Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Disneyland Resort President Named(Merged Threads)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disneylands new president is named.

I'm very concerned. He's the former COO of DLRP, and those parks are kinda infamous for being terribly maintained. They also have some really bad ideas for entertainment, not to mention some of the worst Halloween decorations ever (no, really, imagine Mainstreet covered in giant orange paint splatters). I realize that he probably can't be blamed for all the bad decisions at that resort, but it's not a comforting thought if he was even marginally involved. Then there's the fact that he was only involved with DLR during the Pressler years... I'm also getting the sense that he was VP for Epcot when Test Track and and the Imagination wreck were made, as well as Horizons closing. So yeah, I'm very concerned.
    Formerly kaliwolf.

Comment

Originally posted by kaliwolf View Post
      I'm very concerned. He's the former COO of DLRP, and those parks are kinda infamous for being terribly maintained. They also have some really bad ideas for entertainment, not to mention some of the worst Halloween decorations ever (no, really, imagine Mainstreet covered in giant orange paint splatters). I realize that he probably can't be blamed for all the bad decisions at that resort, but it's not a comforting thought if he was even marginally involved. Then there's the fact that he was only involved with DLR during the Pressler years... I'm also getting the sense that he was VP for Epcot when Test Track and and the Imagination wreck were made, as well as Horizons closing. So yeah, I'm very concerned.
      you are right on the money. Thats why I said this guy sounds like trouble.

Comment

Lets just hope he doesn't do anything in his 3 years. It would be great if he were to just keep things going how they are or one could wish that he improves a bit. Hopefully he only lasts 3 years that is...

Comment

Re: Disneyland's new president is named

He may have followed the Pressler/Harris ideals, but they did not have John Lasseter over their shoulder with a veto power on attractions. As for DCA, we've seen what John can get approved.
          Check out my flickr photos!

Comment

And in true MC fashion, people are judging before any kind of result or action. Give the guy a chance.

Comment

I'm really not seeing John Lasseter as the savior of Disneyland. Of course, that may be because I don't see wedging Pixar tie-ins in everywhere as a bonus.

As for the new guy, I'll wait and see. For a while, anyway :-)

Comment

I'm disappointed, but I can't say I am surprised. The role of DLR President has been a revolving door and a resume notch builder for a while now.
                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Every picture needs a caption...

"Hello. And welcome to the magical kingdom we call... Disneyland."

"Tom Sawyer Island? Um.. straight ahead, just past that big boat
                  thingie with the paddle wheel gizmo on the back."

"Step into my office."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_Lee View Post
                    He may have followed the Pressler/Harris ideals, but they did not have John Lasseter over their shoulder with a veto power on attractions. As for DCA, we've seen what John can get approved.
                    Is this the same John Lasseter who thinks the crappy monsters inc. video thing at MK and the neutered Submarine Voyage are excellent disney attractions? The same one who promotes sequel after sequel of direct to video tinker bell videos? and seems to be pushing a cartoon only slate of attractions?

I am still waiting for those "great rides that are so good you will want to go on them again and again" and no sorry Toy story midway mania doesn't cut it.

However I understand change takes time so I am waiting patiently to see the state of the parks in 2012 but seriously will we ever see a ride based on an original idea again or at least something other than the latest animated film? Will Disney ever do something bold and innovative again like an Epcot center, like the monorail system, Tomorrowland 67, etc. or are those days LOOOONG gone for Disney? Will maintenance and quality standards come back to the pre-eisner days? Will land/ride/park specific merchandise ever return or are we just going to have to live with homogenized rasolu "disney parks" walmart style merchandise? so many questions...

Comment

Originally posted by kaliwolf View Post
                      I'm also getting the sense that he was VP for Epcot when . . . the Imagination wreck w[as] made, as well as Horizons closing.
                      If this is true, :mob:.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                        ...will we ever see a ride based on an original idea again or at least something other than the latest animated film? Will Disney ever do something bold and innovative again like an Epcot center, like the monorail system, Tomorrowland 67, etc. or are those days LOOOONG gone for Disney? Will maintenance and quality standards come back to the pre-eisner days? Will land/ride/park specific merchandise ever return or are we just going to have to live with homogenized rasolu "disney parks" walmart style merchandise?
                        Is this a trick question?

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                          Al will have an update on this tomorrow. But I'm really not concerned about this new President yet. He may have managed both Disneyland Paris and been involved with the running of DCA, but he designed neither of those parks.

Let's face it, the man survived Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler - at the very least, he has thick skin, which he'll need to survive the barbs and arrows at Team Disney Anaheim.

Let's see what Al has to say tomorrow, but I'm hearing more good than bad about this new choice for Disneyland President.
                          I with Dusty on this one...before ripping someone head off.
                          Let see what AL can dig up on this guy Tomorrow, it's only one day away!
                          I like to be fair with others ..... before we take him out to back and *%#)^%*# lol
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Wow, could they have picked a wronger person for the job? It has been posted that he didn't design DCA, your right, but he was one of the folks that signed off on it. He was senior vice president for operations and played a significant role.
                            Then he was off to Paris where his was on the planning committee for building that park. Anyone need a hotel room? they have plenty.
                            Ooops, wait, I missed something in between. He was also heavily responsible for the millenium celebration at WDW. You remember, that's when they put up the hand/wand, Put the hat in the center of MGM and had that wonderful idea to put tombstone looking markers at EPCOT.
                            Well my take is that this guy has some serious flaws listed on his resume' OR he is a simpleton follower who will not step on anyone's toes by going along with whatever the higher-ups want. I just hope Lassiter is standing over him with a sledgehammer when Weiss starts to make phone calls.
                            Just my two cents worth.
                            Have a wonderful day :O

Comment

re: New Disneyland Resort President Named(Merged Threads)

From his interview, here's the 2nd question, and his answer:

Q. How much time do you plan to spend in the resort?
                              A. I suggest that if you spoke to cast members or guests that I have worked with … (you’ll find) I’m in the parks and hotels more than I’m not. I’m a visible person. I very much believe in, that’s how you operate best - if you are in the park and in the environment and understand what is important to cast members and your guests. My goal is to be very visible. And in my time with the company, that’s always proven to be something that’s doable.
                              We will soon find out just how visible he will be!
                              hmm gotta wonder if his people have been checking out comments about Ed Grier on these pages!
                              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                hmm gotta wonder if his people have been checking out comments about Ed Grier on these pages!
                                Sometimes I wonder how much "influence" if any these boards have on various project changes. If he was smart he would compare Matt's performance to Ed's. He would note what Matt did well (in the park many times just to look, listen and learn). Then he would look at what Ed did well (lots of behind the scenes negotiation to keep the parks running smooth). And hopefully he will come up with a "public image" that delivers both of their strengths. He has some very good people directly under him. It really is a wait and see at this point.

As far as the boards, I wouldn't be surprised if some in his PR department were snooping about to see what the hardcore fans thought. In honesty we are on the "fringe" of public opinion. Catering to us, while a nice thought, really doesn't make a lot of sense because we are a fraction of the overall public. Aside from that I see his answer as little more then a coached campaign promise. I have no doubt that the other candidates saw Ed's lack of appearance and stated similar interview answers.
                                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Notice how he didn't really answer the question... so he'd make an excellent CEO or politician.

Comment

It may be real difficult to tell much about this new president, as the big project for the next few years are already in motion, and by the time his 3 years are done. Although, if DL doesn't get a new REAL parade next year for it's 55th Birthday, I'll be calling for his resignation.
                                    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Like others, I'm seriously concerned but I'll wait for Al to dish the dirt for me before I panic.
                                      sigpic
                                      I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

This tweet from Dateline Disneyland:

New Disneyland President says familiarity w/ employees is "priority No. 1," aims "to be very visible" with Cast & guests
                                        Q and A with new Disneyland Resort president - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

The second coming of Ouiment? Too early to tell, but this is promising...

Comment

lets wait and see what he does

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X