Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happen in an emergency at Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What would happen in an emergency at Disneyland?

It always puzzles me how they would evacuate people off a ride there was fire. People are locked in restraints, there is a full queue of people inside the building, people are panicking, cast members are panicking, what would happen?

Also, has there been an occurrence of a major emergency at the parks?

Re: What would happen in an emergency at Disneyland?

Well my friend Whilly, I gues we will never know for sure until it happens.

Comment

I don't know too much in the way of specifics, and obviously it's hard to predict how things will actually happen in reality, but things are built to rigorous fire codes in the parks, I'm sure. Every attraction has numerous emergency exits.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
        I don't know too much in the way of specifics, and obviously it's hard to predict how things will actually happen in reality, but things are built to rigorous fire codes in the parks, I'm sure. Every attraction has numerous emergency exits.
        Do you know if restraints can be automatically released at a station? I'm sorry I'm so curious about this stuff :P

Comment

Chaos and mayhem.

:-)

Really, there have been quakes and other things that have shut down some or all of the park for a while. You can probably find threads about those incidents here and information on the web. By and large, it seems most people do well, but there's no way to know what will happen in the event of a catastrophe until it happens. There are laws and protocols and emergency procedures, but most of them depend on people doing what they're told...

Comment

The pirate shoots the barrels of explosives and that takes care of those people.
            The ghosts all hitchhike with you and thus are safe from injury or life.
            The monorail stops and the people on it have to walk the track.
            People on the Matterhorn have to climb to the top of it and use Tinkerbell's zip line to get out of the park.
            Star Tours is simply reprogrammed so that guests think they have arrived at the Anaheim Hilton.
            "it's a small world" guests have to grab one figurine each and make a run for it out the back door.
            Any kid still holding an Astro Blaster is basically on his own.
            In case of a flood, any character in costume can be used as a flotation device.

Comment

I remember right after the Northridge quake, Channel 5 showed lines of people outside the Disneyland gates with all of their luggage. They had evacuated from the hotels, but were still planning on going into the parks.
              Originally posted by migo
              I poop with joy!
              Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

Originally posted by whillywhack View Post
                Do you know if restraints can be automatically released at a station? I'm sorry I'm so curious about this stuff :P
                I'm really not sure. There are some CMs on this board that could probably help you out. I'd imagine that if the fire alarms start going off, the restraints probably unlock, but I'm not sure. There are many downsides to a company being as colossal and corporate as Disney is, but safety is one of the areas that actually benefits, as far as I can tell. They can't take any chances with guests getting hurt. I wish I had more details to provide, but I'm sure they've thought through every contingency.

Comment

An Evacuation Stop usually unlocks all restraints and doors, and ideally a CM or other official will be able to direct the guests to the nearest exit.

Comment

Oh, you know, the usual. People would die, people would get hurt, babies would cry, adults would cry, there'd be a lot of pain and suffering, and people would view the inevitable YouTube videos across the country later with shouts of "wow, man, that was COOL!"

Comment

in case of a fire, I am sure that the buildings are equipped with sprinklers to prevent any major spread of a fire.
                      in case of an earthquake, i heard that all ride vehicles will stop. the brakes are held open using electric power, so as soon as power is cut, an e-brake/stop occurs. I am sure they can force such a thing if necessary, and for that reasoning, I am sure that an e-release on the restraints can be done from the station if required. Of course, I am sure that if such a system does exist, it would be only switched if absolutely required since if you just let people loose inside a show building, mass destruction can occur.

Procedures are in place for each ride to take care of different emergencies and not until they actually happen, the general public wont know what will occur.

Comment

Having the restraints unlock during a ride stop could be even more dangerous than a fire! Imagine if guests were running around inside Indiana Jones, with the potential to break legs and fall from great heights. Not safe.

From what I recall based on history, if a fire breaks out in an attraction the typical procedure is to cycle the attraction until all guests are safely out. No E-Stop and no unlocked restraints. Cycling empty is the quickest and safest way to get everyone out of an attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                          Having the restraints unlock during a ride stop could be even more dangerous than a fire! Imagine if guests were running around inside Indiana Jones, with the potential to break legs and fall from great heights. Not safe.
                          I would not want my restraints to release on Screamin or the Maliboomer either
                          Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

^They decieded a restraint release on the maliboomer was the fastest way to get guests out of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                              ^They decieded a restraint release on the maliboomer was the fastest way to get guests out of the park.
                              Can my scream shield be used as a flotation device in case I land in the bay?

Comment

Every building at DL that I've been in, I've seen fire sprinklers.

In the event of a power failure, most rides simply stop. Roller coaster rides will continue to go until the car reaches either a lift or the end of the ride. Then they'll stop as well. There are also automatic brakes at strategic locations so the car stops near an emergency exit. These things are all set up so that they don't need power to work.

In my opinion, releasing all of the safety bars at once would cause a far more serious hazard than one car at a time. Even in a fire.

There are emergency generators that will start automatically. The National Electrical Code requires that such systems produce power in less than 10 seconds. They won't run the whole park, but certainly will provide adequate lighting to exit any ride. They will also power the rides that are difficult to evacuate, but not the ones that are easy to get off of.

These systems are also required to be tested regularly, usually once a week.

If you look close, there are many emergency exits on almost all of the rides, especially the slow ones. Most of these can be seen only if you look back.

Like any other place where crowds are expected, there are building codes, fire department regulations, and a bunch of other procedures in place and practiced regularly to insure the safety of guests as well as CMs in just about any emergency.

Rob

Comment

All I know is that when we were evacuated from Cafe Orleans due to a fire alarm, it turned into a free meal. Score!!

Comment

In case of an emergency over water your scream sheild will automatically iniflate for you, do not assist children or those in need until your own scream sheild is properly fastened to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                                      In case of an emergency over water your scream sheild will automatically iniflate for you, do not assist children or those in need until your own scream sheild is properly fastened to you.
                                      :lmao:

Comment

What would happen in an emergency at Disneyland?
                                        You'll hear a message in English and Spanish letting you know how to evacuate .

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X