X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney Family Museum Disneyland Model

Originally posted by Datameister View Post

And to those (Steve, Liver, Sam, etc.) who think some of us are overanalyzing...I did say I was "sure the modelers didn't intend to nail down a specific year," mind you. It's got elements from different years and different concepts, and the point is clearly to show a romanticized Walt's-eye view of the park. Not strictly the park as it ever existed. And it's precisely because it takes that route that it's such an incredibly cool model.
    Yes, I know you said that. I respect that, you know how to interpret the model correctly! But there are others here who insist on figuring out the date and listing attractions with dates to prove it (not to mention any names, Bob Weaver ). I've made my point, and I'll leave it at that. It's Walt's vision of the park as far as we knew based on present and future plans.

Comment

Some more details shots, which is discouraged by the staff since they want you to come out and see the details for yourself! (which explains why there are a lot of general shots out there)

Sneak Peek: The Presidio's New Walt Disney Family Museum - San Francisco Music - All Shook Down

Disney Family Museum puts focus on Walt

Mickey Gets a Gallery - The New York Times > Arts > Slide Show > Slide 8 of 11

Comment

I'd pay good money just to buy a Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland model just like that. Especially if the rocks turned, the geysers worked, the waterfalls on Cascade Peak worked and the Rainbow Caverns worked with small blacklights. Another member here is building one for himself.

Oh and thanks for calling me out by name... such manners.

Comment

as amazing as it is I am curious about the giant pirate ship in the tank next to Jungle... I also LOVE the Mine Train model complete with Cascade Peak!
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
            as amazing as it is I am curious about the giant pirate ship in the tank next to Jungle... I also LOVE the Mine Train model complete with Cascade Peak!
            That is a stylized representation of the Wicked Wench inside Pirates of the Caribbean.

Comment

This does of course add fuel to the questions of what Walt would think of various changes such as Splash Mountain or Indy... To be more specific he was close friends with Walter Knott... would he have envisioned a similar log ride for his own park?

Overall it shows a creative direction Walt may have taken at that time... but even if he had taken that direction there is no way of knowing if the changes made later would in any way resemble even that park.

sigpic

Comment

Was there ever a Fantasia ride where Pinocchio is now? Or plans for one? It looks like that's what the model shows

Comment

It shows the Mickey Mouse Club review.

Comment

Thanks for the link; it killed me not to be able to take pictures myself when I toured the museum a week or so back. So now my question:

Look to the top right of this photo, next to IASM and just above the blue Monorail. What's that building represent? It stood out to me that day, and the docent on duty didn't know either.

Comment

Originally posted by M&M Daddy View Post
                      Thanks for the link; it killed me not to be able to take pictures myself when I toured the museum a week or so back. So now my question:

Look to the top right of this photo, next to IASM and just above the blue Monorail. What's that building represent? It stood out to me that day, and the docent on duty didn't know either.
                      It looks like the Carolwood Pacific Railway barn.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                        I was going to say future storage for Pressler's Plushies... but yeah it looks like the barn.

sigpic

Comment

Was that once on display? As an attraction or just something seen from the railroad?

Comment

Clearly this model is an artistic representation of a Disneyland that never exisisted.

I love that the model has a Space Mountain that looks like John Hench's early drawings.

I saw a local program that covered the museum. It is available on their website Eye On The Bay - cbs5.com

In the piece, they noted that the model was created by a SFx house that does modeling for movie productions. In the piece you can see a little bit of the movement in the model.

I am anxious to get out to the Presidio!

Oh, and I would love to have the Matterhorn part of the model. Here's hoping the Olzsewski Matterhorn looks as cool.
                            Last edited by themur; 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: one more thing...
                            The Mur

Comment

The model is amazing and even better in person. It's awesome!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

It looks like Walt's Barn, which is now residing at the Live Steamers site in Griffith Park. I don't know if the model is supposed to represent it at that site or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                  It shows the Mickey Mouse Club review.

In the Mickey Mouse revue, Mickey wears a tux, not his apprentice robe, besides, Walt never made up an idea for that attraction.
                                  "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                                  __________________________________________________________

Comment

Are there buttons around it that you can push to make certain attractions and features "come alive" and the ride vehicles start moving?

Is it illuminated in the dark, to illustrate the park's nighttime personality?

Why aren't there people shown on the walkways?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                      Why aren't there people shown on the walkways?
                                      Maybe they are ghost people! OOoooooo!

For me, the lack of physical model people allowed me to put myself in the model and imagine looking at those structures like I was the only one at Disneyland.

There are implied people though. The Monorail and People Mover, Matterhorn, and other rides seem to be running or at least that could be assumed. Especially since there is some animation on some attractions. So you could assume (imagine) invisible guests would be in those cars.

edit: The Matterhorn looks a bit like Swiss cheese. All the holes. . .
                                      Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Well actually, I take back my last comment, I found this info:

The idea for the attraction carries back to Walt Disney himself, who described such a show during a 1962 interview. When discussing his new audio-animatronic process and its applications in The Enchanted Tiki Room and an as-yet untitled haunted house attraction, Walt said he had similar plans for "all the Disney characters."

"I have in mind a theater," he said, "and the figures will not only put on the show but be sitting in the boxes with the visitors, heckling. I don't know just when I'll do that."
                                        "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                                        __________________________________________________________

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X