X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Weaver
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2009

Re: Can Disneyland ever lose it's "Magic"?

Some non-Disney parks have some top-quality rides but no other park that I know of has the same gestalt, mood and atmosphere of Disneyland. "The park is the ride."

Comment

• mycroft16
      I'm not really here
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Usul831
      For children the magic will never fade since they are still full of imagination and not yet jaded. )
      Adults don't have to lose their imagination nor do they have to become jaded.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• CASurfer65
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
        The magic is in you. Disneyland simply provides the environment where it can be expressed and enjoyed.
        Well said.

IMO, it totally depends on the person.

I worked as an Attractions CM from '83 through '94 so it was my home away from home for years.

I never lost that sense of what Disneyland was all about.

I recently purchased an AP, and still look forward to my trips to the park. Though I live locally, I really don't go as often as many....maybe once every few months or so....but it is still very special to me.

Comment

• bfdf55
          MiceChatter
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
          no even if you dont feel all the magic when your there if I go anywhere else it does not feel anything like Disneyland.
          And, what happens when Disneyland has deteriorated to the point where it feels less "magical" than Knott's or Magic Mountain?

Comment

• Ortizmo2000
            Greetings, Program!
            • Jan 2005

Not as long as there is imagination left in the world.
            "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

• sunrider
              MiceChatter
              • May 2007

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
              And, what happens when Disneyland has deteriorated to the point where it feels less "magical" than Knott's or Magic Mountain?
              that is a good question..and one day it could be a possability maybe not in our lifetime but think about it..disneyland is one of a kind due to the fact that it was the first theme park,therefor its placed on a pedastell and set the standard that others have to match, that being said(and i love DL and DCA,)with todays changeing tastes and demographics, it could be tougher for disneyland to compete and maintain its number one position.forever doing this balanceing act between what was , what is, and what could be....purists (like my self) think they miss the mark alot nowadays,..but to a diffrent set of individuals..that havent been to the park befor or as many times as I or never grew up with disney as it used to bewill think im nuts and love buzz in tommorowland and so on..and i bet they will even love MILF...
              "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

• TheGlassSlipper
                MiceChatter
                • May 2009

Whoa, you can't compare those two places to Disneyland! That couldn't happen, ever!

Comment

• sunrider
                  MiceChatter
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
                  Whoa, you can't compare those two places to Disneyland! That couldn't happen, ever!
                  maybe not on the whole..but never say never...

Comment

• bfdf55
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post

Comment

• bfdf55
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                      that is a good question..and one day it could be a possability maybe not in our lifetime but think about it..disneyland is one of a kind due to the fact that it was the first theme park,therefor its placed on a pedastell and set the standard that others have to match, that being said(and i love DL and DCA,)with todays changeing tastes and demographics, it could be tougher for disneyland to compete and maintain its number one position.forever doing this balanceing act between what was , what is, and what could be....purists (like my self) think they miss the mark alot nowadays,..but to a diffrent set of individuals..that havent been to the park befor or as many times as I or never grew up with disney as it used to bewill think im nuts and love buzz in tommorowland and so on..and i bet they will even love MILF...
                      diluted form will find it easier to compare them to other parks that have been improving. When there is little or no difference between Disney and other parks, it will be easier for them to go elsewhere for their entertainment.

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                        MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

For the magic to continue everyone involved must fully participate, including executives of the company, Imagineers, cast members and guests. Everyone must bring imagination and the right attitude, for it to work. The first principle of "The Disney Way" is "Make Everyone's Dream Come True" and the goal of it is to foster creativity in all company employees, not just Imagineers. What can impair the magic is when one piece of the puzzle falls out or one participant lacks imagination or takes the wrong attitude, such as a guest who misbehaves, a cast member who in a stressful moment loses his/her cool, an Imagineer who loses originality, or if the company were to hire a CEO who values short-term profit over long-term goals, or a President who emphasizes marketing over a quality experience... oh, wait.

Comment

• 4Apples4Disney
                          Seeker of Fun
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                          Some non-Disney parks have some top-quality rides but no other park that I know of has the same gestalt, mood and atmosphere of Disneyland. "The park is the ride."
                          That was said very well!
                          Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

When Disney was in it’s prime, there WAS no comparison to any other park. However, in the past decade or so, the competition has been making significant inroads against Disney, actually outdoing them in some areas, like Spiderman at IOA. And, during that same period, Disney has let it’s creative quality and integrity slip. In the past, no one would EVER consider a Disney park as being “worst”. But, since DCA, they now have three that compete for that “title”.

So, while Disneyland is still ahead of Knott’s and Magic Mountain, the combination of other parks striving to become better, and Disney letting their quality slip, may well indeed result in Disney’s “magic” being superseded by that of their competition.
                            Very true -- with the exception that Disney started dropping the quality of Disneyland almost 20 years ago, not ten. The replacement of unique merchandise with generic plush, the decline in the quantity and quality of entertainment, the decline in number and quality of restaurants, the decline in maintenance, and the monumental decline in Disneyland-quality rides all began in the late 80's/early 90's -- the result of Eisner's demand for double-digit profits at any cost.

The decline of Disneyland's quality was noticeable years before the competition's improvement revved up.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                              MiceChatter
                              • Aug 2009

It's true, Disneyland stopped being original in the 1980s and never really started back up. Eisner had a huge influence in that. The Pressler years became "it's a mall world" and the brief tenure of Matt Ouimet only helped stave off the complete destruction of the Disneyland we knew. Hopefully George Karagridis will be more like Matt Ouimet than Eisner/Pressler/Harriss.

Comment

• sunrider
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2007

so i guess magical is in the eye of the beholder...whats magical for one isnt for another...but that being said..we all agree that some areas have lost their magic..or loseing it..tommorowland.. looseing it quick.. even with star tours 2.0 and the finding nemo mobile movie ride..iit needs help stat. frontierland has lost it completely...IMO

Comment

• Vasooki
                                  Vasooki-land Owner
                                  • Aug 2008

No, I don't think so.

One of the main reasons, in being a local, is its something everyone can relate to. Its not like you can walk up to someone (in Socal) and they have never heard of Disneyland. Everyone has their own unique stories, and experiences.
                                  We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X