• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlohaStitch
    "Always On The Move..."
    • Jun 2005

Re: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Thread

Originally posted by KevRus View Post
    The overlay uses a lot of surprising "jump out of your seat" scare tactics. So it is more along the lines of Knott's Scary Farm stuff. But it's really fun so don't let that talk you out of riding it. And, to be quite honest, I'm probably exaggerating a little bit. But it did scare me my first time through.

The ride uses the dark very effectively as a scare tactic.

Also, sit in the front for the best experience.

Not sure if the queue is any different, but I don't think it is.

The effects aren't technologically amazing or anything, so don't expect to be blown away in that sense. The effects are very subtle but very effective. The soundtrack really adds to the experience as well.
    Thanks much! I'm going to grab a friend and grit my teeth and go on it now!
    Originally posted by migo
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• ryanvalle
      Not a Minion
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
      I am so very very very disappointed I won't be able to see it this year. Please, please bring it back next year, Disney! It's been a success at HKDL, now be faithful with it here!
      After reading the first sentence, i thought you were referring to the ride experience. glad that i read on.

Comment

• WDITrent
        We Go On.
        • Jun 2008

^Good point. Maybe I should edit my post.

EDIT: Done.

Comment

• ChessurInWonderland
          Future Cast Member
          • Jul 2009

The front? =o Interesting, I always ask for the back, since its fastest, but I'll try the front for Ghost Galaxy, thanks for the tip! Is this to just get added effects, see better, etc. or is it for slower speed to see everything better?

Comment

• Disnyfan89
            MiceChatter
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by KevRus View Post
            The overlay uses a lot of surprising "jump out of your seat" scare tactics. So it is more along the lines of Knott's Scary Farm stuff. But it's really fun so don't let that talk you out of riding it. And, to be quite honest, I'm probably exaggerating a little bit. But it did scare me my first time through.

The ride uses the dark very effectively as a scare tactic.

Also, sit in the front for the best experience.

Not sure if the queue is any different, but I don't think it is.

The effects aren't technologically amazing or anything, so don't expect to be blown away in that sense. The effects are very subtle but very effective. The soundtrack really adds to the experience as well.
            I disagree. I was able to experience it ten times today and I feel the best place to sit is the 4th row. All the effects seemed to be timed to that spot in the train. Granted, the lift hill effect is AMAZING in the front row but I feel the best experience was in the middle. In the front you kinda have to look a little behind to see the effects fully and in the last row it feels like they're just a little to ahead.
            Please pardon our dust as we gear up for an all new signature!

Comment

• Gandalf75
              Wishing upon a star....
              • Mar 2009

It sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

The only thing I worry about is my friend Aimee. Space Mountain is one of her favorite rides but Tower of Terror is too scary for her.

I hope this is not too scary for her on our upcoming trip.

I know it will be great for me though

Comment

• KevRus
                Kungaloosh!
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Disnyfan89 View Post
                Granted, the lift hill effect is AMAZING in the front row
                Yeah, that's basically the reason I suggested the front seat. :P

And the ending effect.

But other than those two effects I see your point and agree. I sat in the front, the back, and the third row. One of the ghost encounters near the end of the ride is really neat and would be most effective in the middle of the train.

Comment

• eticketdream
                  MiceChatter
                  • Dec 2008

This may be a little off topic but, for those who were able to preview Ghost Galaxy, do you know if they also refurbed the ride when installing the overlay? I have noticed all of the cars' wheels screeching really loudly as if they needed to be greased for at least the past year. I know for certain that sound wasn't there after the 2005 refurb, so it seems like the ride has been badly in need of some work for awhile now. Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else, but it really aggravates me and kind of distracts and ruins the ride for me.

Comment

• Disnyfan89
                    MiceChatter
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Gandalf75 View Post
                    It sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

The only thing I worry about is my friend Aimee. Space Mountain is one of her favorite rides but Tower of Terror is too scary for her.

I hope this is not too scary for her on our upcoming trip.

I know it will be great for me though
                    This is more scary in my opinion. Lots of screaming from those riding today and I expect it will only get louder as children start riding. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, more frightning than indy but a little less intense than Alien Encounter. Sad thing is, the queue, video and background music has seen no change (unless they are doing it tonight) which means that their is nothing to tip off parents that this is going to be an intense experience for some children. I would caution that 8 or 9 might be about the right age for the youngest members experiencing the ride. Of course, everyone must judge for themselves wether or not their child can handle the experience.

Comment

• KevRus
                      Kungaloosh!
                      • Apr 2006

^^I know what you're talking about and I didn't notice any of the squeaking anymore, but I wasn't paying too much attention to it, so I could be completely wrong.

Also, they weren't running very many trains, so they may not have been running the squeaky ones. :P I'm not sure.

Comment

• Disnyfan89
                        MiceChatter
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by eticketdream View Post
                        This may be a little off topic but, for those who were able to preview Ghost Galaxy, do you know if they also refurbed the ride when installing the overlay? I have noticed all of the cars' wheels screeching really loudly as if they needed to be greased for at least the past year. I know for certain that sound wasn't there after the 2005 refurb, so it seems like the ride has been badly in need of some work for awhile now. Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else, but it really aggravates me and kind of distracts and ruins the ride for me.
                        It doesn't appear the ride structure and vehicles got any work. Only the current effects plus new additions needed for the experience where touched. I did notice the cars screeching today more than usual but I thought it added to the experience. :lol:

Comment

• WDITrent
                          We Go On.
                          • Jun 2008

Depending on if I can make it or not, I may not watch any videos of it yet. I have memorized the regular Space Mountain down to every lift, turn, dip, rise, bank, curve, brake section, and pretty much everything else you can think of, so riding my Space Mountain fresh would be very nice.

Comment

• cyberimage321
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Disnyfan89 View Post
                            I disagree. I was able to experience it ten times today and I feel the best place to sit is the 4th row. All the effects seemed to be timed to that spot in the train. Granted, the lift hill effect is AMAZING in the front row but I feel the best experience was in the middle. In the front you kinda have to look a little behind to see the effects fully and in the last row it feels like they're just a little to ahead.

I agree the 4th row is the best... then row 1 second. The ghost lighting effect on the 2nd lift is timed perfectly for the 4th row or behind.

Row 1: clear view but some effects seem to happen behind your left shoulder
                            Row 2: OK view
                            Row 3: didn't ride
                            Row 4: Effects synced perfectly and you get a somewhat clear view of the 2nd lift projection and a perfect view of the ghost hand that chases you.
                            Row 5: OK view
                            Row 6: Good View of ghost hand that reaches down for car (the big drop about 3/4 of the way through the ride) but people's heads seem to block projection of ghost at top of 2nd lift.

Each seat has pluses and minuses my favorites are row 4 and row 1

Comment

• cyberimage321
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Mar 2009

Oh and don't count on getting a video during the ride... IT IS WAY TOO DARK... about 1/4 as bright as the regular space mountain and the projections are on for just a few seconds at a time with excellent dark black masking (no square projector splash over or gray blacks) . But good luck to anyone who tries... we might get lucky and have a cool youtube video.

Comment

• DLCM22
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Sep 2009

im new here but i rode this as well during the cast preview
                                honestly i wasnt too impressed with it. it was basically the exact same thing as the original with the exception of the projected ghosts. it seemed a little faster and some of the effects were cool but i didn't get the feeling of it being too scary.

to whoever said it's scarier than TOT, i have to disagree completely. space mountain isnt even scary, and when added these little ghosts, it ups the scare factor by maybe 3.

i admit, i did jump in my seat at the end but that was it.

i expected it to be much different but it wasnt. kind of a disappointment. but i do love space mountain so it was just like riding it privately

Comment

• KevRus
                                  Kungaloosh!
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DLCM22 View Post
                                  it was basically the exact same thing as the original with the exception of the projected ghosts
                                  And the soundtrack and the lift hills. To me, that's completely different. But each to his own.

Comment

• Krillinish
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2007

I rode it twice around 6PM tonight. I enjoyed it. I don't want to hype it up too much as it being like the greatest thing ever. It was creepy not knowing what to expect. I knew I wanted to ride during these previews because I didn't want any preconceptions going into it. It's most creepy during the first time riding it.

My friends and I went right back on because our first ride was a bit spoiled by a group of business-shirt CMs in the front car wearing bright flashing green necklaces (seriously, guys?).

The soundtrack is creepy and it makes for most of the rides creepiness. Not knowing what to expect was also creepy. I feel that some of the projections were a little too bright. I could totally see where the projections were or were going to be because the parts that are supposed to be black and blend in with the dark were clearly gray and visible.

Anyone get the feeling that they were dispatching the trains less often? Did this have to do with the timing required for the effects? Or were there just less trains because there wasn't a long line and they had more time to kill?

For anyone who hasn't ridden Ghost Galaxy Yet:

Anyone who is reading this before they ride and reading spoilers and opinions of others is kind of ruining the experience already. It's not that often that something new comes along like this that you can experience something you haven't done 100 times. Don't spoil it by reading opinions of others before riding. ...Thank you for reading.
                                    Last edited by Krillinish; 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• DISNEYKIDa113
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Sep 2009

ok how long is the line going to be?and how long for handy cap?

Comment

• Sir Didymus
                                        Yeah.....
                                        • Aug 2008

^^Krillinish: You have no idea how difficult that is!

Comment

• KevRus
                                          Kungaloosh!
                                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Krillinish View Post
                                          Anyone get the feeling that they were dispatching the trains less often? Did this have to do with the timing required for the effects? Or were there just less trains because there wasn't a long line and they had more time to kill?
                                          Oh man. I never thought about that. I just assumed it was because of the short line, but you raise an interesting question. I really hope the effects work with a full load of rockets, because the line will be absolutely horrifying if not.

Also, I hope I'm not hyping up the ride too much. Looking back, I think I am. I'm just very excited because it was a very fun and enjoyable overlay. It's not the greatest thing ever but it is great. :P

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X