Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency at DCA?? or just a big drill??

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Emergency at DCA?? or just a big drill??

During random OC Fire Scanner listening, I ran across alot of traffic regarding some sort of accident or incident at DCA tonight at around 7pm. The radio traffic had been going for some time, and there was much talk about Triage locations, Medics locations, Command post info, ect.

The basic info I could understand was that something had happened in DCA's Hollywood Backlot area. They had setup a triage area next to the Hyperion, and they were bringing in medics through Harbor Point. I also heard about possibly 60+ people injured, and 11 dead. They were speaking with the local hospitals for transport of victims, and the hospitals were saying how full or available they are. There was also a 'Female with a GSW to the Face'...?? Possible Gun Shot Wound??

Once I realized they were speaking about DCA, I jumped into my car and drove to the parks. Once onsite, around 8:30pm, I could see many Ambulances and Fire Engines behind the Hyperion. They were exiting through Harbor Point and were from AFD, Fullerton FD, and Santa Ana FD.

I spoke with people exiting the parks, and there was no sense of an emergency or problem. No one at the Cast Member Pickup for KCML had heard anything.

I'm wondering if there is anyone who could confirm a possible Drill or Exercise involving all the local FDs at DCA?? Or, was there an actual accident that no one else has heard about??

Thanks,

David.

Re: Emergency at DCA?? or just a big drill??

Big cast member drill.

Nothing to worry about. They happen frequently.

Comment

They've done big practice drills like this in the past, they aren't new. The OC Register usually does a story on it the next day, if there isn't already one up on the Register website.

Comment

It's a drill, and quite amusing to witness backstage. People were getting painted up with fake blood and wounds to simulate the experience. I believe it was an earthquake drill. Maybe more.

Oddly enough I think I DID see someone with a fake gunshot wound. XD

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

Comment

...I jumped into my car and drove to the parks.
          That part kinda annoyed me to read... Not the best idea to drive into an emergency area when others might be trying to evacuate, or emergency officials going into the location.

Yes, I know this was just a drill but still, I'd hate if it was real and people like you clogging up the roadways along with news vans trying to see what's going on. Glad they run drills like this, and I'm glad it wasn't real. You should be to even though you were hopefully trying to see some action by going there, ugh.
          -Wes

Comment

I am sure you meant no harm but "jumping in the car" and rushing to a scene is a Huge no no for scanner enthusiasts. Listen and watch from a distance is the proper way to play. Clogging up roads or a scene of a incident with bystanders can cause blocks and delays for emergency personel and vehicles. Even for those of us who are trained and are part of reponse teams we are never to "self dispatch" ourselves to a incident unless pre determined.

Anyways unless we want all radio traffic to become encrypted (as it is already happening especially in OCpd) we need to follow proper procedures.

Comment

I am surprised you did not start a small panic by asking guests in the parks if they had heard anything about a major disaster.

Anaheim police and resort periodically do drills as part of their training. They even sometimes do similar drills at schools.

It was also not a smart idea to drive to a location that could have had an emergency as you described. Doing that could have only created bigger issues. As a suggestion i recommend next time you hear something like that while scanning emergency frequencies that you just stay home and wait to see if their is something on the news about it.
              Something as bad as you described would have interrupted broadcasting as a "Special News Report"

Comment

Cry all you want to about 'Driving to the Scene'

We all know to keep out of any actual situation, thats why we are responsible adults. If there was an emergency happening, we would have known immediately upon approaching the Anaheim Resort District.

There was no 'Asking Guests about an Emergency', just simply walking around and listening to conversations, saying 'Hi' and asking if they had a good day at the park. Nothing amazing from any guests.

Living only minutes from the park, I felt there was no harm in driving down the street.

Comment

Glad to hear that this was just a drill. But on the other hand not so glad to hear that people with scanners are deciding to go out to the park and investigate. Lets just leave that to the news crews next time...

Comment

Holy poo, this thread scared me for a bit......11 dead? A gunshot wound to the face? Glad to see it was all for the benefit of those involved. And yes, you don't go investigating dangerous incidents........didn't anyone learn anything from The Incredibles??? )

Comment

I never knew something like this happened. I understand the need for it in case of emergencies. Of all the three years of my Disney life, I have never experienced anything like that.

Comment

I don't think anyone is crying on this thread, we just don't see the logic of driving to a location that could be having an emergency situation and then trying to scope out the guests and others on the net to see if a major disaster had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by djmcdpk View Post
                          Cry all you want to about 'Driving to the Scene'

We all know to keep out of any actual situation, thats why we are responsible adults. If there was an emergency happening, we would have known immediately upon approaching the Anaheim Resort District.

There was no 'Asking Guests about an Emergency', just simply walking around and listening to conversations, saying 'Hi' and asking if they had a good day at the park. Nothing amazing from any guests.

Living only minutes from the park, I felt there was no harm in driving down the street.
                          I had to listen to radios for a class in school...(ok maybe didn't HAVE to, but it was for a spot new assignment! :P) It's pretty exciting and almost a thrill when you head to the scene, so I understand why it could be a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                            I never knew something like this happened. I understand the need for it in case of emergencies. Of all the three years of my Disney life, I have never experienced anything like that.
                            Me either, almost 9 years.
                            I want my cake back!
                            sigpic

Comment

It's kind of an understood rule for scanner enthusiasts though to NOT go to the scene of something you hear over the scanner. Being one myself, I hear lots of fire, ambulance, police, etc calls all the time and I could go and investigate, but you just don't do that. You're one more person/vehicle in the way of the authorities. And if it is a really serious situation, you end up possibly putting yourself in harm's way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley815 View Post
                                That part kinda annoyed me to read... Not the best idea to drive into an emergency area when others might be trying to evacuate, or emergency officials going into the location.

Yes, I know this was just a drill but still, I'd hate if it was real and people like you clogging up the roadways along with news vans trying to see what's going on. Glad they run drills like this, and I'm glad it wasn't real. You should be to even though you were hopefully trying to see some action by going there, ugh.
                                I agree, that is not the smartest thing to do. You don't drive into the disaster, you usually flee from it. I could understand if you were going to help but it sounds as if you were going to gawk and get in the way of aid if it had been a real emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
                                  Something as bad as you described would have interrupted broadcasting as a "Special News Report"
                                  This is so true. If this were really happening it would definitely be on the news. Something of this caliber is a MAJOR news story and you would definitely be hearing about it in the news.

Drills like this happen all the time. I know when I was working at Mission Hospital they had a similar drill. The scenario was that the San Onofre nuclear power plant had a meltdown and emergency cases were being sent to the hospital. This was an important test to help identify deficiencies in the hospital's triage procedures during these types of emergencies.

So while this was a dramatic test of Anaheim's emergency response systems, it would have garnered major media attention if it were true.

Comment

Hey, I just heard a report on the scanner that a UFO landed on the roof of South Coast Plaza!

(sshhh, let's see who goes running down there in panic)

Comment

I agree, if something big were to happen at DCA I'm sure that ABC would have been the first to break the news and downplay the incident.

There are often drills at the parks however since the new terror alerts for largely populated venues were announced I'm sure that the scope of the drills around this time will be alot more intensive in their scenarios.

Comment

It was kind of earie listening to Anaheim SWAT clearing the animation building and bringing victims out. The actual call that was broadcasted was "explosion and shots fired". As someone that works in emergency services it was interesting to listen to the calls. Over all everyone did a great job with only some minor mistakes being made, but that's what training is for.
                                        If I can't be a good roll model at least let me be a bad example.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X