This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Pulling info together from TL:1984 renovation plan

A long time ago ... in a galaxy actually very, very near to us ... was a renovation plan that never took place..........

If everyone thought TL:2055 was the only renovation plan that bit the dust, for Tomorrowland, you've only heard the half of it.

TL:2055 was a plan that came about in the late 80s. Originally planned with a January 1992 construction start date - finishing in piece-meal by 1995. But killed off by Eisner in the summer of 1991.

That was actually - Tomorrowland Renovation plan killed - round TWO.

Round ONE goes back a quarter of a decade before that .. when imagineers were on the ball with concepts to renovate the land for 1984, or roughly .. there abouts.

Unfortunately .. the amount of info on the net is minimal. Actually .. very minimal. It's the renovation plan few know.

What I know is ...

* Replacing Adventure Thru Inner Space was a "Star Wars" themed hybrid Dark Ride/Roller coaster.

* In a Persistance of Vision article .. was Sam McKim's pencil sketches of a carousel theater shrouded in a dome of glass and steal. With a return of Carousel of Progress. DL only had it for 6 years. And imagineering at the time, wanted this attraction to return.

* Also part of Sam McKim's artwork .. was a re-routing of Peoplemover and Monorail tracks cutting through and around Tomorrowland proper.

* The only other piece of info I have is ... In the Nickel Tour Book .. is a mural that was to go over Circle-Vision with cloud cities floating in the sky.

That's all the info I have. And I'm wondering what other micechat posters might know ... and piece together a retrospective on this ill-fated plan.

What caused it to come to a hault .... was a near hostile takeover of the company, hence - Michael Eisner's arrival. The plans were shelved. And Tomorrrowland would just have to wait.

Well .. guess what? It would have to wait .. and wait .. wait .. and wait some more.

Well ... it's 2009.

A QUARTER OF A CENTURY LATER .... Do we suppose we can get a remodeled land that is worthy of the park?

But anyhow ......
    if anyone is interested in pulling more info together. It would be great.

Thank you very much!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Re: Pulling info together from TL:1984 renovation plan

- bump -
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Maybe this renovation, especially the part about a cloud city, is very interesting...(I think this plan would have gone very well.)

Timekeeper.
      sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
      Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

What they really need is a new master plan for Tomorrowland, not just piecemeal changes (Monsters Inc., Star Tours 2.0, etc.). A grand plan on the scale and style of the 1967 remodel. Not rebuilding the whole thing but just making everything fit and work together instead of just a haphazard collection of attractions thrown here and there.

Comment

- bump, again -

I got to give this a week .. and keep it closer to the top.
          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

I think within the next four or five years they should temporarily close Tomorrowland and take out buildings and add new ones. They should make it completely futuristic and innovative.

I don't think I have much info on that rennovation that was planned many, many years ago but I'll look through all my Disney books and I'll let ya know if I find anything
            sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
            Disney is my life <3
            Thank Walt for all he did! <3
            Future Imagineer <3
            Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

TL_1967, you might be amused to know that when I googled "Tomorrowland 1984 Plan" so I could find some information for you, this thread was the first result. ) I suppose that says a lot for the amount of information that's out there.

If someone else has any more information on this, I'd be very interested to hear it. I wonder if the timing means anything, only 2 years after EPCOT Center?

Comment

Bump (again)
                MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

For those with a full collection of the Persistence of Vision magazines .... If you come across a story on Sam McKim .. chances are .... you'll run across those pencil line drawings of the redressed Carousel of Progress building .. and Peoplemover and Monorail track weaving around each other throughout the middle of Tomorrowland.

It's been so long since I ran across that article .. frankly .. I don't know if I bought it. And my collection of Disneyland related periodicals is so huge ... it's lost - that's IF I bought the bloody thing.

Anyhow .... those curious .. with those magazines ... look for it.
                  Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-08-2009, 07:29 PM.
                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                    For those with a full collection of the Persistence of Vision magazines .... If you come across a story on Sam McKim .. chances are .... you'll run across those pencil line drawings of the redressed Carousel of Progress building .. and Peoplemover and Monorail track weaving around each other throughout the middle of Tomorrowland.

It's been so long since I ran across that article .. frankly .. I don't know if I bought it. And my collection of Disneyland related periodicals is so huge ... it's lost - that's IF I bought it the bloody thing.

Anyhow .... those curious .. with those magazines ... look for it.
                    You must hurry Robinsen, for there is Danger!(Humor Ref)
                    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

????
                      Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        I think the city of Shanghai, China has already beaten Disney to the punch as far as futuristic cities are concerned:

What, you again!, :loljust kidding.)

Timekeeper.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X