This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Irrational park fears...

ok i was talking to a friend a couple days ago about random stuff we are are afraid that we dont think we should be, and after hearing her I was like ok im not alone. The irrational fear we both shared was the old hag in the Snow white ride actually coming alive and grabbing us. She creepy. I also shut my eyes on indy because of the snake... in fear it will get me. She close her eyes on mansion right before the bride for the rest of the ride...as do i but i feel im worse because i make people sit 3 to a doombuggy with me in the middle because im after of being on the end. We know none of its real but we cant figure why we feel that way. Can anyone explain it? Anyone else care to share if they have any?
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Re: Irrational park fears...

My friend wont go on Pirates because of the Drop.....
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Me thinks someone is taking the Park a little too seriously... :lol:

Hakuna Matata!

Comment

why dont you try watching youtube videos of the rides you guys are really scared of. it might help you prepare for the real thing.

or atleast live it vicariously

Comment

Serious irrational fears are not fun. Luckily, I haven't really had to deal with much of that in the parks, but I do have experience with them elsewhere. (I did get similar sorts of feelings as a kid, as I'm sure most of us did. I knew the abominable snowman was a robot, for instance, but I was still scared of him.) All I've got to say is...safe, methodical desensitization is your friend!

Comment

I remember wondering how they would evacuate us from the Monorail if the train broke down. Would they make us walk the track? And I remember worrying about getting on and off the Skyway, because the buckets don't really stop for long in the station, and what if I wasn't in the bucket completely when it took off? Would I have to hang on to the outside of it for the whole ride? And if we were on Adventure thru Inner Space, after we were shrunk by the Mighty Microscope, what if there was a power failure and we had to leave the ride? Would we have to live the rest of our lives as 3-inch-tall people?

Comment

im afraid of the yeti, and soarin over california. I go on them but on the matterhorn i get scared when the yeti comes out, and i hold on tight on soarin over california because im afraid im going to fall down. I used to be afraid of the haunted mansion but not no more

Comment

I have two. From when I was a kid.

ATIS -- I was absolutely conviced we were getting shrunk, as evidenced by the tiny Atomobiles in the telescope. Looking at the 50th Anniversary footage I have no idea how anyone could have believed it, but as a little kid it was absolutely convincing!

Storybook Land -- I was so afraid that Monstro was going to eat us. Even after my parents leaning me over the railing and saying, "Look, it's only a tunnel. Can't you see the opening?" There was just no convincing me.

I feel bad sometimes for people who didn't experience the park as a toddler. Some of that magic stays with you and never fully goes away.

Comment

while this is more of a rational fear, it could be seen as irrational given the safety precautions that are taken every day:

i used to LOVE heights as a little kid, and i've found that as i've grown older, i've become more afraid of them.

i get that light-headed, sweaty-palm, short-of-breath feeling when i was across the 5th floor bridge of the parking structure. and just yesterday, a friend and i decided to be random and actually go through the Swiss Family Robinson (now tarzan.. meh) Treehouse.. at the peak of its height, i felt the same as i did on top of the structure..
                  -plagued

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of the Skippers' guns on Jungle Cruise. Not the guns themselves, just the noise. Not quite sure why.

Comment

I don't like the characters that wear heads. They creep me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        And if we were on Adventure thru Inner Space, after we were shrunk by the Mighty Microscope, what if there was a power failure and we had to leave the ride? Would we have to live the rest of our lives as 3-inch-tall people?
                        This terrified me as a kid as well

Originally posted by karebear286 View Post
                        Can anyone explain it?
                        Nope, they are irrational. There is no logical or rational explanation for it. Sometimes you can just get over them, sometimes you can't. Sometimes it can take years to go away, sometimes it could be just a single time thing.

The easiest way, though it can be hard in the heat of the moment, is to keep a firm grip on your rational mind. Just remind yourself that the old hag is a steel and plastic... can't come alive. Remember that the ghosts in the haunted mansion are the same thing. This won't necessarily help at all, but it might just help calm you if you try to keep the irrational from controlling you. It worked for me over time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I was 8 years old the first (and only) time I went to DL as a kid. The older neighbor kid across the street convinced me that the Indians on Tom Sawyer Island liked to scalp little kids and there was no way I could outrun them. I was in tears when my mother suggested we go to Tom Sawyer Island. Needless to say, I didn't cross the Rivers of America until I was an adult.
                          Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

Comment

*****We know none of its real but we cant figure why we feel that way. Can anyone explain it?

Okay, I'll give it a try. I used to write novels and so I've tried to do something of the same myself.

The rides in a place like Disneyland are very carefully and very deliberately designed to be a fully immersive experience. You are completely closed off from everything else and the ride is all around you, everywhere you look, everything you hear, even what you smell and feel.

This is designed to provoke what writers call "willing suspension of disbelief". Sure, *intellectually* you know you're sitting in a little car that's being pulled through a warehouse and you're looking at robots and cardboard cutouts.

But by the time the witch suddenly appears or the pirates are aiming their guns at you, your emotions are fully engaged and have overriden your intellect - overriden it to the point where you are quite willing to believe you really are seeing witches and pirates, you really are in a haunted mansion.

Your emotions are quite willingly playing along with the game the Imagineers are playing. Therefore, the experience *feels* real to your body, so you react as if it *is* real.

This is how a book (just paper and ink) can terrify you, a movie (just flickering light) can make you weep, and a ride (just robots in a warehouse) can feel so real that it *does* become real for you.

It's all about engaging the emotions, and nobody does that better than Disney. Enjoy!
                            okerry

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                              When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of the Skippers' guns on Jungle Cruise. Not the guns themselves, just the noise. Not quite sure why.
                              You were probably more sensitive to noise as a child. My 5-year-old is the same way with the gun on Cruise. It's not the gun, it's the loud noise. He anticipates when it's coming and claps his hands over his ears tightly. I don't think it's irrational, he's just sensitive to loud noises. I think many kids are.

Comment

Originally posted by okerry View Post
                                *****We know none of its real but we cant figure why we feel that way. Can anyone explain it?
                                yes, because when I was a child I was on my Fathers shoulders when he saw the big bad wolf in the park. He walked rtight up to him and I was face to face with this scary villain. My mother told him I was scared and we walked away, but it was terrifying for me as a child...so yes, I still get these slight uneasy feelings around the chracters who where the fake heads.

Comment

We took my nephews and niece to Disneyland in 2003, and one nephew was 8, one 4 and the niece was 3. We went to the line for Pirates of the Caribbean but my 4-year-old nephew balked, he refused to go on it because he was certain that there were live pirates in it that would kidnap him. We spent about 5 minutes talking to him and telling him it was all fake, nothing bad could happen to him but he still would not get in the line. I was ready to pass on it but his mother made him get in the line, and we basically had to drag him through the queue. It was kind of embarassing. When we finally got in the building and he saw the people on the boats who were just finishing their ride, he calmed down and when we were on the first part of the ride, through the bayou, he was fine. But as soon as we went down the first drop, he got of his seat and laid down on the bottom of the boat, face down, and stayed that way for the rest of the ride. I talked to him several times, encouraging him to look up at all the stuff to see, but he wouldn't budge. His clothes were wet in the front, but he seemed OK as soon as we got outside again. I think we scarred him for life with regards to that attraction.

Comment

Up until I was about eight, I refused to ride any of the roller coasters. I knew they must be safe, because people rode them all the time and nothing bad happened, but I thought they would be scary rides and I didn't want to be scared. It's especially weird considering that I was never scared of anything else at Disneyland--not the characters, not the drops on Pirates, not the Wicked Witch on SWSA, not the HM ghosts, none of that stuff. I loved it all.

I can't remember which roller coaster was the first one my parents managed to talk me into riding, but I do remember that I had a great time and wanted to ride them all from then on. I also remember that my sister had the same problem, and I convinced her to try Big Thunder by telling her about all the animals on it.
                                    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Oh yeah, I think all have a little something in us that still believes some of the things we believed as kids. When I was 5 or 6 and got on Indy back when it first open, maybe '95 or '96, with the huge lines. I flipped out in the line when somebody pulled the pole in the collapsing roof part and with no where to go I cringed on the floor. No joke, I thought it was really coming down on us. To this day, I try to walk fast and close my ears through there. My whole family laughs at me, but hey one of these days it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                                        Up until I was about eight, I refused to ride any of the roller coasters. I knew they must be safe, because people rode them all the time and nothing bad happened, but I thought they would be scary rides and I didn't want to be scared. It's especially weird considering that I was never scared of anything else at Disneyland--not the characters, not the drops on Pirates, not the Wicked Witch on SWSA, not the HM ghosts, none of that stuff. I loved it all.

I can't remember which roller coaster was the first one my parents managed to talk me into riding, but I do remember that I had a great time and wanted to ride them all from then on. I also remember that my sister had the same problem, and I convinced her to try Big Thunder by telling her about all the animals on it.
                                        I used to be scared of roller coasters too. I would shut my eyes the entire time. ( I was forced on them, because if it was a ride the whole family was going on then the entire family was going on it regardless of fears.) One time when we were going to ride big thunder the ride broke down. I was so relieved...silliness I know. One day I opened my eyes and found out they weren't scary at all.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X