:

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied

Wow, that's a pretty cute 'possum!

The crayfish are really fun to watch over by Big Thunder. Little kids were fascinated by them.

By the way, I heard that crayfish down south are called "mudbugs"

Anybody mention frogs?

Leave a comment:

• orbitalpunk
    replied

Saw this guy in 2006.

Thats the wall to the right just before you enter the Mens New Orleans Square Bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• MonstersGoBoo!
    replied

Sosai X - !!!!

I've seen mice, turtles!!!, and lizards mainly (aside from the ducks and cats of course).

My friend who works Fantasyland showed me a picture of a mutuated goldfish that was found in the waters of Storybook. It was gross.

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by TheGr8K8 View Post
    Hey folks!

I thought this might be a good topic to start, I know we all know that there are cats roaming the Disneyland park, ducks and swans and geese galore, but what other wildlife have you noticed?

On my last trip in March 09 I noticed bright orange crawdad/crayfish type things in the random unused pond across from Big Thunder! If you stand and watch the edges of the pool you see them climbing up the sides and boy are there a lot of em!

Yes, noticed this three weeks ago.
    Tons of crawdad's in the pond across from BTMRR.
    I counted in one little area about 9 of them.
    Noticed them while waiting for a friend to finish smoking (am I amazed on how much smokers complain that there are only 3 smoking areas -- is that not enough?).

Leave a comment:

• Sosai X
    replied

Dead opossum in the Fantasy Waters pool near the Disneyland Hotel. Perhaps this dear creature was a victim of murder, or just had enough and commited suicide? The world may never know.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

So there are no swans at any time any more? There goes another of my best childhood memories. We always took pictures of each of us with the swans in the background. They were very much part of the show, at least for our family.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfanaddict
    replied

I too have seen the crayfish and mice as well. One evening while exiting the tram to the M&F parking, there were screams coming from a few rows down. Of course, being the nosy person, we went over to look and there was a huge rat that was running around. I think he was terrified by the screaming. It was quite funny!! I think the big cheese gave him the boot. He looked like he got off at the wrong parking area!!

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied

How about the fishes in the pond by the drawbridge? We always stop to see them.

I've seen cats around too. They sort of keep their distance, but they've obviously gotten used to all the people everywhere.

It's always good to see live animals around, even if they're domestic ones. It sort of gives a 'down home' feeling.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied

Originally posted by Ron W View Post

Yo, human dudes!!!!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X