Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they still pop fireworks even when it rains?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Do they still pop fireworks even when it rains?

Hi

I'm planning on hitting DL this Wednesday and unfortunately found out it will be raining on Wednesday, the ONE freaking day out of the whole week it plans to rain, but its the only day I can go ,

Anyway, I really want to see the fireworks there but afraid if it does rain, it will be cancelled. Does anyone know if they usually just cancell fireworks on rainey days? Not sure how that works.

Also, since I got your attention lol, its suppose to be 'light showers' that day. I grew up in California, but havent lived here in ages and never here for visits when it rains lately. Does that mean just a little rain throughout the day or does it mean it mean a downpour, but just certain periods in the day? Lastly, how are the crowds on days usually like that? I'm guessing pretty light at least.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 10-10-2009, 09:08 PM.

Re: Do they still pop fireworks even when it rains?

it means a little rain

Comment

rain doesnt cancel fireworks, its wind that does. It may or may not hinder your view however..
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

Comment

LOL, thanks for the quick responses!! I know about the wind cancelling the fireworks, I just wasnt sure what they do in the rain. At Tokyo Disneyland, when it rains there, normally its cancelled (admittedly though, the rain is a little heavy) so wasnt sure. But thats good news at least .

And how about crowds? I remember anything below 15 C and L.A. calls in a state of emergency lol. Do you think with the light rains, that will hinder crowds a bit or since its only a little rain, its usually a normal day at the park? Thanks again.

Comment

Every fireworks show that I've worked on, if there was a threat of rain, we covered each mortar with a piece of foil. Finales we covered with a long strip of foil. We fired the show rain or not. I don't know how Disneyland does it though. Since theirs are launched with compressed air I would assume they have no problem shooting in the rain. But I bet they protect the tops of the mortars with foil or cellophane.

Comment

as long as they load the fireworks before it is raining then it is fine.

Comment

The rain is the exact reason I'm planning on spending all day Wednesday there. Last time it rained all day, which was in mid-December last year, total turnstile count at the park was around 4,000 guests. It's like having Disneyland to yourself. Especially because it is local season right now, very few tourists, and locals also have the flexibility to come another day.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldDisney View Post
                Hi

I'm planning on hitting DL this Wednesday and unfortunately found out it will be raining on Wednesday, the ONE freaking day out of the whole week it plans to rain, but its the only day I can go ,

Anyway, I really want to see the fireworks there but afraid if it does rain, it will be cancelled. Does anyone know if they usually just cancell fireworks on rainey days? Not sure how that works.

Also, since I got your attention lol, its suppose to be 'light showers' that day. I grew up in California, but havent lived here in ages and never when it rains. Does that mean just a little rain throughout the day or does it mean it mean a downpour, but just certain periods in the day? Lastly, how are the crowds on days usually like that? I'm guessing pretty light at least.

Thanks in advance
                The forecast is only for A 30% chance of rain, i really doubt we will see any rain at all. If we do it will probably be very minor. Wednesdays are a great day to be at the park, traditionally the slowest day of the week. No matter what the weather, have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by bayougirl89 View Post
                  The forecast is only for A 30% chance of rain, i really doubt we will see any rain at all. If we do it will probably be very minor. Wednesdays are a great day to be at the park, traditionally the slowest day of the week. No matter what the weather, have a great time!
                  There is a pretty big storm coming from the north. I'd expect rain.

Comment

Originally posted by MAH4546 View Post
                    The rain is the exact reason I'm planning on spending all day Wednesday there. Last time it rained all day, which was in mid-December last year, total turnstile count at the park was around 4,000 guests. It's like having Disneyland to yourself. Especially because it is local season right now, very few tourists, and locals also have the flexibility to come another day.
                    LOL, well if thats the case, let it pour lol!! Yeah, I think regardless, maybe just the THREAT of rain will keep many away. Unless its a storm and the freeways are shut down and Main Street is flooded, I'm pretty much going regardless at this point .

Comment

Originally posted by bayougirl89 View Post
                      Yeah, I soooo hope that is true!! It doesnt sound like it will be anything major now from what you guys told me and the forecasters, hopefully just mostly in the mornings if it happens at all, so I'm counting on that.

And dont get me wrong, a little rain for me is fine and doesnt hurt me. I been through two huge storms at Tokyo Disneyland before and nice fat downpour at Disneyland Paris. I went to Hong Kong Disneyland last year and rained pretty heavy off and on all day, but I had no problems with it other than sucky pictues. But I never been in the rain at this park because when I use to be a local here and when it rained, I simply didnt go of course. But dont mind it too much.

I guess I'm a little bothered by this is, other than the fireworks issue (which is now resolved) and the fact I simply prefer my Disney parks sunny and hot, the REAL issue is I have two friends coming from London to stay with me for a few days and they are coming to Disneyland for the first time here (first time for the ORIGINAL I mean). And I been BRAGGING to them how hot and nice L.A. has been since I been here the last week and when we go, they will be in beautiful Cali weather, what everyone in Britian envies lol. They are LEAVING London to get away from the rain lol. Now when the arrive this week, it looks like it followed them afterall .

So I am more concerned for them because I naturally want their first impression of the place to be great, but if its raining all day, shows cancelled, etc, then it wont be a great time for them obviously . And they are leaving for San Francisco the next day, so its the only day we have and ironically the rest of the week is nice and sunny, Arrrrrgggggh!!

But I have faith if it does end up raining, it wont be anything major and hopefully not all day. We'll see I guess!
                      Last edited by WorldDisney; 10-10-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Edited to remove earlier weather service prediction for next Wednesday. Right now...it looks like rain. :blush: It sounds like they are calling for most of it to have blown over by 11 AM, with showers through the afternoon, so you might still get lucky.
                        Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-11-2009, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Not to burst your bubble but according to Disneyland's official calendar on there website it doesn't show a time for fireworks which means no fireworks show. They stopped the fireworks show during the week early last month as far as I know. It doesn't show up on the calendar again until November 13th and looks like will run through Thanksgiving weekend and will more than likely stop again until some time in December for christmas breaks. I know right now Fantasmic show is only on weekends including friday nights but not during the week.
                          sigpic

Comment

Warn them now - you don't want them to be totally crushed when they get here. A little rain is nothing, if it's mild showers they will still go - it's winds both at ground level and at 300' and up that are the show killers.

. What was it, two or three years ago when the fog moved in hard at about 10:30 on New Years Eve, and they ran the show anyways. Nice color flashes through the haze...

--<< Bruce >>--
                            There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
                              Not to burst your bubble but according to Disneyland's official calendar on there website it doesn't show a time for fireworks which means no fireworks show. They stopped the fireworks show during the week early last month as far as I know.
                              They have been doing fireworks during the week ... Though not sure of the days. I'm 12 miles away and can hear them at my house. The shows have been earlier, around 8pm.
                              sigpic

Comment

Not to burst your bubble but according to Disneyland's official calendar on there website it doesn't show a time for fireworks which means no fireworks show. They stopped the fireworks show during the week early last month as far as I know. It doesn't show up on the calendar again until November 13th and looks like will run through Thanksgiving weekend and will more than likely stop again until some time in December for christmas breaks. I know right now Fantasmic show is only on weekends including friday nights but not during the week.
                                Hi Disneylandfan, I'm not sure what calendar you are looking at, but TRUST ME, I been looking at it everyday for the last 2 weeks lol and it definitely says the fireworks are on:

Calendar

In fact, since this is specifically for the Halloween season, it would look mighty bad if Disney only showed them on the weekends. I'm guessing the days the park close very early though, they may not have a choice, but as far as October 14th is concerned, they are on.....for now .

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
                                  First of all, you can almost bet the farm you won't see any rain on Wednesday. During this time of year, if they say "rain" they're probably talking about a moderate drizzle, and I really doubt you would see that on Wednesday either. So...I think you would be in good shape.

With any luck, other potential guests will hear the rain rumor and stay home, and you'll have a great day in an uncrowded park! :thumbup:

There's a CHANCE that it could rain, but I really think they're just trying to give the weather anchors something to talk about since it hasn't rained here since...um....March?

Here's the latest forecast discussion:

"On the low side" is weather service speak for "Probably ain't gonna happen."

Either way, it sounds like it will clear out by Fireworks time.
                                  Wow THANK YOU Mac Daddy, that has definitely put me at ease now . Yeah you are probably right, its probably a little more exaggerated (in terms how bad it will be for L.A.) then they are saying. And I forgot this IS L.A. lol. The only city where National Guard are called in anytime there is more than 5 cm of rain . I'm feeling more at ease now, but when you keep going to the weather page and they show that little picture of clouds and droplets next to October 14th, your heart does sink a little .

But I'm guessing now its more of a worst case scenario instead of a foregone conclusion that I was orginally assuming, now knowing the precipatation level soooo low. Thanks for the forecast update as well! Went beyound the call of duty there dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                                    Warn them now - you don't want them to be totally crushed when they get here. A little rain is nothing, if it's mild showers they will still go - it's winds both at ground level and at 300' and up that are the show killers.

What was it, two or three years ago when the fog moved in hard at about 10:30 on New Years Eve, and they ran the show anyways. Nice color flashes through the haze...

--<< Bruce >>--
                                    I sent them an email a few hours ago Bruce . I expect to hear back with lots of sobbing, cancelling their flight with a clenched fist in the air shouting, 'WHY??'

Yeah, I think they will be fine overall, but its never fun to eat your turkey leg with the rain wiping away the heavy grease on it! It just sucks only in the sense we been planning this for four months now, you check and check about the weather only to hear it RARELY rains in October anyway, get back to L.A. and every forecaster is saying that day is suppose to be a beautiful and dry day like the past 143 days only to hear YESTERDAY that it will be raining afterall lol. Whats ironic is I didnt even know it was suppose to rain until I read it in a thread here somewhere and freaked!!

But yeah, as long as the fireworks goes off, I'm a happy camper at least .

Comment

Originally posted by WorldDisney View Post
                                      Hi Disneylandfan, I'm not sure what calendar you are looking at, but TRUST ME, I been looking at it everyday for the last 2 weeks lol and it definitely says the fireworks are on:

Calendar

In fact, since this is specifically for the Halloween season, it would look mighty bad if Disney only showed them on the weekends. I'm guessing the days the park close very early though, they may not have a choice, but as far as October 14th is concerned, they are on.....for now .
                                      Looked @ same calendar as you. Excuse me for overlooking it. I by passed it with all the other show times. Usually they have it a little separated from other show times and it stands out to me so I assumed it wasn't playing during the week.

I know your trying to make it the best possible for your friends from England. Don't worry about the weather so much. Southern California doesn't get the amount of rain that Northern California does. I live 20 mins from SF and were getting the storm coming in from Japan starting Tuesday and getting the beating of heavy rains that day and showers on Wednesday. Should be cleared out by Thursday when your friends show up here. Oh and it's been cold mornings and evenings the days have been a bit nice with 65-70 typical for us this time of year. No fog though. So at least you can see around the bay. Hope your friends enjoy their visit here. I love England :yea: I was there in 2000. Need to go back!
                                      sigpic

Comment

It's down on the bottom under "Halloween Screams." It starts at 8:40 on Oct 14. They just don't use the term "Fireworks."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X