This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where's your line in the sand?

remember indy was once sponserd by AT&T.and FED EX was the sponser of space mt....my line in the sand was almost there with the bringing back of CAPT EO. everyone loves the parks,and every one has their own opinions on what the park means to them,now like all others...if they make a change and i complain..thats my opinion,but it wouldnt stop me from enjoying the parks, it would however make me not go in that particular spot..still go to tomorowland and avoild the magic eye...(ive lived with out seeing hista for a while now ...)how much is to much? i beleave is all in how you feel at that moment in time
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

:lol::bow::lmao::roll:
      Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
      : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

For me, there didn't used to be any line in the sand. Just the fact that there is one for anyone shows that Disney is slipping.

As it stands now, they've already crossed a few lines in recent years. Yes, I have correspondingly lowered my expectations and returned, but not as often. I still enjoy those special elements that hold true (DL Castle Walk-thru, Peter Pan, Casey Jr./Storybook, etc.). But the total effect is the diluted enjoyment of the overall Disneyland experience.

However, if the line keeps being crossed, it will eventually get to the point where the line of other parks or entertainment options becomes higher than Disney's, resulting in their possibly getting most, if not all, of my attention.

Comment

All I have to say to that image is... :crybye:

Comment

Originally posted by pin_up_pixie View Post
            My line in the sand is people who claim to be Disney fans, and then talk about how much they hate what Disney is doing.

People who claim to love Disney, and Disneyland, and then bad mouth everything that's changed.

I love Disneyland. I understand that changes will always happen. I might not like them all, but with the exception of the horrifying WalMart idea, none of them will stop me from going. And even then, if it's well themed, I'll just smile and walk past it.

No matter if its Welch's, Kodak, Coke, McDonalds, or Starbucks... as long as the theming is good, I'm ok with it.

I <3 Disneyland.
            So, in your view, only sycophants and yes-men can accurately state that they love Disney and Disneyland, and any dissenting viewpoint is to be questioned, denounced, derided, and scorned.

An interesting perspective.
            Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM. Reason: Political comment. Debate Lounge Only, Please.

Comment

Mod Note:

Folks, please be very careful when you are discussing your viewpoint, that you do not insult, demean, or attack other members in the thread.

You may disagree with their point of view, you can explain why, but you cannot attack or put them down in that process. And, no, smilies do not make everything just fine, when added to the end of a hostile statement.

A refresher: The topic of this thread is,
              What would it take? How many declines by degrees is too many? At what point would you be forced to say, as Ex Candy Maker did in another post, that it's just not what it was? I don't mean what will cause you to stop going entirely or sell your stock, but just to say, "DL? Meh. There are better things to do w/ my time.
              Thanks for your help.
              "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
              raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Hey, what would be so bad about a Wal Mart Emporium? Maybe for once, we could get a good rollback on a Eeyore plush for $9.96 instead of $39.99. Heck, they're all made by the same impoverished six year olds across the Pacific.
                I can't really draw a line, I guess. All the things that "shouldn't" have happened to the park didn't keep us away, so I can only imagine what else they can do, apart from turning the whole park into a Pirate tie-in, and still keep us paying.
                Also, I think Walt's sponsored shops and attractions were necessary then because of funding necessity for the park. Does Disney now REALLY need another corporation to chip in to keep the doors open? Absolutely not.
                Hey, too bad for McD's, their coffee is supposedly better than Starbucks'. We could have had premium roast with our fries!
                I also remember around 2000 hearing rumors while working there that the costumes were all going to be standardized into khakis and polo shirts (Pirates, Mansion, etc included). Thank heaven that hasn't happened--------
                yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JAG107 View Post
                  Hey, what would be so bad about a Wal Mart Emporium? Maybe for once, we could get a good rollback on a Eeyore plush for $9.96 instead of $39.99. Heck, they're all made by the same impoverished six year olds across the Pacific.
                  I can't really draw a line, I guess. All the things that "shouldn't" have happened to the park didn't keep us away, so I can only imagine what else they can do, apart from turning the whole park into a Pirate tie-in, and still keep us paying.
                  Also, I think Walt's sponsored shops and attractions were necessary then because of funding necessity for the park. Does Disney now REALLY need another corporation to chip in to keep the doors open? Absolutely not.
                  Hey, too bad for McD's, their coffee is supposedly better than Starbucks'. We could have had premium roast with our fries!
                  I also remember around 2000 hearing rumors while working there that the costumes were all going to be standardized into khakis and polo shirts (Pirates, Mansion, etc included). Thank heaven that hasn't happened--------
                  yet.
                  Lol, Disney just might need those sponserships to keep giving us leading edge technology. What your saying is Disney should turn down free cash because they can do it themselves. Thats just not how business works, and they will continue with the sponserships as they always have, and always will.

Comment

Maybe that Wal-Mart killed Main Street America? If they really wanted it to be accurate to present-day America, all the shops on Main Street would be boarded up and there would be a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the hub.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                      Lol, Disney just might need those sponserships to keep giving us leading edge technology. What your saying is Disney should turn down free cash because they can do it themselves. Thats just not how business works, and they will continue with the sponserships as they always have, and always will.

What, like Innoventions?
                      How is brand name coffee going to help develop new attractions?
                      What I'm saying is Disney should now turn down the "free cash" because they don't need it to make loads of revenue for the stockholders (which, isn't the NYSE what Disney's all about now anyway?). Walt Disney built a berm around the Park to keep OUT the outside world, not bring in select exclusive marketing partnerships to maximize profits, right? Where's the illusion in Frontierland with a shack loudly displaying the golden arches? I understand the Tomorrowland stuff like Monsanto, and Innoventions even, but where was Starbucks at the turn of the century Main Street? Carnation and Pepsi Cola maybe, but for Disneyland, I think they've lost touch with the drive to keep the illusion. Epcot and DCA, sure. DCA could use the brand name recognition more than DL anyway!

Comment

Maybe that Wal-Mart killed Main Street America? If they really wanted it to be accurate to present-day America, all the shops on Main Street would be boarded up and there would be a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the hub.
                        I also think that the jungles of Adventureland should be leveled for cattle raising purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          What would it take for me?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe something like...

Turning the Submarine Voyage into a cartoon video sequel. 99 cents to add two slices of tomato to an overpriced, inedible hamburger. Ripping out the Skyway. Replacing Disneyland's unique merchandise with generic crap. Innoventions. Making a merch location out of the Main Street Bank. Toons in Small World. $3 to get your name embroidered on your Mickey Mouse ears. Closing the PeopleMover. Turning the Swiss Family Treehouse into a Disney Store display for Tarzan. Depp of the Caribbean. Mall-style color palette on Main Street buildings. Monorail windows. Parking from hell. Winnie the Pooh. Senior Imagineers who call Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage "our major E-Ticket." Turning Disneyland into a mosh pit of uncontrolled APs and promotions. Fifteen years of lowering the quality of food. Letting Fort Wilderness rot. Trashing Tomorrowland. Turning the Courtyard of Angels into a merch location.

Starbucks on Main Street.

I don't like any of those things above, except I don't mind Starbucks coffee being served in Disneyland as long as a Starbucks themed shop doesn't open in any of the parks.

Also, the way Depp was integrated, I don't think he takes anything away from the show, but that's another argument for another thread in a galaxy far far away.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                            Also, the way Depp was integrated, I don't think he takes anything away from the show, but that's another argument for another thread in a galaxy far far away.
                            While I don't really have any argument with the integration of Capt. Jack Sparrow into the attraction, I would have preferred that they had taken advantage of the set up in the film, which they totally ignored: In the jail scene where the prisoners are trying to entice the dog with the keys, in the movie, the next cell over, Jack says "You'll never get that dog to give you the keys" (or something to that effect). They SHOULD have had Jack in the next cell in the attraction giving that line. THEY BLEW IT!

Also, they put Jack in the barrel and took out the cute girl (that I loved). Really pissed me off there.

Comment

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post

Also, they put Jack in the barrel and took out the cute girl (that I loved). Really pissed me off there.
                              Heads up: That girl was long gone before Jack showed up.
                              Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

Comment

And one that has already been beaten to death a few too many times... :lol:

Comment

Nah, that horse is only just getting tender!

Comment

...Oh, and the line in the sand thing. I don't think I have one or at least I don't know what it is. I hope I never find out.

Maybe if they add TVs to the Big Thunder cue.
                                    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

Comment

Also, the way Depp was integrated, I don't think he takes anything away from the show...
                                      IMO the Depp "integration" is a hamhanded, in-your-face, blatant promotion of Bruckheimer's Pirates franchise -- the characters, the music score, the whole commercial schmeer -- and it ruined POTC for me.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

This image expressly demonstrates just how generic the merchandise at Disneyland has become. Sadly the only thing "Disneyland" about most current offerings are the clothes tags and price tags. Most items are so generic as to be found on any Target or WalMart shelf in the SoCal area. In fact several "local" WalMarts openly advertise large Disney areas within their stores. These areas often have similar Disney merchandise for a fraction of the price. Gone are the days when a souvenir found inside the berm was a unique item found only inside the berm. If Walmart were to take over Emporium the only change would be the name itself. From the boxes backstage stating "made in China" to the storefront displays of generic coffee mugs, tshirts and plush... most Guests wouldn't notice a difference except possibly cheaper prices.
                                        Last edited by techskip; 10-18-2009, 07:54 PM.
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

If there was an affordable manufacturing base that could make unique and high quality merchandise I'm sure DLR would use it. Unfortunately that doesn't exist and nearly ALL "stuff" is made in the same generic overseas factories. Again DLR is just reflecting the times...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X