Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entertainment Schedule

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Idea] Entertainment Schedule

    Alright so I have been examining Tokyo Disney Resort's schedule obsessively and noticed some things Disneyland simply should pick up on. Tokyo Disney offers a unique, and diverse selection of entertainment offerings that cater to everyone's needs. These are some concepts I would like to see come to the Disneyland Resort:
    • Out with Fantasmic, In with Electrical Parade Dreamlights - Before, anyone kills me, listen to my resoning. Fantasmic! is a terrific show but is simply old. Its technology is clearly outdated and has been around for over 17 years. That is just too long for any entertainment offering without any major changes. Not to mention, Fantasmic! creates a crowd control issue like no other show. It makes the park a fiasco for getting thru Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country. My solution is to bring in a 21st Century version of Dreamlights. Before I became interested/obsessed with Tokyo Disney, I still wanted this. Not only would it be far easier to control crowds, but it would also offer a much more diverse nighttime entertainment schedule. Fire and fountains in World of Color, fireworks, lasers, and spotlights in the 55th Fireworks, and live actors, and beautiful floats in Electrical Parade. Please don't go crazy on me for this one.
    • More Walk Around Characters - Disneyland would not be as successful as it is today if it didn't have the famous walk around characters. While I do think that today there is a nice selection of Walk Around characters, unfortunately most of them (Mad Hatter, Marry Poppins) being a few exceptions spend their times taking pictures. In my humble opinion, it would be far more entertaining if these characters were performers instead of photo ops. Yes they should definitely still take pictures, but still have lots of fun at it! Dance with guests and play around before taking a quick picture, make a memory that can't be caught in a still photo. While we are on the subject, lets bring in some more characters as well. Daisy, Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, the Big Bad Wolf, Pete, and many other supporting classic characters should be crawling over in Toon Town. Each of the Fab 5 + Chip n' Dale/Daisy should be easy to find in the park with different costumes. In most of the lands, they should have their own unique costumes!
    • A Real Fantasyland Theater - Even though, I do love the Fantasyland theater, it needs to be renovated. I think the park could do much more if they bull dozed it, made a new indoor theater, and left room for a E-Ticket in Fantasyland. It is very possible. In the theater, I would love for one mega show that showcases lots of Disney classics. Each year, the show could be updated to feature the latest Disney movie like Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel, The King of Elves, and other movies to keep it fresh before removing it after at least a 5+ year run. This would be much better use then to have a cop out known as Princess Fantasy Faire.
    • Bye Playhouse Disney Live on Stage! - The show is nice, but that area is soon to be (hopefully) a 1930s Hollywoodland. Playhouse Disney live on stage could easily become a beautiful recreation of the Brown Derby, or a small dark ride, but it needs to go. As a subsitute, for the Plaza Garden stage in Disneyland I would like a high energy, short and fun show. It would feature some of little kids favorite characters like Goofy, Mickey, Donald, Daisy, Minnie, and more as well as some high energy performers to play in a bright and colorful performance! In DCA, every morning 30 minutes after opening, the characters come out for an adaptation of 'Meet and Smile' where a small performance plays before lots of characters come out and greet the park guests. 10 minutes after the show ends, the trolleys could start running.
    • Hyperion Theater - Hyperion needs to be the grand daddy of them all. I am not sure how feasible this is, but I would love it if the theater could support two shows. One show, would feature an original storyline, and deal with Hollywoodland, with original music, etc, while the other would be based off a movie. The original production would last for 5 years or so, with the movie based production rotating out every year. A christmas special could be run for the original special with the movie based production running double time, and every January, they could close down the movie based show to add a new one.
    • Standardizing the schedule -Disneyland offers alot, however, they seem to offer much more on weekends. This should not be the case. Disneyland should offer the same entertainment every day of the week. Fireworks, Electrical Parade, World of Color should run every night, once a night except for peak days. The park should have some extra entertainment showings on weekends, but the offerings should not change greatly at all. This, in theory, would allow the park to not have to run World of Color and Electrical Parade twice a night as much because you could see them other times in the week, diluting the crowd. However, both should run twice on peak days, and on their big debut season.

    Wow this post was longer then I thought. Thanks for reading my rant. I also have a few finer details that I may add later. What do you think?
    Last edited by Ice101; 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Entertainment Schedule

    Fantasmic! could be performed on the north end of Rivers of America. maybe with permanent benches as in WDW.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Entertainment Schedule

      Originally posted by sediment View Post
      Fantasmic! could be performed on the north end of Rivers of America. maybe with permanent benches as in WDW.
      No, it is old and needs to go. Plus Fantasmic at WDW feels way too much like a theater show. Because of that mentality, far too often people leave before the grand finale.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Entertainment Schedule

        Fantasmic! shouldn't go anywhere. It should have regular updates but to take the whole show out? I don't think so, no way. And it's not outdated at all. Show me another park in the world that can pull off a show like that!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Entertainment Schedule

          Fantasmic! is clearly still successful given the huge crowds it pulls in.

          I like the idea of more characters.

          One needs to remember that the other Magic Kingdoms (i.e. WDW, DLP) have the blessing of size to disperse the crowds during big entertainment events. Disneyland simply doesn't have this luxury.

          Weekends are entertainment heavy due to higher crowds. Basic economics.
          Last edited by DarylF; 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Entertainment Schedule

            With as much attendance as Fantasmic still attracts, I don't believe it to be feasible nor worthy of getting rid of at this time. And with "Murphy" apparently working now, this is a major upgrade to the show. So I cannot see any reason to get rid of it. And with the addition of World of Color over at DCA, the resort now has a major night time competitor for attention once WOC begins next spring.

            I do like, Ice, your suggestions for the Hyperion and the Fantasyland Theaters, as they both could use another show that would really make them more attractive. However, I would hate to see Aladdin go, as it is a great show. With an inventive genie, the show can always seem fresh by adding up-to-the-minute jokes (like the genie using Kanye West this weekend) to keep the show current.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Entertainment Schedule

              1) Fantasmic is a great show, one of the best of its kind anywhere.

              2) Fantasmic is an immense disruption to normal park operations

              3) Fantasmic is compromised as a show because it has generally bad viewlines and seating arrangements, especially for kids.

              Conclusion: DL would be better off moving Fantasmic to an alternative venue, one that is out of the flow of normal parkgoing traffic, one where everyone who wants a seat can get a seat without "staking out territory" for hours in advance, and where everyone gets a great view of the show. Not to mention the probability that a dedicated venue would allow significant enhancements to the show in terms of special effects, lighting, etc.

              There's underutilized land available for this, it stretches from the ROA to the Fantasy Faire. This might be one of the single biggest enhancements DL could make to today's parkgoing experience. AND, it would be relatively cheap to implement.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Entertainment Schedule

                Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

                You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

                Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Entertainment Schedule

                  Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                  Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

                  You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

                  Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.
                  Then you shouldn't have brought it up. We are only commenting on the ideas YOU have put forth.

                  I for one believe Fantasmic should stay. It continues to draw large crowds and has had many, almost too many, updates. Just because it's old it's bad. You do know the MSEP started in 1972, right? It had a few updates, just like Fantasmic... and it ran until 1996 (minus about 4 years). Let's see that makes its run about 20 years... that's more than Fantasmic... it also doesn't count its run at DCA. So, therefore, it is bad because it is old right? I guess in your book it must be.

                  Characters: Yes, yes... they need to be out more often. Do away with the schedules and just throw them out in random places at random times. No more designated Meet N' Greets (Yes, I'm looking at you PFF and Pixie Hollow...)
                  WELCOME ABOARD
                  THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Entertainment Schedule

                    Ice, you forgot the new crocodile.

                    also
                    Out with Fantasmic, In with Electrical Parade


                    Your argument failed me with that statement there.

                    How, oh how, is F! too old by today's standards when EP is 20 years older?
                    PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                    Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                    3DS: 3050-7580-4526

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Entertainment Schedule

                      Originally posted by Browncoat View Post
                      Ice, you forgot the new crocodile.

                      also [/B]

                      Your argument failed me with that statement there.

                      How, oh how, is F! too old by today's standards when EP is 20 years older?
                      Did you read what I said? I don't want the original Electrical Parade back, I want a version of Dreamlights from Tokyo.

                      There, I changed the title so you don't have to read the description to know what I am talking about.
                      Last edited by Ice101; 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Entertainment Schedule

                        I would change that bullet point then. I read what you said but that totally invalidates the argument
                        PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                        Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                        3DS: 3050-7580-4526

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Entertainment Schedule

                          Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                          Great, here goes my Kill Fantasmic thread 2.0....

                          You all don't realize, that it is old. Murphy is the only segment that has been updated since the debut with the exception of the new eels. That is it. The show is 17 years old and is still here. A show should not last so long with no updates. It's time has come it needs to go.

                          Alright, can we please not talk about Fantasmic and instead the other ideas.
                          Well, if you didn't wanted to discuss fantasmic! further, maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Not to be mean but just saying.

                          In terms of the last idea, not all shows should be presented every day. The costs of running and maintaining the big shows like WOC and Fantasmic! is very high. Not to mention you have to consider attendance patterns in the off and peak seasons. If the parks have low attendance, then whats the point of showing the big shows? I like the entertainment schedule pattern as it is since it's familair with locals and gives tourists who visit on weekends and holidays the icing of Disney.


                          The world is a treasure trove of places.
                          The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                          Indy Ride Count: 2211
                          World of Color Count: 74

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Entertainment Schedule

                            No Fantasmic should not go and Dream lights is a horibble replacement. Keep play house disney its meant for childrten not 40 year old men. Yes on brown derby though but in an alternate location maybe Hollywood and dine?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Entertainment Schedule

                              Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                              Then you shouldn't have brought it up. We are only commenting on the ideas YOU have put forth.

                              I for one believe Fantasmic should stay. It continues to draw large crowds and has had many, almost too many, updates. Just because it's old it's bad. You do know the MSEP started in 1972, right? It had a few updates, just like Fantasmic... and it ran until 1996 (minus about 4 years). Let's see that makes its run about 20 years... that's more than Fantasmic... it also doesn't count its run at DCA. So, therefore, it is bad because it is old right? I guess in your book it must be.
                              Yes, MSEP is bad because it's old. Because, being old, it can't begin to utilize the lighting and float tech available that would bring it into this century. What they added to it this year is pitiful compared to what they could do if they started from scratch. I'm sorry, but far to many have a death grip on the past, not because it's good, but because it's the past. The only reason (besides Disney just being to cheap to build a new parade) that the parade even exists anymore is because fans can't seem to let go and move on. They seem to ignore glaring signs that the parade has been outpaced by everything, and yes, Fantasmic is starting down that path as well. The only things interesting to me watching F! now are the three things they added to it this year. That's not enough to support a whole show. Entertainment, more than anything else in the parks, needs to change at a constant rate. Or else you end up like WDW, showing the same parades (that weren't that good to begin with), for a decade.

                              I don't know if I would completely get rid of F!, but at the very least it needs an overhaul to it's very structure, new sequences etc... Also, they need to work on how they approach crowd control. Comparing TDR's exemplary crowd control to all of the other parks just makes them look disgraceful. I would hold off on declaring F! should go until we see what WoC does to the crowd landscape. If there's little positive effect, I would possibly be more in favor of removal, then add another option to DCA's night line up. Perhaps a new(ish) form of night parade that's significantly different from the Dreamlights style parade that would go to DL. Something like the Halloween night parades TDL has, but amp up the float and light tech, and obviously have a different theme. That way you have two night options at each park.

                              As for your other ideas ICe, I couldn't agree more. How great would it be to see a princess and her prince spontaneously waltzing through Fantasyland? Or have all the classic toon characters seemingly living out normal, yet wacky, days in ToonTown? The B'rer characters having escapades in Critter Country. That's Disney Magic, the unexpected, the characters truly coming to life, not just standing around at static photo spots. I'm currently a Halloween atmosphere character at an non-Disney park, and this type of interaction and character work is completely doable, and a lot of fun. Just use Hatter, Alice, Mary and Bert as templates.

                              Also, I remember reading somewhere that the Hyperion was built to be able to support three separate shows I think, so two should be within the realm of possibilities. You just need to get rid of the false proscenium built for Aladdin. And give the theater a real interior that doesn't look like a warehouse.

                              Originally posted by DarylF View Post
                              Weekends are entertainment heavy due to higher crowds. Basic economics.
                              No, it's not. It's Disney saving an extra buck on weekdays while giving guests a downgraded experience while charging them the same price. TDR often gives you more than what you strictly pay for (certainly more than any US park ever gives you) by not only having a full entertainment schedule every day, but also having lavish seasonal entertainment that they never charge extra for. No Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Very Merry Christmas Party here.
                              Formerly kaliwolf.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Entertainment Schedule

                                So you say the show is old, I agree as to the same story line otherwise show technology has never been newer. Well you have not noticed that almost all of the infrastructure to the show has been updated within the last 2 years (2008 off season). Lets start at towers. All towers were rebuilt 2 years ago and re-outfitted with brand new equipment. Out with all the bulbs in with LEDS, everything that lights up the show is either a high powered xeon bulb or LED, that is a recent technology. Total cost to update all lights on towers, stage, riverfront you might ask? In the range of 2 million dollars, want a brake down of that I can provide it. The towers have Clay Paky's alpha wash & alpha profile 1200w lights. Up top the tower's is Syncrolite mx3000's, and the Strong Gladiator lV for the follow spots. Along the banks/viewing area there are lights on the rivers edge that were just recently updated to LED's from bulbs. Also just last winter with the HD projectors and updating the video to HD, thats nearly half a million in itself. Then theres also what improvements will be done this winter to the water jets and water infrastructure...

                                Sure the show is ancient but still PACKS in the crowd every night that I have been this summer/year. You know how Disney thinks now a days, if it earns money why change it? Why improve it even? Why even dare say remove it? I just can't see grier paying money to take out a show that packs in a crowd. Especially after he spent millions on the dragon and recent improvements.
                                For those who hate it for ruining the tranquility of the area then would you rather ruin main street.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Entertainment Schedule

                                  Fantasmic! should not be going anywhere. While the show is old, it definitely is not stale. The rivers are packed night after night for 2 sometimes 3 shows..At the end? applause..lots and lots of applause. For a show that came out in 92, It still seems ahead of it's time.

                                  :slight rant:
                                  I think a lot of people are sold on WOC being the ultimate production based off of the amount of firepower they are installing..We'll see if a football field of fountains are able to muster up the same emotion that Fantasmic! has during it's run.
                                  :end rant:

                                  I would not get rid of Playhouse Disney until they add more things for the kids. Even then, it's a huge hit amongst the kids.. Would never happen, but I've always thought it would be cool if the animation building extended into the gift shop and restrooms so that PHD could queue up from inside Animation. Would seem slightly more appropriate..

                                  Agree that Fantasyland theatre needs to be enclosed and Hyperion feels like it is due for a new show. Would love Nemo to come here (assuming they wouldn't want to do an original show)..

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Entertainment Schedule

                                    Fantasmic may be old in terms of age but it does not show it! All the infastructure is new: lights, pyrotechnics, costumes, equipment, props. Sure the story may have been created 17-18 years ago.. but its is a timeless concept and a wonderful show! The crowds and response are a testament to how this show is FAR from dated.

                                    For me, Fantasmic is a testament of what Disney USED to be able to do! Hopefully WOC proves Disney can still produce the magic of Walts days!






                                    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                    ~

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Entertainment Schedule

                                      Originally posted by Disney Analyst View Post
                                      Fantasmic may be old in terms of age but it does not show it! All the infastructure is new: lights, pyrotechnics, costumes, equipment, props. Sure the story may have been created 17-18 years ago.. but its is a timeless concept and a wonderful show! The crowds and response are a testament to how this show is FAR from dated.

                                      For me, Fantasmic is a testament of what Disney USED to be able to do! Hopefully WOC proves Disney can still produce the magic of Walts days!
                                      I agree.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Entertainment Schedule

                                        Originally posted by kaliwolf View Post
                                        Yes, MSEP is bad because it's old. Because, being old, it can't begin to utilize the lighting and float tech available that would bring it into this century. What they added to it this year is pitiful compared to what they could do if they started from scratch. I'm sorry, but far to many have a death grip on the past, not because it's good, but because it's the past. The only reason (besides Disney just being to cheap to build a new parade) that the parade even exists anymore is because fans can't seem to let go and move on. They seem to ignore glaring signs that the parade has been outpaced by everything, and yes, Fantasmic is starting down that path as well. The only things interesting to me watching F! now are the three things they added to it this year. That's not enough to support a whole show. Entertainment, more than anything else in the parks, needs to change at a constant rate. Or else you end up like WDW, showing the same parades (that weren't that good to begin with), for a decade.

                                        I don't know if I would completely get rid of F!, but at the very least it needs an overhaul to it's very structure, new sequences etc... Also, they need to work on how they approach crowd control. Comparing TDR's exemplary crowd control to all of the other parks just makes them look disgraceful. I would hold off on declaring F! should go until we see what WoC does to the crowd landscape. If there's little positive effect, I would possibly be more in favor of removal, then add another option to DCA's night line up. Perhaps a new(ish) form of night parade that's significantly different from the Dreamlights style parade that would go to DL. Something like the Halloween night parades TDL has, but amp up the float and light tech, and obviously have a different theme. That way you have two night options at each park.

                                        As for your other ideas ICe, I couldn't agree more. How great would it be to see a princess and her prince spontaneously waltzing through Fantasyland? Or have all the classic toon characters seemingly living out normal, yet wacky, days in ToonTown? The B'rer characters having escapades in Critter Country. That's Disney Magic, the unexpected, the characters truly coming to life, not just standing around at static photo spots. I'm currently a Halloween atmosphere character at an non-Disney park, and this type of interaction and character work is completely doable, and a lot of fun. Just use Hatter, Alice, Mary and Bert as templates.

                                        Also, I remember reading somewhere that the Hyperion was built to be able to support three separate shows I think, so two should be within the realm of possibilities. You just need to get rid of the false proscenium built for Aladdin. And give the theater a real interior that doesn't look like a warehouse.



                                        No, it's not. It's Disney saving an extra buck on weekdays while giving guests a downgraded experience while charging them the same price. TDR often gives you more than what you strictly pay for (certainly more than any US park ever gives you) by not only having a full entertainment schedule every day, but also having lavish seasonal entertainment that they never charge extra for. No Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Very Merry Christmas Party here.
                                        You hit my points dead on the nail. MSEP can't move on because of its fans? Well I feel that is clearly the case with Fantasmic!.

                                        I consider frequent theme park guests to be well trained dogs (No offense to neither the human, nor dog society). Disney teaches them what to like and what not to like. Frankly, Disney can teach whatever they want because sadly, today there is no true competetion and Disney just has that name. However, simply put, the park is in ruins compared to the 80s, 70s, and 60s. If you were to take the avera Tokyo Disney resort visitor and showed them Fantasmic and then showed them one of their high quality shows (not counting fireworks, unfair comparison) they would clearly take their show. Fantasmic is good, but it is old! Yes I will say that I am relying very heavily on WoC for kicking F! to the ground and shooting it in the head, knocking it dead, but none the less, Fantasmic is old and needs some MAJOR changes, and that is not a broken dragon guys.

                                        I considered offering a second nighttime entertainment show for DCA, but I just didn't like how it would have worked out. I think that the parks should offer seasonal nighttime events during peak seasons. That gives people an excuse to come to see a show that will only be there for a few weeks out of the year, AND allows Disney to run extra shows only at peak seasons while still being totally fair. Think Bonfire Dance (TDS), Cinderellabration (TDL), Club Monsters Inc. (TDL), and Harborside Christmas (TDS).

                                        The characters we are describing are just awesome. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely for any of that coming to frutition with the sad announcement of WDW's very lack luster Fantasyland that is 80% meet and greets now. How dumb.

                                        Exactly my point there. Disneyland charges the same on a Tuesday then they do a Saturday, yet you get more offered on Saturday. That is not fair at all and is just yet another example of Disney managment driving the parks into the ground.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X