replied
    Re: What would YOU do as President?

Before the Park
    -Moving sidewalks as an alternative to trams.*
    -Redesigned trams.*
    -Better ticket queue.*
    -Impose a capacity limit.*
    Main Street U.S.A
    -Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln-New show with updated special effects.
    -Shops-Bring back shops that would be found in a real Main Street, and not Emporium Jr. ad nauseum.
    Adventureland
    -Update Jungle Cruise with better AA's and possibly a more serious monologue.
    -Turn the Treehouse back to the Swiss Family Robinson.
    -MAJOR refurb for Indy.
    Frontierland
    -Update the Shooting Gallery.*
    -Bring back the original TSI.
    -Lots of realistic animal AA's viewable from the Mark Twain and the Columbia
    -Better BTMRR, great as it is already.
    Critter Country
    -IMPROVE SPLASH-Bring back the bears.
    New Orleans Square
    Perfect as is!
    Fantasyland
    -Update the Matterhorn Bobsleds.
    -New mountain based on the Night on Bald Mountain Fantasia segment at the former site of the Skyway station or along the Big Thunder Trail.
    -Bring back the real Small World!
    Mickey's Toontown
    Nothing I can think of.
    Tomorrowland
    Where do I begin?
    -Astro Orbiter gone, Rocket Jets on PM platform.
    -Update BLAB
    -New PM. My plan can be found on page 12 (?) of the PM thread.
    -Better queue for SM.
    -New Inner Space where Starcade is.
    -Something new in the Carousel Theater.
    -Update Autopia.
    -Reverse scenes from the CoP and play them from the TL to MS train stations. The Grand Canyon goes in between NOS and TT and Primeval World between TT and TL.
    Asterisked ideas (*) are my parent's.
    100 posts!

Leave a comment:

• MagicWDI
    replied

I would retire. Seems to be the latest trend.

Leave a comment:

• Casey Jr
    replied

I would add a Math Maze for kids in DCA, where kids would need to solve simple math clues to determine which way to turn in the maze. Of course the Mad Hatter would be running around in the maze, purposely giving kids the wrong answers and laughing.
    that just sounds plain cruel

Leave a comment:

• 4Apples4Disney
    replied

Let's see..upgrades to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland for sure. Other than that, trying not to screw up Disneyland!

Leave a comment:

• Telpeurion
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

I would offer any cast member or Disneyland employee the opportunity to schedule a 30-minute appointment to sit down and discuss with me any Disneyland-related issue, and the meeting would be confidential and off the record. Any Disneyland employee could request this.

I would issue a moratorium on closing attractions permanently. I would reinstall the Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, Adventure thru Inner Space and PeopleMover. Other discontinued attractions would be considered for reinstallation as well and decided on a case-by-case basis.

I would have Disney films constantly running in the Fantasyland Theater whenever Fantasyland is open. I would order a new indoor attraction to replace either the Pinocchio or Snow White one, and it would be based on Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

I would order a new attraction in Tomorrowland called Project Apollo, a simulation of the July 1969 trip to the moon, with guests boarding one rocket type vehicle, complete a simulated flight, exit the vehicle onto the moon's surface, be allowed to take pictures of each other, then enter another vehicle for the return to Earth and splashdown.

I would order a new E-ticket-level attraction in Tomorrowland, based on WALL-E. The entry to it would be the building that now houses Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Tomorrowland would have a new UFO landing show every night.

I would add a new land behind Main Street, Liberty Square. Besides the Mr. Lincoln attraction in front of it, it would have the America the Beautiful movie which used to be in Tomorrowland, the Hall of Presidents, and a new walk-through mystery attraction based on the National Treasure films. Guests would walk through various scenes and observe as much as possible, then solve a mystery based on clues in the scenes. Guests who solve the mystery get a free button.

I would add a children's attraction to Adventureland based on The Jungle Book, sharing the same real estate as the Jungle Cruise. It would be walk-through and would feature live characters from the 1969 film. I would have a nightly African drum circle show in Adventureland. I would reopen the Tahitian Terrace.

I would reinstate the original shops of New Orleans Square, including the perfume shop and glassblower. I would let all the landscaping around the outside of the Haunted Mansion die, and then fireproof it.

I would break through the berm to add a new land northwest of Frontierland, and install the Western River Expedition that Marc Davis designed. I would also have a combination boat ride/track ride through simulations of U.S. national parks such as Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Everglades, Carlsbad Caverns and Hawaii Volcanoes. There would be a $5 charge for this ride but all the money would be donated to the National Park Service. I would also construct Expedition Denali in this area, basically an equivalent of Expedition Everest.

I would add a Math Maze for kids in DCA, where kids would need to solve simple math clues to determine which way to turn in the maze. Of course the Mad Hatter would be running around in the maze, purposely giving kids the wrong answers and laughing.

I would add the Land of Indigneous Peoples to DCA, with exhibits designed and operated by native tribes of the California area. Goods made by them would be sold there as well.

And that's just my first week on the job.
    I quoted everything in your post that I disagreed with as unimaginative and certainly not feasible. 30-minute interview with everyone? Sure. Try that, maybe a suggestion box. Secondly, although the People Mover may be nice to have back, and still can be reinstalled, the other 'attractions' you mention either don't have the space or the marketability to return. Thirdly, why go to a Disney park to watch Disney movies? Bedknobs and Broomsticks: The Ride? Come on, that movie is a flop, and rightly so. (Though I have soft spot for Portebello Road) People will get Step in the Right Direction mixed up with Its a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

Project Apollo would be a monument to the waste and futility that is a government run space program. I think a ride based on a private venture would be more in line with future trends. DisneySpace would be infinitely more attractive than the tired NASA models.

Wall-E? God no. Its been just over a year since its release and Wall-E is very much forgotten. Aside from those few who tried to push the film's implausible message, Pixar's so-called "best film" just isn't popular.

The Liberty Street idea sounds even more boring. Liberty Square has got to be the most boring area in Florida's Magic Kingdom, its only visitors are those passing through on the way to the Haunted Mansion or elsewhere. I personally don't find historical tributes a bore, but American exceptionalism does not inspire the new generations. Individualism and free trade are the future. (Need I add that the worst exhibit of all of Epcot's caricatured nations is the America one? How far can you get from the real thing?) These are all my opinions of course, and I am probably one of the few here who would see Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln go down the drain. Why don't they have Great Moments with Walt Disney instead? That would be killer.

I agree with the Tahitian Terrace idea, not with the Jungle Book walkthrough.

I also think killing all the vegetation at the Haunted Mansion seemingly odd, things rot you know!

Math Maze, no no no. Please no.

Indigenous Peoples' exhibits would probably conflict with your Worship the American Government idea, but then again the PC sanitized version of world history is already being told in Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, so why not?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

I would issue a memo to all cast members and employees stating:

"A. Every guest is a VIP.
    B. Every cast member and Disney employee is a VIP.
    C. The best possible outcome is a happy guest.
    D. The worst possible outcome is an unhappy guest.

What every guest takes home and remembers for a long time is how they felt at Disneyland. The emotional experience is what they remember. Never miss an opportunity to make a guest's experience a little happier. Always strive to avert or avoid a situation which would make a guest's experience unhappy. Treat all guests and other cast members as you would like to be treated."

I would spend 50% of my working hours in the park, communicating with guests and cast members, and even periodically put on the appropriate costume and do a shift at an attraction. I would spend 25% of my working hours communicating with Imagineers about the future of the park. I would spend the final 25% issuing orders based on evidence gathered during the day and communicating with my superiors in the company my actions of the day.

I would offer any cast member or Disneyland employee the opportunity to schedule a 30-minute appointment to sit down and discuss with me any Disneyland-related issue, and the meeting would be confidential and off the record. Any Disneyland employee could request this.

I would not change the prices on the food but I would attempt to improve the quality of the food offered. Specific food offerings that ranked lowest in guest surveys would be replaced with new offerings. I would attempt to improve the health and nutritional value of the food offerings and steer the park away from junk foods. I would phase out the turkey legs because it looks so stupid to see someone eating one.

I would issue a moratorium on closing attractions permanently. I would reinstall the Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, Adventure thru Inner Space and PeopleMover. Other discontinued attractions would be considered for reinstallation as well and decided on a case-by-case basis.

I would order the replacement of Videopolis with a new custom-built theater for a live show of an abridged version of Mary Poppins presented several times per day. Reserved seat tickets would be sold for $5 each, and park guests would be admitted free to any unsold seats.

I would have Disney films constantly running in the Fantasyland Theater whenever Fantasyland is open. I would order a new indoor attraction to replace either the Pinocchio or Snow White one, and it would be based on Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

I would order a new attraction in Tomorrowland called Project Apollo, a simulation of the July 1969 trip to the moon, with guests boarding one rocket type vehicle, complete a simulated flight, exit the vehicle onto the moon's surface, be allowed to take pictures of each other, then enter another vehicle for the return to Earth and splashdown.

I would order a new E-ticket-level attraction in Tomorrowland, based on WALL-E. The entry to it would be the building that now houses Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Tomorrowland would have a new UFO landing show every night.

I would order a new attraction for DCA called Tijuana Taxi, a large indoor maze with individual electric cars driven and controlled by guests, but with many dead-ends. Guests who make it through the maze in the time allotted receive a free button. Guests who are stuck in the maze at the end of the time stay in their cars, and walls that block the dead ends are lifted, then a computer system automatically moves any cars back to the loading/unloading area.

I would add a new land behind Main Street, Liberty Square. Besides the Mr. Lincoln attraction in front of it, it would have the America the Beautiful movie which used to be in Tomorrowland, the Hall of Presidents, and a new walk-through mystery attraction based on the National Treasure films. Guests would walk through various scenes and observe as much as possible, then solve a mystery based on clues in the scenes. Guests who solve the mystery get a free button.

I would add a children's attraction to Adventureland based on The Jungle Book, sharing the same real estate as the Jungle Cruise. It would be walk-through and would feature live characters from the 1969 film. I would have a nightly African drum circle show in Adventureland. I would reopen the Tahitian Terrace.

I would have a large permanent walk-through attraction dedicated to the Imagineers, with a room for each of the longest-serving ones and examples of the artwork and other contributions made by every Imagineer who has ever been employed. Location of this to be determined, but probably one of the large shops selling cheapo plush toys could be converted.

I would reinstate the original shops of New Orleans Square, including the perfume shop and glassblower. I would let all the landscaping around the outside of the Haunted Mansion die, and then fireproof it.

I would break through the berm to add a new land northwest of Frontierland, and install the Western River Expedition that Marc Davis designed. I would also have a combination boat ride/track ride through simulations of U.S. national parks such as Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Everglades, Carlsbad Caverns and Hawaii Volcanoes. There would be a $5 charge for this ride but all the money would be donated to the National Park Service. I would also construct Expedition Denali in this area, basically an equivalent of Expedition Everest.

I would build a condensed version of WESTCOT, the California equivalent to EPCOT, somewhere within the DCA footprint. I would include the best attractions from EPCOT and additional attractions and exhibits illustrating sustainable agriculture, renewable energy resources, and new concepts in residential development design.

I would add the Land of Indigneous Peoples to DCA, with exhibits designed and operated by native tribes of the California area. Goods made by them would be sold there as well.

I would install photovoltaic solar panels on the rooftops of all buildings on the property where it is feasible and start generating as much electricity for the park as possible from solar power.

And that's just my first week on the job.

Leave a comment:

• Imagineer Scott
    replied

Make some major long term plans for TLand. Nothing specific, but yea... I bet I'd be outta there before those plans are even realized though *looks around* *runs*

Leave a comment:

• ryanvalle
    started a topic [Fun] What would YOU do as President?

What would YOU do as President?

Okay, imagine this: Disneyland decides to go on MiceChat's forums to pick their next president. If they happen to pick you, no interview needed...just pick and you're it, what would you do as president?

If it were me that were chosen, I'd love to get down and dirty and do my job as a guest in the parks, in line with the guests and the CMs, seeing what they like and don't like and improve upon there, from a guest's point of view.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X