X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myka
    gunslinger
    • May 2005

Re: Can Disneyland ever lose it's "Magic"?

Yes. Three words: Monthly Payment Plan.
    "Shall there be truth between us, as two men? Not as friends, but as equals? There is an offer you will get rarely, Roland. Only equals speak the truth, that's my thought on it. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of regard. How tiresome!"
    -Walter O' Dim.

Comment

• wettham1783
      MiceChatter
      • May 2006

I was able to go 20 days in the last 12 months, and it only seemed to increase the magic. I didn't feel pressed to try and fit too much into a single day. I actually got to spend some time just sitting on a bench and absorbing the ambiance.
      Matthew

Comment

• CAspace
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2006

going too much coupled with questionable Disneyland management decisions in regards to food and pricing strategies can cause a loss of magic.
        Be careful. Stagger your visits, the last thing you want to do is to get "burned out" and these days with the poor management decisions in regards to food management and pricing decisions it is very easy to become disenfranchised.

If you stagger your visits and bring your own food then you can prevent a severe magic loss from occurring. Just expect that the park will almost always be busy and that parking will always be challenging until the new structures are built.

Just my honest opinion.

Comment

• mycroft16
          I'm not really here
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
          The magic is in you. Disneyland simply provides the environment where it can be expressed and enjoyed.
          This is something I've said many many times.

Disneyland itself is not magical. If it was, everyone would feel it the same way. But not everyone even likes Disneyland and those who do "get it" differently. The magic of Disney is inside each and everyone of us. Disneyland simply provides a place where it is "ok" by our social standards to let that inner child out to play. It's that inner child that looks at the world around you and stares in awe. It's that inner child whose imagination hasn't yet been tempered by "social learning" and is free to soar with Peter Pan and dive with Nemo. As we "grow up" we are taught that this sort of "childish" thinking is wrong and we "grow out of it." Disneyland is a place where it is socially acceptable to be a kid again. There are those who buck the social norm and let that child out all the time. Many Imagineers would fit this description. They simply see the world with the child-like wonder all the time and are capable of creating the attractions and places that allow us to feel that way.

Each one of us brings the magic to Disneyland with us when we go. It's up to us to let go and let ourselves be immersed in that feeling every time. Going often can make it seem blase, but that isn't Disneyland losing its magic, that is us getting complacent. Disneyland can be just as magical every single day, if we let it be.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• DaHatTrick
            Big Hockey Fan
            • Oct 2009

no it can never lose its magic

Comment

• Bob Weaver
              MiceChatter
              • Aug 2009

A combination of heat and crowds can ruin the experience of any place you visit. The same exact spot which would sparkle in the sunlight with cool breezes and be a place of joy could just as easily be a place of misery if it's jam-packed with people and it's 90 degrees with 80 percent humidity. If you go to Disneyland at all between Memorial Day and Labor Day, stick to the early mornings and evenings, and do something else in the afternoon such as relax at your hotel pool.

Comment

• Open_at_the_close
                MiceChatter
                • Jul 2009

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_zavala/

Comment

• Explicit
                  MiceChatter
                  • Aug 2009

I think it depends on how the park is kept up and if WDI make up attractions be it shows or rides that make guests go "wow only Disney can pull off something like that". When those are lost that "Magic" can be lost IMO.
                  DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                    Artistic integrity
                    • Mar 2009

It's already partially lost.

* Emphasis on Walt in the opera house is diminished with the Walt Disney Story passed up in favor of the DL 50th film, Disney Gallery, and the re-coming of Lincoln. Meanwhile .. over at the Carthy Circle building that will go up .. the proposed Walt Disney Story has been axed. (So right there .... Less emphasis from the man who started it all!)

* Tomorrowland. Need I say more?

* The commercializing of Disney characters in the very-carefully-themed 'it's a small world'. There was a definite sense of magic .. the way that attraction was carefully woven several decades ago. It's not the "magical" boat ride it was for me any more.

* Extremely high priced food in various restaurants .... I feel management is looking to rob it's customers anyway they can .. and put on that phony "Disney" smile.

* The shoehorning of "toon" type attractions in lands, that are ill-themed in the respective lands they go into (ie - talking fish, life size toys, and rumored comedy clubs where cartoon monsters talk to you - all in Tomorrowland)
                    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM.
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• jared_dl1209
                      WDW Spring Adv. CP 2009!!
                      • Feb 2008

Having an annual pass for 2 years and getting a new one this year, i can say I havent lost the magic. I even worked at WDW from Jan-Aug for the Disney College Program and still didnt lose really any magic. IT just depends on the person, if you like going to DL a lot and have fun everytime i cant see you losing the magic. Its almost like another hobby like sports, if you have played basketball all your life and kept playing would you get tired of it, probably not.
                      Follow Me on

Add me on

Just let me know you are from micechat

Comment

• Seawolf
                        Dive ..... Dive.....
                        • Mar 2007

I find it interesting how many of you actually believe Disneyland is impervious to losing its magic and integrity. It can and will happen with current management beliefs, Tomorrowland and DCA are prime examples of that.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

It doesn't matter how much cash they throw at a project, without imagination and creativity Disneyland is not capable of existing in its current high quality form over a long period. With each mediocre attraction they build, it will continue to degrade at a slow rate until there is either no magic remaining or it becomes just another Knotts Berry Farm. Mind you, this could take 50 to 100 years but it can happen. It's unrealistic to expect Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space, or Indy to last forever; unless they deliver new attractions on the same level as those listed, the park will continue to lose its integrity with each retirement.
                        Last edited by Seawolf; 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• dmtnt55
                          The 'Big Dreams' Kid
                          • Jul 2009

I think the Magic will be there forever, because every trip, there is always something new I experience, or notice.

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                            MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
                            "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
                            I think it requires not only the imagination of the park's Imagineers but also the imaginations of the company executives, cast members and guests as well.

Comment

• Seawolf
                              Dive ..... Dive.....
                              • Mar 2007

Absolutely, executives of the company are degrading at a rapid pace. They are the reason for cast members being paid so little and why quality standards are being lowered slowly but surely. I'm also disappointed in the public’s ability to see how the rug is slowly being removed underneath them.

It's a reflection of what's happening to our country as a whole.
                              Last edited by Seawolf; 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• bfdf55
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Explicit View Post
                                I think it depends on how the park is kept up and if WDI make up attractions be it shows or rides that make guests go "wow only Disney can pull off something like that". When those are lost that "Magic" can be lost IMO.
                                Right. When a Disney park becomes no more special than any other park, then it has essentially lost it's Disney Magic. There are other parks out there that already have equivalent "magical" elements. But they haven't reached the overall Disney level yet. Conversely, Disney has lost a lot of the "magical" elements that had once set it totally apart from anyone else. When the company deems to rely on their name to fulfill the feeling, it will eventually fade, only to be replaced by more sincere "magic" produced by others.

Comment

• Goover
                                  I eat TR's for breakfast!
                                  • Jul 2008

Perhaps.

I often walk down mainstreet not even acknowledging where I am anymore when I used to gaze at the castle and get all gittery.

Now it's just like "hello again" and I just walk to where ever.

That's not to say I like disneyland less than I did before. It's just...home.

Imagine when you get a new house. The first night you feel like you're sleeping in a hotel.

But after a few months, no matter how amazing the house is, it's just home.

Comment

• techskip
                                    I Break Things
                                    • Jun 2007

For our family having an AP really amplified the magic. It was the ability to go, spend a few hours, and leave when the kids were tired. Or getting off work, and just spending the last few hours in the park before they went to bed. It was special to us.
                                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• J_Showtime
                                      WALL�E Fanatic
                                      • Feb 2009

For me? Never. I usually go once a month and it's great every time.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                        Adventure First, Ad Last
                                        • Mar 2006

no even if you dont feel all the magic when your there if I go anywhere else it does not feel anything like Disneyland.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• TheGlassSlipper
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • May 2009

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                          no even if you dont feel all the magic when your there if I go anywhere else it does not feel anything like Disneyland.

So true, so true....

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X