• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied
    Re: Youngsters on the Matterhorn

ok so i remember the first time we took my little brother to disneyland

he was a very tall lad so he wasn't even questioned of his height

anyways, when he was four, we took him on everything. space, matterhorn, screamin', indy, yeah basically all except splash cause it was late november.

the next time, he was 7, and refused to go on everything! ok well not everything just most of the big rides, so me and my mom went on space, screamin, and ToT (it wasn't there last time) and my brother and my dad went on BLAB at least 10 times, and that was just during the magic morning hour!

now thanks to youtube, i convinced my now 11 year old brother to go on everything! so we'll see what happens next week

then i have my own story but it's not as interesting. scared of like six flags status rollercoaster until i went on one in discovery kingdom and now i love rollercoasters, but i haven't been to six flags magic mountain

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

My grand girl is 8 now and loves the Matterhorn. BUT, she was around 3 the first time we took her on it and it terrified her when the Yeti roared and then showed up. It took her until last year to get over it and try to ride again. She was always, ' No Yeti! No Yeti!' Now she loves it and Big Thunder. Not up to Screamin' yet!

Leave a comment:

• Cadensmama07
    replied

SO I finally took Caden on the MAtterhorn... sorry that it took so long to do so. I didn't want to take him at night.. But, we went and he was fine all thru the line but once we got to the bobsled (on the fantasyland side)... he got scared. I got him in and settled and he was very scared. But I got him on and he held on to me the whole time.

But when we got off he he said was AGAIN AGAIN... and GREAT JOB CADEN... He was very happy with himself and I am so happy for him. Such a big boy I have.. I will try to take him on that again in a few months or so... we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• Niele
    replied

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
    My son cried after the first time on a roller coaster (Space).
    I asked him if it was too scarry.
    "No" he cried, it wasn't long enough..!
    so funny, thanks for the giggle!!! ) My grandson said the same thing his first time on SM.

Leave a comment:

• ChessurInWonderland
    replied

I think they understand. After my little brother had been on Matterhorn the first time, when he was a little less than two, he got home and saw my Abominable Snowman collectible figure. He said, "It's the snowman! It's the snowman!" (When we first got off the ride, he said, "I liked the rawrasaur!", which is what he says about any monster-like thing, so we told him it was an abominable snowman.) and then he made a roaring noise while he played with it. I still haven't gotten it back, and he also took a Disneyland souvenir book with Matterhorn pictures, and he always gives it to me and tells me to open it up to the "bobsled" page so he can see the "scary snowman". I find it hilarious

Leave a comment:

• leopardchucks
    replied

^^^Darn! Next time! I'm sure he'll love it. He sounds like a daredevil! The 11th? I'll be there exactly one week later for my b-day! Yeah!!! I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• Cadensmama07
    replied

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
    Soooo? Where's Caden's first-matterhorn-ride Trip Report?! Enquiring minds want to know! Did he love it or what?!
    I went over there on Thursday but only the Tomorrowland side was open. and the line was REALLY LONG. So I decided to wait till his birthday on 11.11.09 to take him on it. We will be in the park all day.

Leave a comment:

• leopardchucks
    replied

Originally posted by Cadensmama07 View Post
    THAT IS TOTALLY THE PLAN!!! We might be going tonight. We are going to the trick or Treat at DCA... but since they extended Park hours til Midnight at DL, i think we are going to try it out.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
    Soooo? Where's Caden's first-matterhorn-ride Trip Report?! Enquiring minds want to know! Did he love it or what?!

Leave a comment:

• CMHusband
    replied

I was scared to ride the Matterhorn until I was around 12 or so...Prehaps I was a ninny? I don't think at 2 they get it, they probably feel the rush but have no idea what just happened.

Leave a comment:

• Cadensmama07
    replied

Originally posted by aznshrek88 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this; but if you do decide on taking him; try to fantasyland side 1st (the slow side). I hope I was some help =D

THAT IS TOTALLY THE PLAN!!! We might be going tonight. We are going to the trick or Treat at DCA... but since they extended Park hours til Midnight at DL, i think we are going to try it out.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• aznshrek88
    replied

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this; but if you do decide on taking him; try to fantasyland side 1st (the slow side). I hope I was some help =D

Leave a comment:

• Cadensmama07
    replied

Originally posted by scrappydawg View Post
    My son, The Babito rode both Gadget's Go-Coaster and the Matterhorn as soon as he was 35 inches and loved them both. Now, the Matterhorn always has to be our first ride of the day.
    AWESOME!!! Caden is such a big boy that I don't think that he would be to scared. He loves to be thrown around by his dad.

Leave a comment:

• squidmo
    replied

I took each of my sons on the Matterhorn when they were 2 1/2. Both loved it, and the younger one spent his entire first ride laughing. Personally, I felt totally secure with him belted in and one arm around him- I was even comfortable enough to use my other hand to catch it on video. At that age neither of my boys was scared of the Yeti at all- the older one became somewhat scared of the Yeti at around 4, but still enjoys the ride.

Leave a comment:

• snorkeld
    replied

My daughter is 3 and loves it but closes her eyes when passing harold. She loves it and asks to go on it all the time. She is actually more frightened of snow whites....she does not like the Queen. Funny thing when we were recently in england she wanted nothing to do with the Queen, we shortly figured out why.

Leave a comment:

• Gandalf75
    replied

My Dad says that the first time I went on Matterhorn, I got so freaked out that I slid out from the seatbelt and tried to get out during the ride. Luckily, he was holding on to me too. He said I really scared him. But it was clear, I was not ready for the ride. I think it is a case by case thing. Only you know what your child is ready for. I think it is also important that he be the one asking to go on it, rather than someone pressuring him to go on the ride.

Leave a comment:

• ChessurInWonderland
    replied

Originally posted by Cadensmama07 View Post
    SO TRUE! I thought that my son would be scard of Murphy the first time that he saw him, and to my suprise he loved him. When we go to DL, he always asks me for "Dagan". I don't think that the Yeti would scare him, I think that it would be the fastness of the ride.
    My 2 year old brother does this, too! he always says, "Murphy! Murphy!" or "Mickey dragon! Mickey dragon!"

Leave a comment:

• d1mex
    replied

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
    First off..I only quoted you Mex, since you were the 'closest'.

But it seems a lot of people have posted that the Yeti scared them. Why?
    Were you afraid of other AAs? Or maybe this one was scary 'cause you didn't expect it? I don't ever recall being afraid of any ride except the waterfalls in POTC....which I would stiffly sit through (fair trade in my eyes) to see the the cool stuff. Is it a trust issue? Did you not trust the environment? I'm just curious.
    I wasn't afraid of other AA's, just Yetti. I think because he was the most scary, menacing looking one. Other AA's don't look like they want to hurt you as you go by. A big, red eyed abominable snowman is alot scarier than Indy or Pirates to me. When I was young I guess I was just scared of that stuff still. Now im fine with it.

Leave a comment:

• scrappydawg
    replied

My son, The Babito rode both Gadget's Go-Coaster and the Matterhorn as soon as he was 35 inches and loved them both. Now, the Matterhorn always has to be our first ride of the day.

Leave a comment:

• SpcMtn77
    replied

Great question...My daughter will be 2 by our next trip, and she is just tall enough to go on those coasters. I already know she'll love the Gadget coaster--she's a total thrill seeker! Movement/heights/speed don't bother her a bit (the faster and higher, the better), but she does get a little freaked out w/ creepy atmosphere. I'm just gonna wait and see how she does on the dark rides first. If those make her too nervous, we'll skip the Matterhorn this time.

Like some previous posters have stated, it depends on the child. My son was the same way. When he was smaller he was really scared of Astroblasters and Snow White's Scary Adventures, but loved the Astro Orbitor and other fast rides.

Leave a comment:

• Cadensmama07
    replied

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
    We talked about Harold (the Yeti) before the ride. We explain Harold loved saying Hi to everyone as they rode by. We described Harold so R would understand. He loved it and waved to Harold as we zoomed by. No fear at all.
    Thats perfect. I never knew that The yeti had a name (i should have known better, the GG ghost as a name). I think that I will do that when I take him on. GREAT TIP!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X