X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney Family Museum Disneyland Model

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
    I think we've had a miscommunication - it was a sarcastic imitation of an imaginary poster who would be put off by the model's absence of some of Disney's more recent..."creativity." Your analysis is rougly correct - I was thinking more late 60s. The mine train was still there, so it can't be the late 70s, and Space Mountain features a variation on the attraction's earlier designs. I'm sure the modelers didn't intend to nail down a specific year, but the very late 60s or very early 70s seem like as good an estimate as any.
    You are correct. It says so on the case display. I got to go last weekend and it was awesome. I recomend going early. I literally got kicked out because when that baby closes it CLOSES!!!

Also beware the last room in the museum that deals with Walt's death...it's a beautiful tribute, but unless you have a heart of pure stone, you will cry.

But one of the cool things about the model is that parts of it move and light up! The tea cups spin, the carousel goes around and even the spinning boulders on the mine train spin. I could have spent an hour staring at that thing but the purple coats were ready to shut it all down so I had to get outta there

Comment

I think we've had a miscommunication - it was a sarcastic imitation of an imaginary poster who would be put off by the model's absence of some of Disney's more recent..."creativity." Your analysis is rougly correct - I was thinking more late 60s. The mine train was still there, so it can't be the late 70s, and Space Mountain features a variation on the attraction's earlier designs. I'm sure the modelers didn't intend to nail down a specific year, but the very late 60s or very early 70s seem like as good an estimate as any.
      The Flying Saucers was an attraction at Disneyland in Anaheim, California from 1961 to 1966.
      Disneyland Flying Saucers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pirates
      opened in its original form in New Orleans Square at Disneyland on March 18, 1967.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean

Adventure Thru Inner Space opened on August 5, 1967 as part of the New Tomorrowland, and closed in 1985
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventu...gh_Inner_Space

Comment

I'm sure the modelers didn't intend to nail down a specific year, but the very late 60s or very early 70s seem like as good an estimate as any.
        There's really no use estimating. The model respresents NO SPECIFIC YEAR. Or even decade.

Don't over-analyze it. Enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

That model is awesome!!! It's my dream to make one of these models one day to keep in my house. I know I can make it happen. :]
          I'm going to beggggg my parents to take me to the museum sometime!
          sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
          Disney is my life <3
          Thank Walt for all he did! <3
          Future Imagineer <3
          Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

Unbelievably cool. This model would be worth Museum admission alone for me.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I am seriously bursting with excitement to go to the grand opening of the WDFM! I'll even be there early enough to hear the opening speeches and for the ribbon cutting. I just hope that Tony Baxter will make an appearance I will try and take a few pictures, but they might be pretty strict on cameras and phones. I don't wanna get kicked out :blush:

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                Don't over-analyze it. Enjoy it for what it is.
                It's a model of Disneyland in 1966 with Space Mountain added. No point in over analyzing it at all.

Comment

Awesome model. And my beloved Rainbow Caverns too.
                  It has to be post-1967 because that's when PeopleMover and Adventure thru Inner Space debuted.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                    It's a model of Disneyland in 1966 with Space Mountain added. No point in over analyzing it at all.
                    The model was no particular year. It was intended to represent the various concepts that Walt had envisioned during his lifetime. Some were actually built, others were never realized. The model was apparently created as sort of a 3D version of a Sam McKim park map with exaggerated elements representation the various attractions.

Comment

To really enjoy this model, you have to let go of the accuracy issue. It isn't suppose to be ultra-accurate snap shot of the park at a certain year so there isn't a need to nitpick it. You wouldn't nitpick a DL fun map would you? I could list the numerous inaccuracies with the Nature's Wonderland area alone, but I forget about that and enjoy the model as it is.

This model does not represent a specific year or decade. It represents the Disneyland Walt created when he was alive and the ideas and plans he had for it in the future. That's why Space Mountain is in it's John Hench design before it got developed more, because Walt never saw it that way. That's why TL 67 is there, because Walt planned the land that way. That's why Nature's Wonderland hasn't been booted by Big Thunder, because Walt never planned it that way. It's the way Walt saw Disneyland, not what Disneyland actually became to be.

Comment

I know we're not talking about a specific year. Just commenting on the fact that the Mine Train was there until they took it out to build BTMRR, which opened in latter 1979...so it could be said the mine train was still there in the mid-to-late-70's.
                        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

July 1956 - Rainbow Caverns Mine Train opens
                          Oct. 1959 - Rainbow Caverns Mine Train closes for remodeling
                          May 1960 - Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland opens
                          July 1967 - PeopleMover opens
                          Aug. 1967 - Adventure thru Inner Space opens
                          Jan. 1977 - Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland closes
                          May 1977 - Space Mountain opens
                          Sept. 1979 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opens
                          Sept. 1985 - Adventure thru Inner Space closes
                          Jan. 1987 - Star Tours opens
                          Aug. 1995 - PeopleMover closes

So I would say the model is most accurate for early 1977, before Nature's Wonderland was torn up and while Space Mountain was still under construction.

Comment

I can remember the mine train being open as late as the summer of 76, as I can remember a co-worker, assigned to that attraction. The above timeline is accurate to my memory, and makes sense. And I watched Space Mountain being built from the ground up, since it was located in an area across from the old men's locker room!
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Technically, wasn't it built from 15 feet below the ground, up?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                Technically, wasn't it built from 15 feet below the ground, up?
                                I don't remember, to be honest.

Comment

The flying saucers are still represented.

Clearly the artist is conveying Disneyland as Walt would have remembered it or described it in heaven.

Comment

I thought I read once that the entire Space Mountain is sunk 15 feet below ground level, so that it doesn't dominate too much and overpower the Matterhorn. I can't remember where I read that, but I read that they excavated 15 feet of ground first. Maybe an expert here can chime in.

Comment

Space Mountain indeed goes about 15 feet below ground level. Might be a little more with the new track and foundation...I'm not sure.

And to those (Steve, Liver, Sam, etc.) who think some of us are overanalyzing...I did say I was "sure the modelers didn't intend to nail down a specific year," mind you. It's got elements from different years and different concepts, and the point is clearly to show a romanticized Walt's-eye view of the park. Not strictly the park as it ever existed. And it's precisely because it takes that route that it's such an incredibly cool model.

Comment

I'll be there today!!!!!!

Comment

lol I just think the model is cool. I'm not that concerned with what year it represents.

(Especially since the plaque in front of it says it doesn't represent any particular year)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X