This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Writing a speech

I have to write a speech for Academic Decathalon. It should be interesting and about 7 minutes. I want to write something about DL, but I'm not exactly sure what to write about in particular. Any ideas?

Re: Writing a speech

Just writing about the creation of the place and the hurdles Walt had to overcome should be enough material right there. Opening day was a nightmare.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

The mere fact you want to write about the subject of DL means you need to tap into the "why." Find the source of your motivation and the paper will write itself.

What makes it interesting to you will make it interesting to other people. I detested my time living in Minneasota, the cold was killing me--but I still listen to Garson Keillor's radio show, because he loves the state so much, you can't help but listen to what he has to say.

Think of it that way.

Make us like it as much as you do.

Peace,
      Roo
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Thats the problem. I don't think I could find anything I don't like or find interesting about Disneyland. But I can't figure out people who aren't as Disney-crazy as I am. Therefore, I'm afraid my speech won't be as interesting to the judges as it is to me.

Comment

A good point. I'm of the philosphy that just write everything you know or feel you should mention. Forget time. Get it out. Then after a brainstorming session, go back and start to cut back. Talk to people. Try it out.

Yes, it might start at 45 days of presentations. However, do what you can.

Peace,
          Roo
          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

The Third Key: Disneyland's Emphasis on Show Revolutionizes the Theme Park. The title refers to the four keys of Disneyland's philosophy: safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency. You could write about how making show and theme as important as the physical experience of shows and attractions made Disneyland radically different and far superior to the traditional theme parks that preceded it. How did Disney's background as a filmmaker influence this? What lengths did Walt and his crew go to to emphasize story and theme? Are story and theme still guiding principals to the Imagineers of today? Have there been times when Disney has placed less of an emphasis on theme, and what have been the results of those instances?

Comment

I'd do it on a disney theme that very few people talk about, like Walt's involvement in the war time efforts. But if you are going to do it on Disneyland, remember that millions have already done reports on it. So try and make your report more than the generic disneyland report. Report on apects of it that most people tend to overlook. Make yours different.

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
                The Third Key: Disneyland's Emphasis on Show Revolutionizes the Theme Park. The title refers to the four keys of Disneyland's philosophy: safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency. You could write about how making show and theme as important as the physical experience of shows and attractions made Disneyland radically different and far superior to the traditional theme parks that preceded it. How did Disney's background as a filmmaker influence this? What lengths did Walt and his crew go to to emphasize story and theme? Are story and theme still guiding principals to the Imagineers of today? Have there been times when Disney has placed less of an emphasis on theme, and what have been the results of those instances?
                That is awesome. I originally started with "How has changing society changed Disneyland?", but I thought that was rather cynical and not very exciting. But I'm really feeling this idea, because not many people pay any attention to the work that goes into keeping the show up while they're at dl. It has the potential to be really interesting, thanks!

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                I'd do it on a disney theme that very few people talk about, like Walt's involvement in the war time efforts. But if you are going to do it on Disneyland, remember that millions have already done reports on it. So try and make your report more than the generic disneyland report. Report on apects of it that most people tend to overlook. Make yours different.
                My Acadeca coach said the same thing, and at first he didn't want me to do it on dl at all, but I think with clockworkmonkey's idea, I can make a speech that will impress the judges, even if every other speech they hear that day is about dl.

Thanks!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X