This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngsters on the Matterhorn

I don't care how tall a child is. Two years old is way to young to be going on the Matterhorn or any other thrill ride for that matter.

I'm almost 41 and sadly I am cannot ride the Matterhorn anymore. The sudden twists and turns and bumpiness wreak havoc on my back.

If this can cause my back so mich pain imagine what it can do with a young child's developing brain.

I ask you to please skip this and take him on a rode more appropriate for children his age.

Comment

My 3 year old is scared of no ride. He went on every coaster, POTC, HM, Soarin', and ToT... 4 times. Some people were amazed that he was brave enough to go on ToT. He's exactly 40 inches tall. It definitely varies by kid. I do recall the Matterhorn being a little jerky though. Something you don't notice when you don't have a little kid to hang on to, but nothing too bad. I do remember the yeti scaring me as a small child though... but not bad enough to stop me from riding it.

Comment

The Yeti would have terrified me, but he wasn't part of the ride in the early years. I also feel that the ride was a lot smoother before they attached two sleds together. The wait time seemed like it was a lot longer, though.

Both of my kids rode the bobsleds when they were 3. My older son was actually more scared of Splash Mountain because of the drop and didn't want to ride it until he was 9.

Comment

Thank you all for the great tips and thoughts.
          Jennifer
          http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
          Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

Comment

My brother's been going on since he was one and a half, and he loves it! It's a great ride for the whole family. =) They may be scared of the yeti at first, but who isn't?

Comment

We let my nephew ride it as soon as he was tall enough (just turned 3 then) and he loved it. We also started with Gadgets, which he wanted to ride over and over. He isn't tall enough yet for Space, but will ask for Matterhorn when asked what ride he wants.
              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

My son is 4 and just started going on the Matterhorn. Loves it. It's his favorite ride! He refused before now. I think it depends on the child. He also just went on Slash in Sept...and loves it, but doesn't like Pirates! Go figure! If they are scared of the dark, Matterhorn gets pretty dark in the beginning. Like everyone else says it very bumpy and not comfortable to be holding a little guy and trying to keep yourself from bumping all over the sled. I think for my son it is the perfect age. He still won't go on Space..I think it's too dark & loud for him right now. I want him to really like it so I'm taking that slow. We took him on Thunder when he was 3 and he didn't start enjoying it till this summer. His first Pirates ride was when he was 3 and still doesn't care for it. So mainly depends on your child. Sometimes you gotta take it slow and sometimes you have to try it out.
                Also, I think ht doesn't really tell you much! My hubby wanted to take him on Tower of Terror, becasue he was tall enough. I said "NO" and after my hubby's first ride on it...he realized that he needs to test rides out before deciding to take him on, size really doens't matter. My hubby was a little shakey after it!

Comment

I look all the post and I think it just comes down to what your child is like. Have him watch it. Ask if he wants to ride. If you are worried about Matterhorn go on B side (FL side) is less jerky. The actual best place to sit on Gadget if you dont want to be whipped around is much is towards the front, if he afraid of the exact front try row 2 or 3.But like I said have him watch, the attraction CMs are more than willing to let him see and know, what is happening before he gets on. It all a matter on what you feel comfortible with. I myself was a scaredy cat and didnt ride a mountain until I was 10.
                  Last edited by karebear286; 10-13-2009, 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
                  "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                    I don't care how tall a child is. Two years old is way to young to be going on the Matterhorn or any other thrill ride for that matter.
                    DLR doesn't care how old you are. They only want you to meet height requirements for safety reasons. If taking a toddler on Matterhorn was emtionally unsuitable for ANY kid, do you seriously think Disney would allow it?!

I'm almost 41 and sadly I am cannot ride the Matterhorn anymore. The sudden twists and turns and bumpiness wreak havoc on my back.
                    If this can cause my back so mich pain imagine what it can do with a young child's developing brain.
                    Um... I think you are thinking of infants. Yeah, shaking babies is really harmful. Don't do it. But toddlers can be jostled around in a Disney amusement ride. There is a difference.

I ask you to please skip this and take him on a rode more appropriate for children his age.
                    That's a weird thing to ask a stranger.

But to answer the OP >>> I took my son on at 2 1/2. It was evening (not completely dark) and he just held on tight! No crying. No fussing. He was cool with it. * I should mention that my son has severe autism, so subjective fears (Yetis) have no influence on him. The only thing that freaks him out is the zipping and zooming, but as soon as his white knuckles return to pink, he is all smiles and giggles from the sweet adrenaline rush!

My advice would be to not make a big fussy deal about it. Kids get more spazzed by what adults tell them. If you treat it like it's just another fun ride (which it is), then your kid should have nothing to be afraid of. Also, some positive reinforcement when the ride is over would also work in your favor..... Tell him what a "great job he did, handling a ride even some old people are afraid of!"
                    No kid can resist that!!!
                    Last edited by leopardchucks; 10-14-2009, 12:06 AM. Reason: more!
                    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

I didn't ride the Matterhorn until I as 10-ish. The Yetti scared the crap out of me, still kinda does actually.

For a two year old? I would wait a little bit. At least 5.

Comment

Originally posted by d1mex View Post
                        I didn't ride the Matterhorn until I as 10-ish. The Yetti scared the crap out of me, still kinda does actually.

For a two year old? I would wait a little bit. At least 5.
                        First off..I only quoted you Mex, since you were the 'closest'.

But it seems a lot of people have posted that the Yeti scared them. Why?
                        Were you afraid of other AAs? Or maybe this one was scary 'cause you didn't expect it? I don't ever recall being afraid of any ride except the waterfalls in POTC....which I would stiffly sit through (fair trade in my eyes) to see the the cool stuff. Is it a trust issue? Did you not trust the environment? I'm just curious.
                        For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                        http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
                          DLR doesn't care how old you are. They only want you to meet height requirements for safety reasons. If taking a toddler on Matterhorn was emtionally unsuitable for ANY kid, do you seriously think Disney would allow it?!

Um... I think you are thinking of infants. Yeah, shaking babies is really harmful. Don't do it. But toddlers can be jostled around in a Disney amusement ride. There is a difference.

That's a weird thing to ask a stranger.

But to answer the OP >>> I took my son on at 2 1/2. It was evening (not completely dark) and he just held on tight! No crying. No fussing. He was cool with it. * I should mention that my son has severe autism, so subjective fears (Yetis) have no influence on him. The only thing that freaks him out is the zipping and zooming, but as soon as his white knuckles return to pink, he is all smiles and giggles from the sweet adrenaline rush!

My advice would be to not make a big fussy deal about it. Kids get more spazzed by what adults tell them. If you treat it like it's just another fun ride (which it is), then your kid should have nothing to be afraid of. Also, some positive reinforcement when the ride is over would also work in your favor..... Tell him what a "great job he did, handling a ride even some old people are afraid of!"
                          No kid can resist that!!!

WOW... I loved your advise! Thats exactly how I would treat my son! Always use positive reinforcement. Caden likes to think that he is a big boy and he is just that. He will tell me if he doesn't like something. If he doesn't want to go on it, we don't have to.
                          Jennifer
                          Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

Comment

Were you afraid of other AAs? Or maybe this one was scary 'cause you didn't expect it? I don't ever recall being afraid of any ride except the waterfalls in POTC....which I would stiffly sit through (fair trade in my eyes) to see the the cool stuff. Is it a trust issue? Did you not trust the environment? I'm just curious.
                            SO TRUE! I thought that my son would be scard of Murphy the first time that he saw him, and to my suprise he loved him. When we go to DL, he always asks me for "Dagan". I don't think that the Yeti would scare him, I think that it would be the fastness of the ride.
                            Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by Cadensmama07 View Post
                              SO TRUE! I thought that my son would be scard of Murphy the first time that he saw him, and to my suprise he loved him. When we go to DL, he always asks me for "Dagan". I don't think that the Yeti would scare him, I think that it would be the fastness of the ride.
                              We talked about Harold (the Yeti) before the ride. We explain Harold loved saying Hi to everyone as they rode by. We described Harold so R would understand. He loved it and waved to Harold as we zoomed by. No fear at all.
                              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                                We talked about Harold (the Yeti) before the ride. We explain Harold loved saying Hi to everyone as they rode by. We described Harold so R would understand. He loved it and waved to Harold as we zoomed by. No fear at all.
                                Thats perfect. I never knew that The yeti had a name (i should have known better, the GG ghost as a name). I think that I will do that when I take him on. GREAT TIP!
                                Jennifer

Comment

Great question...My daughter will be 2 by our next trip, and she is just tall enough to go on those coasters. I already know she'll love the Gadget coaster--she's a total thrill seeker! Movement/heights/speed don't bother her a bit (the faster and higher, the better), but she does get a little freaked out w/ creepy atmosphere. I'm just gonna wait and see how she does on the dark rides first. If those make her too nervous, we'll skip the Matterhorn this time.

Like some previous posters have stated, it depends on the child. My son was the same way. When he was smaller he was really scared of Astroblasters and Snow White's Scary Adventures, but loved the Astro Orbitor and other fast rides.

Comment

My son, The Babito rode both Gadget's Go-Coaster and the Matterhorn as soon as he was 35 inches and loved them both. Now, the Matterhorn always has to be our first ride of the day.

Comment

I wasn't afraid of other AA's, just Yetti. I think because he was the most scary, menacing looking one. Other AA's don't look like they want to hurt you as you go by. A big, red eyed abominable snowman is alot scarier than Indy or Pirates to me. When I was young I guess I was just scared of that stuff still. Now im fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadensmama07 View Post
                                        My 2 year old brother does this, too! he always says, "Murphy! Murphy!" or "Mickey dragon! Mickey dragon!"

Comment

My Dad says that the first time I went on Matterhorn, I got so freaked out that I slid out from the seatbelt and tried to get out during the ride. Luckily, he was holding on to me too. He said I really scared him. But it was clear, I was not ready for the ride. I think it is a case by case thing. Only you know what your child is ready for. I think it is also important that he be the one asking to go on it, rather than someone pressuring him to go on the ride.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X