Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

    D23 | The Official Community for Disney Fans


    09.24.09 - While happy haunts have long greeted guests at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, some new scary spooks are taking up temporary residence this Halloween season in Tomorrowland at one of the park's signature attractions. Starting Friday, September 25, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy will add a spine-tingling new layer to the already-thrilling ride.



    The chilling seasonal event has been happening in Hong Kong Disneyland since 2007, when, show producer Steve Roach explains, "they had the idea that there's a new life form that's been discovered in space, and we want to recruit the guests to explore this new life force. Upon going into Space Mountain guests discover the 'life forces' are a little more than we thought." Steve says the ride begins like your typical Space Mountain voyage, but — as these things do — something goes awry. "It's a galaxy where haunted star clusters and supernovas threaten you at every turn. It's one close call after another until you finally reach the end of your space flight — and we hope you make it home safely!" jokes Steve, who's worked on numerous park projects including the Disneyland Dream Suite and the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough.

    During the evening, park-goers strolling through Tomorrowland will instantly notice a change in the attraction when every 6–8 minutes a ghostly new effect will take place. "While you are in the concourse queue outside, we are going to have events on the exterior of Space Mountain," Steve reveals. "Some of these unknown life forces might be trying to escape the mountain."
    Read the full story here: http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/09...yMountain.html
    By D23's Jeffrey Epstein.


    With all that back info, here's a thread to talk about your experiences with it, your thoughts, your photos on Disneyland's latest holiday layover. I'll post my thoughts late friday or saturday.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  • #2
    Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

    I've heard from an inside source that the ride operators for Space Mountain were all taken to an Imagineering trailer on site and were shown a computer generated preview of the experience with an Imagineer's perspective.

    *Spoilers ahead, highlight to read.*

    Spoiler

    He/She went on to say that they (being the WDI) want to try and re create the effect of a shaking track similar to Expedition Everest (like a haunt of some kind grabbing on to the track and shaking it) and have haunts not only popping out and scarring you but also chasing you as well if they had sufficient time to implement all the effects they want to.

    He/She went on to say that for all that they want to do with the attraction, it would make the Hong Kong version of the experience a joke.


    I really have no way of verifying this information until tomorrow so I'm kind of skeptical myself but if what he/she says is true (which as a source, is extremely reliable and concrete) it should make for a very entertaining experience. ^_^
    Oh what the future will hold...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

      It's hard to be scared of a projection popping up at you...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

        I can't wait! Really looking forward to Ghost Galaxy.
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

        Find us on Facebook: .

        How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
        Save

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

          I really liked it, hopfully they keep building on it year to year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

            I can't wait to see pictures tomorrow! This year, HalloweenTime seems really exciting! I hope to see lots of pictures and video of Ghost Galaxy, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Halloween Wishes and the park in general!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

              I am super excited. I just hope my son isn't sacred this will be his first time on the 40" rides. Whoo Hooo.
              --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                It's VERY scary. It's definitely going to be a hit. I was extremely skeptical, but came off the ride quite shaken and excited. It's really fantastic.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                  Sounds pretty cool to me. I can't wait!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                    Originally posted by KevRus View Post
                    It's VERY scary. It's definitely going to be a hit. I was extremely skeptical, but came off the ride quite shaken and excited. It's really fantastic.
                    Ok, how scary is VERY scary? While I do paranormal investigations with no problem, I don't do haunted houses (meaning the typical Knott's Scary Farm type of stuff). In fact I cold-cocked one of the knights in the Haunted Mansion when he jumped out and grabbed my shoulder years ago. (Things jumping out at me scare the crap outta me and I accidently laid him out cold..opps). So should I be concerned?

                    Edit: I have no problem with Indy, ToT, or even the Haunted Mansion (as long as they don't have the knights back in it. LOL)
                    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM.
                    Originally posted by migo
                    I poop with joy!
                    Best Quote...EVER!!!


                    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                      Any actual changes in the queue?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                        I was very disappointed with the lack of theming outside for Rockin' Space Mountain. I'm very happy to hear that they have made the effort to also theme the outside, and hopefully the indoor queue as well. This is going to be good! APers, I'm counting on you to enjoy it for me!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                          I cant wait to ride tomorrow morning

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                            My sister was able to ride it today. She went on it twice and she was extremely frightened. Nearly broke her boyfriends hand while holding on to him LOL. My sister works at DCA so she attended the cast previews today.

                            From her reaction, it looks like the kids are going to be really scared of this layover.


                            The world is a treasure trove of places.
                            The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                            Indy Ride Count: 2211
                            World of Color Count: 74

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                              New signage on the passage to the Space Mountain queue.



                              Photo courtesy of MintCrocodile.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                                OK I just got off the ride... (cast member preview) It is VERY WELL done given that it is just an overlay for Halloween...

                                I don't know if the queue changed any except for the addition of the signs warning that this is not the "old space mountain" The station's lighting looked the same to me. But the ride is way darker (read the stars are much dimmer) and certain portions are in the pitch dark.

                                Lift 1: New lighting colors and a few effects

                                Tunnel between lift 1 and 2: Pitch Dark

                                Lift 2: New Video sequence that is somewhat scary with the Ghost appearing at the top of the lift and shooting sparks down the lift tunnel

                                Lift 3: New Projection of Ghost

                                Course: Several effect that include chasing projections that match the rockets speed, projections of ghost's claws that reach for rocket on several occasions random eyeballs and a very cool ending effect that I am not going to spoil.

                                Sound effects of the ghost growl really push the rocket's sound system to the max (lots of base) causing the feeling that the ghost is shaking the sled during the third lift hill.

                                This is a MUST ride addition to the Holiday lineup.... Well worth any wait.

                                VERY GOOD RIDE!!! all of us were cheering when the rockets returned to the station.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                                  Expect this overlay to be a big hit. It's very well done even if it was rushed a little. No queue changes from reports I have been hearing. I would also rate the fright level at just above indy and a little below Alien Encounter.
                                  Please pardon our dust as we gear up for an all new signature!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                                    Originally posted by cyberimage321 View Post
                                    OK I just got off the ride... (cast member preview) It is VERY WELL done given that it is just an overlay for Halloween...

                                    I don't know if the queue changed any except for the addition of the signs warning that this is not the "old space mountain" The station's lighting looked the same to me. But the ride is way darker (read the stars are much dimmer) and certain portions are in the pitch dark.

                                    Lift 1: New lighting colors and a few effects

                                    Tunnel between lift 1 and 2: Pitch Dark

                                    Lift 2: New Video sequence that is somewhat scary with the Ghost appearing at the top of the lift and shooting sparks down the lift tunnel

                                    Lift 3: New Projection of Ghost

                                    Course: Several effect that include chasing projections that match the rockets speed, projections of ghost's claws that reach for rocket on several occasions random eyeballs and a very cool ending effect that I am not going to spoil.

                                    Sound effects of the ghost growl really push the rocket's sound system to the max (lots of base) causing the feeling that the ghost is shaking the sled during the third lift hill.

                                    This is a MUST ride addition to the Holiday lineup.... Well worth any wait.

                                    VERY GOOD RIDE!!! all of us were cheering when the rockets returned to the station.
                                    THANK YOU! Wow, this sounds amazing! I can't wait to see pictures and videos tomorrow! I don't usually get a chance to go on bigger rides, especially when this one will be long, so I hope I can go on at least, like, 5 times before HalloweenTime ends! I think I may even prefer this to the normal space mountain, because the effects sound very interesting and exciting!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                                      Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
                                      Ok, how scary is VERY scary? While I do paranormal investigations with no problem, I don't do haunted houses (meaning the typical Knott's Scary Farm type of stuff). In fact I cold-cocked one of the knights in the Haunted Mansion when he jumped out and grabbed my shoulder years ago. (Things jumping out at me scare the crap outta me and I accidently laid him out cold..opps). So should I be concerned?

                                      Edit: I have no problem with Indy, ToT, or even the Haunted Mansion (as long as they don't have the knights back in it. LOL)
                                      The overlay uses a lot of surprising "jump out of your seat" scare tactics. So it is more along the lines of Knott's Scary Farm stuff. But it's really fun so don't let that talk you out of riding it. And, to be quite honest, I'm probably exaggerating a little bit. But it did scare me my first time through.

                                      The ride uses the dark very effectively as a scare tactic.

                                      Also, sit in the front for the best experience.

                                      Not sure if the queue is any different, but I don't think it is.

                                      The effects aren't technologically amazing or anything, so don't expect to be blown away in that sense. The effects are very subtle but very effective. The soundtrack really adds to the experience as well.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

                                        I can't believe I won't be able to see it this year. Please, please bring it back next year, Disney! It's been a success at HKDL, now be faithful with it here!
                                        Last edited by WDITrent; 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X