This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Goodbye? Magical

So I am kinda suprised that I have seen no threads about this. It is possible I missed it, but I did a search for magical and didnt find any, although an insane amount of hits pop up....
    Anyway, on Sunday September 20, 2009, Magical: Disney's New Nighttime Fireworks Spectacular concluded its run. It is being replaced with Haloween Screams scheduled to premiere Friday September 25. Rumors at the resort say that following Screams will be a three day engagement of Remember, then believe will return.
    Whether or not Magical will return following the end of believe remains unclear, so now may be the end of the show, and it seems like a great time to pass judgement.
    This show had a lackluster beggining with effects not working, and the fireworks themselves existing as little more than what can be bought at the local fireworks store, in places they sell fireworks. But the music was enough to hold interest. Soon the kinks were worked out and impressive lighting illuminated the night sky. Dumbo became the sleeper hit of Summer Nighttastic and the show moved up from a CD to a decent placeholder until something better came back. As summer progressed I would check out the fireworks every so often, it took a while but I realized something towards the end of August, they were adding more fireworks to the show every week or two, and it was greating a phenomenal show.
    By the final showing Magical had grown into a fitting replacement for Remember. Sure it wasnt as grand as remember, but not every show can be a 50 year celebration. But it had everything I expect from a Disneyland fireworks show, and leaves me more than excited to see what the incredible minds behind these shows have in store for Screams, especially now that I know not to make any decisions to soon...
    "Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was in vain; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act upon their dreams with eyes wide open, and make it a reality"

"Keep Moving Forward"

"If you think you can't you won't, If you think you can no one can stop you"

Re: Goodbye? Magical

it was a beautiful.. and dare I say... Magical show

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Comment

You know I love firework shows and Disney has the best.

But... Magical was far from, I think the music is the most important aspect of a firework show after the shells and I found the shows basic theme music, you know "MAGICAL!" to be pretty annoying and I really didn't care for the rock block of Mary Poppins either, the show just seemed forced to me.

For the record, I have seen the show several times because A. Dumbo is very cool and B. I love firework shows.

So anyway, I'm not sad to see it leave, but I am concerned in which direction DL's future shows will go from here on.

I'm really looking forward to the Halloween version, I just hope it's headed in the right direction.

Comment

I wasn't crazy about the show at first, but my first experience was the preview/t.v. taping. I don't know anybody who liked that night. And I'm somebody who loves Remember.
        It was never Remember, but Magical did hold it's own. If you were a guest who had never seen Remember, I think you would consider Magical to be the best you've ever seen.
        Working on Main St., it was always nice to hear the reaction from the crowds. They loved it. Their reactions always made me smile. And no matter how often I heard the music, I never got tired of it. Mostly for Eden Espinosa and the exit song, "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes." Off topic: I'm wondering why there isn't a soundtrack.
        So now I'm praying that something crazy doesn't happen and Remember does come back after Believe. I really like the idea of having four seasonal shows. Believe, Remember, Magical, and Screams. But who knows? That might make too much sense.)
        I am looking forward to Screams. The music sounds cool (I've heard bits and pieces) and I've always loved the idea of a Disney Villain pyro show during Halloween time. One of my favorite parts of Remember was the villain/haunted section. (the green castle, fire shooting out :bow I can't wait! The show should be awesome.
        Ok, I'm done now. Have a nice day.
        sigpic

Comment

It'll be back next year. I do love Magical for the little show that it is. Its scale is perfect for being a "cheaper" show, and it was executed very nicely.

Comment

the show will be back next year. apparently it was confirmed to be the official summer fireworks show, confirmed at the D23 expo.

I really enjoyed the show and i'm glad it will return next year
            - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Peace_N_Love View Post
              I really like the idea of having four seasonal shows. Believe, Remember, Magical, and Screams. But who knows? That might make too much sense.)
              It's actually nice to have more than two firework shows a year. The fireworks show patterns in the past have been laughably obvious LOL. Good thing Disney is taking a big step with this.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
              The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
              Indy Ride Count: 2211
              World of Color Count: 74

Comment

No more confetti!
                Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I really liked Magical, I'll be glad to see it return next year.

Comment

So, can anyone confirm yet that Remember is a show of the past?

Comment

Magical was neither a bad nor a great show. One thing it lacked was the cohesive theme that we're used to seeing in recent fireworks shows. Magical was basically just a bunch of movie quotes with no real tie-in.

To me, it seemed like a lower budget rushed job that needed to get out in time for Summer Nightastic.

Comment

Magical was anything but magical. It was as if they had to repeat the title ad nauseum to get it through everyone's heads because the show lacked magic. The theme was forced, the transitions were incohesive, the spotlights were cheesy, the pyro was fair, and the cover versions of great Disney tunes by Espinosa lacked range and were almost unrecognizable.
                        I'd be very disappointed to see Magical come back, and hope Remember or something on its scale is in place for next summer. If they must bring back Magical then make it for the Spring only and give the non-local summer guests a great show like Remember. It would be ridiculous to only run Remember during the spring when guests are at a low ebb.

Comment

Too bad guest reaction during the summer for Magical was rather good.... :P

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                          ~

Comment

It was so Magical!

Comment

Originally posted by startours1 View Post
                              So, can anyone confirm yet that Remember is a show of the past?
                              Remember will return in the spring, I'm hearing around President's Day, but maybe earlier because of the RoA draining.

And good riddance to Magical, a pathetic excuse for a Disneyland fireworks show. It belongs at Six Flags.

Comment

I seem to be the one in a million that really disliked the show. The music was not that great and I really didn't feel the same emotions like I did for Remember. But at least Disney knows most of their fans loved it.
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I'm split 50/50 on Magical because when you compare it to any past fireworks show except Remember it is a nice show that is typical of the common Disneyland standard that they put on their shows. I have learned to accept Remember as a phenomenon, when Disney decided to splurge on the fireworks budget to create a very memorable show for the 50th as opposed to this year where they tried to market 3 shows into one Nightastic event. Magical came up way short compared to Remember, however it is a positive improvement over everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MAH4546 View Post
                                    And good riddance to Magical, a pathetic excuse for a Disneyland fireworks show. It belongs at Six Flags.
                                    Uh, dude haven't you been listening? They're experimenting on having 4 different fireworks shows each year.

Magical is for the summer, RDCT is for the spring and so forth.

And calling magical a pathetic exuse for a fireworks show is an insult to Steve Davison who does all the fireworks shows. And he does an execellent job on showing what the shows are about and does a good job on new firework shows. So I think you should show a modem of respect here.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
                                    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                                    Indy Ride Count: 2211
                                    World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
                                      Uh, dude haven't you been listening? They're experimenting on having 4 different fireworks shows each year.
                                      Yes, I realize that. And thank god that Magical isn't year-round.

And calling magical a pathetic exuse for a fireworks show is an insult to Steve Davison who does all the fireworks shows. And he does an execellent job on showing what the shows are about and does a good job on new firework shows. So I think you should show a modem of respect here.
                                      Are you kidding me? So are we not allowed to critique good directors when they make a bad film?

Steve Davison did a horrendous job. That is not disrespecting him as an individual. Not everybody hits the mark on every project. And maybe its hot his fault. Clearly, Disney gave him a Six Flags-like budget, and it showed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post

Magical is for the summer, RDCT is for the spring and so forth.

And calling magical a pathetic excuse for a fireworks show is an insult to Steve Davison who does all the fireworks shows. And he does an execellent job on showing what the shows are about and does a good job on new firework shows. So I think you should show a modem of respect here.
                                        I have heard otherwise. Disneyland is going to be 55 next year. So Remember Might return in the Summer instead of Spring. Spring will bring Magical and Remember will help celebrate Disneyland's 55 anniversary.
                                        As in Magical I thought of It as a Cute show with many ties to Disney Magical Movies. I really enjoyed it.
                                        Follow me on Twitter @hurricanefreak

"hope for the best plan for the worst"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X