This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monorail at DLR Pointless?

If you think about it the monorail at WDW is even more "pointless" than the monorail at the DLR. I mean the WDW monorail is only effeicient for half of it and only a few hotels. Everywhere else you need to rely on busses to get you from place to place. If the monorail system is so effielcient then why has it not expanded to the entire WDW resort?

At least at DL it serves the basic purpose of being a ride to enjoy. In that aspect the DLR version is not pointless at all. On the contrary it serves a very functional purpose, looking at it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
      If you think about it the monorail at WDW is even more "pointless" than the monorail at the DLR. I mean the WDW monorail is only effeicient for half of it and only a few hotels. Everywhere else you need to rely on busses to get you from place to place. If the monorail system is so effielcient then why has it not expanded to the entire WDW resort?

At least at DL it serves the basic purpose of being a ride to enjoy. In that aspect the DLR version is not pointless at all. On the contrary it serves a very functional purpose, looking at it that way.
      WDW Monorail pointless? 150,000 passengers per DAY don't think so. The highest priced Disney hotels are on the monorail line. Why wasn't it expanded? Different management had different values. Post-Disney Era was all about show, Eisner-era is all about the stockholder.

As when Disneyland when it was built, WD Productions mortgaged the farm to build WDW. $450 million got you a Theme Park, 2 Hotels, 110 acre lagoon lots of infrastructure and a 7 mile monorail system. Pretty good deal. That's about 2.4 Billion in today's dollars. Today's management would never risk to gain those kind of benefits.

Comment

Let's see... Biggest problem of the WDW Monorail system... Breakdowns. If one train breaks, that entire segment of the system is closed until they can fix/tow the broken Monorail to free up the track.

Las Vegas did take that into consideration, but if there is a Broken Monorail, the system has to go to about 1 train every 12 minutes instead of 6.

Another problem... FIXED capacity, most guests want to enter the parks when they open, and leave when they close, leaving major backups (and why many opt for a bus instead.)

Loading issues are also another problem, especially those who need special assistance.

IMHO, the best system out there right now is the Metro Orange Line Buses, where special stations are built to have the bus entrances at the same level as the door openings. And that is another very good design, multiple entrances, and very wide. Most of the bus is at the same level, so works well with strollers and wheelchairs. (Some parts of the bus are elevated, basically where the tires are located).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Orange_Line_(LACMTA)

But I think it would be the BEST option for the Buzz Lightyear expanded lot. Faster loading and you can line them up in the morning and evening when demand is at its highest. Build the loading platforms at the Parking lot and redesign the Tram area to be able to host the larger buses.
        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

A Monorail from Union Station to DLR...one could only dream

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
            But I think it would be the BEST option for the Buzz Lightyear expanded lot. Faster loading and you can line them up in the morning and evening when demand is at its highest. Build the loading platforms at the Parking lot and redesign the Tram area to be able to host the larger buses.
            I like this idea. It seems very practical.

Comment

Practical, yes...futuristic, no.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
              HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
              ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
              FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

But isn't the point of TRANSPORTATION to be the most practical and get you from Point A to Point B in the most practical and quickest way possible.

The Monorail offers NEITHER. And I love riding the Mark VII's, but they are amusement park rides, and not true transportation.

Heck, I am not even sure if the Las Vegas Monorail system is true transportation. Seems more like a ride in the desert than practical transportation. Heck the location of most stations are awful. Now, if they extend it to the Airport, I might be saying other things, but the Taxi/Shuttle Van folks won't ever let that happen!

Taking the Amtrak to San Diego tomorrow, and looking forward to it. So I am a fan of mass transit... Alas, Monorails fail in so many ways.
                Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

It takes a way a short walk to hotels! Pretty much the same as when it just went to the DLH. So yeah, pretty pointless. It certainly doesn't add much. Although I guess it is similar to what Walt introduced! haha

Honestly, right now there is just nowhere for it to go. Unlike Disneyworld which really does utilize the monorail. It is actually kinda sad. Is it wrong of me to say it doesn't need more stops, just more places to go?

Comment

Originally posted by TheClaw View Post
                    I'm new here, so I may be touching on something that has already been hashed over a billion times. If so, sorry.

Is it just me or is the Monorail in Disneyland pretty much pointless? Walt meant for it to be an example for a future mode of transportation, so why isn't it being used that way. My specific point, that I have always wondered, is why don't they put a station in DCA, the Grand Californian, etc since it goes through there anyway.

I know it's kind of seen as one of the main benefits to staying at the DLH, but it could still be that, and wouldn't it help bring more people into DCA like they're trying to do, and create even more incentives to stay at Grand Californian?

As it sits, it's basically (for me) something to get on when you're tired of walking, and want to sit down and enjoy the view for a few minutes.

Are there any plans, or have there been any plans to up the monorail into something useful?

Any thoughts?

my answer to your question is this: no the monorail has a very relative point to it.

or as we say in micechat

:thumbdown:

long live the monorail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No need to expand the Monorail route. As far as im concerned people are lazier these days and need the excercise. A little extra walking wont kill anyone.

Comment

Its not pointless, its just a demonstration project. but is was a demonstration project of the year 1959. Since then Monorails can be used for parking lot to theme park transportation. WDW is proof of that. They are not fixed capcity, and during peak time they add trains and dispatch at invervals of roughly two minutes. Newer monorails (AKA TDL resort liners) can be built at grade level eliminated the need for ADA ramps.

All that said, the DLR monorails are just not designed for this. They are too small. Their WDW cousin are not only six car trains, but each car is significantly larger at WDW vs. DL. I do think a DCA station would be fun. But clearly not nessesary.

I've always thought a DCA/DGC hotel combo station between Soaring and the first tunnel through the hotel. They could route the entrance and exit so that it only leaves you to and from the hotel grounds, and from there you'd have to use the hotels entrance to DCA.

Would make for a neat three train operation. Example. Red leaves DTD and as she passes by the front of Disneyland, Orange departs DCA and makes the short trip to DTD. Red continues into Tomorrowland and on her second flyover the sub lagoon, Blue departs for the short trip to DCA. Red pulls into TL station roughly the same time Blue is pulling into DCA and then we wait for Orange to depart DTD and start the cycle over again. I think they would also need a fouth train to maintain that during the busy season.

Its just a fun thought. someone on here will kill it now with how it can't be done because..... x y and z. And they probably are right. But its still a fun thought.

Comment

Oh I would love them to expand it so that it goes to John Wayne Airport.... I could just fly in and take the monorail to the park!

Comment

*sigh* the monorail. when i was a kid and i saw it for the first time way back in the early 90's i just had to ride it. it's still a fun ride. it's such a cool train. i don't care if i never use it to get outside the park. it's just a fun ride to look around and see things from a higher perspective. kinda like the way the people mover was except faster and longer.

when i die im going to turn into a ghost and live on the monorail like that ghost of a homeless guy in the subway train in that one movie about a guy who was murdered and turned into a ghost and tried to get his revenge on his friend while protecting his wife all while being a ghost.

i think it was called "road house".

Comment

When I went to WDW their system I thought was very efficient the only downfall is that it should connect all the major theme parks, that would make it practical.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                              Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

It's not pointless. How else can you get a cocktail at Disneyland? You take the monorail of course to DDD!
                                Galactic Member

Comment

I miss the days that my mom would surprise me after school and take me to the Disneyland Hotel and pay $1 for a round trip on the monorail.

Comment

Pointless? Pointless?! Who told you that?

Make a monorail in RCT, RCT2, and RCT3. Then you will know how important transportation is at Disneyland and theme parks.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                                    Save
                                    Sav

Comment

My wish is that the Monorail would make an express connection with Hollywood, where Disney buffs could catch a movie at the El Capitan or check out Graumann's Chinese Theatre, the Walk of Fame, the Hollywood & Highland Center, or the new Madame Tussaud's.

But then I suppose that the fake Hollywood in California Adventure would be rendered pointless in turn.

Still, Disneyland and Hollywood both have HUGE groups of tourists who would no doubt LOVE to have the ability to easily shuttle back and forth between these two great "imagination centers." Disneyland and Hollywood have a LOT in common in terms of their shared objective of bringing dreams and imagination into reality.

Another option might be an express PEOPLE-MOVER to connect Disneyland and Hollywood. It's just been ages since anybody's had any fun with transportation, and a working, practical People-Mover would serve as a mighty cheery antidote to that sad fact.

Comment

I see a pattern in every's posts about the problems with DLR's monorail, WDW's monorail and LV's monorail... lack of expansion.

Go ahead, look at previous posts bashing the monorail... If it was expanded, we would all love it (even with the lack of capacity for the DLR.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                                          I see a pattern in every's posts about the problems with DLR's monorail, WDW's monorail and LV's monorail... lack of expansion.

Go ahead, look at previous posts bashing the monorail... If it was expanded, we would all love it (even with the lack of capacity for the DLR.)
                                          You are right with that! At WDW we have 400 buses and counting. These buses run on the same roads as the cars do and there are times especially in DTD at night when there is grid lock. It often looks like the buses out number the cars. Although this has been temporarily eased by closing Pleasure Island of anything that might attract a crowd.

Betting on just Buses or Monorails won't work but Buses feeding Monorails at major stations and then you have something cool. DL Monorail is just a classic in need of more destinations.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X