Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much money does Disneyland make in a day?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much money does Disneyland make in a day?

I know I read an article a while ago that said the DLR, which includes some non-Disney owned DTD businesses, but is mostly Disney sales (and of course they're getting rent from those businesses) has been in the neighborhood of 1 billion a year of retail and hotel sales for the last few years. This was based on sales and hotels taxes which are public record, but did not include park ticket revenue because that isn't taxed.

You could come up with an educated guess on the ticket revenue I'll try and give a conservative estimate based on the approximate nubmers I've hearn. If you say 21,000,000 clicks a year and you assume about half that goes to AP's you have about 10.5 million who probably payed at least $50 per day on average. So that's 525 million. Then you have the AP's. Lets say there are 850,000 APs and we'll just simplify this and say that the average price amongst the AP's based on their weighted average would probably be around $225. So that's another 191 million.

Then parking, lets say 12,000 cars per day, with and average cost of 10 dollars due to the AP's. That's another almost 44 million a year.

So if you add that all up you get 1b+525m+191m+44m=1.76 billion.

So you divide that daily and you get about 4.8 million per day. So that's my guess.

Comment

Thats a great estimate. Although I dont like the disney channel miley cyrus and the jo bros bring in A LOT of money

Comment

Originally posted by Usul831 View Post
        I was talking to my brother tonight about why Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea have had so much money invested in the parks. He said both parks make twice as much money per visitor selling merchandise compared to the state side parks.

I wonder if it's the same merchandise but people are just hungrier for it? Or do they have super pimpin' merch too??

Also, I'm sure a specific answer to this threads original Q can be found if you massage the numbers found in the Disney Co. annual report.
        Im not sure if people are hungrier for the merchandise? I was at TDR Fall 08 and I can say their merchandise is way better then what you can get in the states an at Disney Paris(back in 1998) They offer so much, stuff you can't get in the states.

Just one thing I was amazed at, was at outdoor vending place, you can buy something sweet, it is given to you in a cute cup or collector plate, which you can then take home with you. Sort of like the popcorn buckets, but way nicer.

TDR even gives you a guide to the latest foods and merchandise when you get your park maps. Smart thinking, let guest know where to spend more money if they want too.

What I don't get is why the state side parks, sell the same stuff? If Disney wants to make more money or cut cost in other areas and still make the same amount. Why not sell things that are park specific. Create that want in their shopper guest to see all the parks to get what ever merchandise they offer. I was so disappointed in WDW last year when I could buy the same thing there as I could at DLR.

Maybe Disney doesn't need the money and thats why they same stuff are at the states side parks.
        Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
        Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
        :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Originally posted by UbIwerks View Post
          and they only own majority shares in the Hong Kong park (something like 52% I thought) rather than The Walt Disney Company owning it outright - correct?
          no they actually only own 49%. the hong kong government is the majority shareholder with 51%

but you were close.

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
            What I don't get is why the state side parks, sell the same stuff? If Disney wants to make more money or cut cost in other areas and still make the same amount. Why not sell things that are park specific. Create that want in their shopper guest to see all the parks to get what ever merchandise they offer. I was so disappointed in WDW last year when I could buy the same thing there as I could at DLR.

Maybe Disney doesn't need the money and thats why they same stuff are at the states side parks.
            Thats the Jay Rasulo "DISNEY PARKS" mentality. save parks in merchandise production by buying everything in bulks for the stateside parks. The problem is that places like Anaheim were many of the guests are repeat visitors do not buy much of these items. So what happens is that it is then sold to third party vendors to sell at discounts. Either way they still make some profit out of the items but not as much as they could have

Comment

They have a discount Disney store in Vegas so I'm guessing some of this stuff goes there

Comment

There's a discount Disney store in Fullerton, very close to the park. It's where leftover merchandise goes to die.

I always wonder what expenses the park accrues in a day. Just the electric bill alone must be horrendous, even at the discount rate I think they still get. Insurance, labor, supplies...

Comment

well even going out everyday to maintance the rides and pull light bulbs everywhere theres a lot to do

Comment

Just a mention about merchandise sales re: the Tokyo Parks. While they may have better merchandise, the increased revenue has a lot to do with cultural factors. Japanese etiquette requires the purchasing of gifts for literally everyone you know.

Comment

Originally posted by UbIwerks View Post
                      Just a mention about merchandise sales re: the Tokyo Parks. While they may have better merchandise, the increased revenue has a lot to do with cultural factors. Japanese etiquette requires the purchasing of gifts for literally everyone you know.
                      Very true. From what I have read, that is why you will find all kinds of tins with cookie or candy inside. Which I found interesting, because there was a store on main street that had this huge check out area. I though I was at Cost Co or something. lol When I first saw it in the morning, I though it was a big area and later at night I understand why it was so big. The line was long, people were gathering things to take home.

I also think that is why they have such a huge selection of cell phone charms. Something guest can take home, small enough to travel with and I think the cost is low enough you could buy many with out braking the bank. There were walls of cell phone charms, pretty cool.

I could be wrong or out of date, does't Disneyland create its own power or at least part of it? If so that would help to keep their daily cost down.

What I have always wondered is, what does Disney pays in taxes alone? You know its a huge amount. Plus the whole resort fee thing, which I think the city or state gets part of that. Uncle Sam has got to love the Disney parks. Taxes on sale items and then the employment tax. Not only do the CM pay a tax, but Disney has to pay taxes on what the CM earn, just like any other company.
                      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

I've heard the Magic Kingdom makes about 3 truckfuls of money in a day and they place it behind Splash Mountain. Not sure if this is a rumor though.

Blizzard Beach and Typhoon should be counted as they make a ton of money. A TON.

one hundred and one

Comment

Disney 3rd quarter profit falls 26 percent due to tough global economy.

Thats 3rd quarter earnings.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                          Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                            So if that's by quarter Disney parks does about $30 million a day or are my calculations wrong?
                            -Jack :geek:
                            Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                              I've heard the Magic Kingdom makes about 3 truckfuls of money in a day and they place it behind Splash Mountain. Not sure if this is a rumor though.

Blizzard Beach and Typhoon should be counted as they make a ton of money. A TON.
                              Thanks for crunching those numbers for us

Comment

Originally posted by ryanvalle View Post
                                85,000 guests on peak days
                                Just a weeeee bit too high there.

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                                  The article is in error, that was the second quarter earnings.

I have read that ABC's earnings are poor this year due to much lower advertising rates. No doubt that represents a great deal of the lower earnings.
                                  Crazy Works For Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
                                    What I have always wondered is, what does Disney pays in taxes alone? You know its a huge amount. Plus the whole resort fee thing, which I think the city or state gets part of that. Uncle Sam has got to love the Disney parks. Taxes on sale items and then the employment tax. Not only do the CM pay a tax, but Disney has to pay taxes on what the CM earn, just like any other company.
                                    Yes, we do pay for a lot of Disney's taxes. Actually, we all do. Whenever we buy something from it. From our after-tax dollars.
                                    I mean, where do you think they get that money to pay taxes from?

Comment

Originally posted by Kasey View Post
                                      The article is in error, that was the second quarter earnings.
                                      Actually, calendar second quarter = Disney's fiscal third quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                                        So if that's by quarter Disney parks does about $30 million a day or are my calculations wrong?
                                        That's about what I got too; $30,555,555/day!!! And that's after a 9% drop!
                                        My dad was a math teacher and wrote to Disneyland asking a similar question as the OP. He said that the class was trying to estimate the cost of running the park. He got a letter saying that the requested info was not available for release. But he also got a big package of fact sheets on the park. Very interesting stuff dated 1994.
                                        Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                          Thanks for crunching those numbers for us
                                          I LOL'd at that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X