Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Disneyland mean so much to you?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whamo
    replied
    Re: Why does Disneyland mean so much to you?

Disneyland, at first, was a television show, in black-and-white, that I used to watch every Sunday. I especially enjoyed the opening segment they played every week. I was in awe of Walt Disney. I was only three when my dad, a starving sportswriter/editor, drove the old Buick to Disneyland on opening day. We got free tickets, otherwise we couldn't afford it. I remember the free Crackerjack boxes, the soft asphalt on the parking lot (your feet actually sunk), Walt's opening day speech, the opening of the gate. We would return many times in the 50's, whenever we got free tickets. I have fond memories of my father taking me around the park (RIP). Everybody, including my father, was saying Disneyland would be a failure on opening day. Hardly any of the rides worked, this and that. But I knew differently. I loved it. So did everybody else, eventually. Now, retired, in my second childhood, I've been returning to Disneyland about once a month for four years. I still love it as much, if not more, than on opening day, back in 1955.

Leave a comment:

• findingmickey
    replied

because my wife tells me that it is.

Leave a comment:

• tamasurvivor
    replied

Originally posted by Usul831 View Post
    Going to Disneyland is like going on a religous pilgrimage to find my long lost youthful optimisim and creativity. It recharges my soul battery better than almost any other destnation.
    You kinda hit the nail on the head there! Disneyland means a lot to me because I have had memories of visiting the park ever since I was a baby! And while I may not recall the exact things that happened at age 1 and stuff... I was there when I was 2 years old and have some wild memories of riding the people mover, riding the skyway, visiting other things inside the park, and seeing Mickey Mouse for my first time!

Then it became and every year thing to go ahead an visit the park and to be honest, despite the fact we were local to the SoCal area at the time we never became Annual Passholders until I was 14 and 15. I dont want to open ths into an annual passholder vs. non AP debate because both have their pros and cons but my personal opinion is that my image of the park was preserved by only visiting the park once a year and that in essence made our one day there every year a very special thing that could not be done all the time. Disneyland means a lot to me and while at the moment I am having a hard time affording Disney trips [my sister is out of work at the moment and im covering the whole rent payment] I know that somehow things will pull through and I will be there again in the park and enjoying it again to make my visit... Though my last trip has been a while and this year we kinda opted to just do Haunt and make that our Cali trip but then again 2010 holds World of Color and a few other milestones for the parks and so as a result I have already decided I have to find some way to make it out to the parks again.

And sometimes we obviously went to visit twice a year when we lived in Cali but the major milestones I remember with the park in my lifetime... That one parade with the big Disney Character Balloons and millions of bits of confetti all over mainstreet, The opening of the Indiana Jones Adventure which we waited 3 hours for, The Farewell of the Main Street Electrical Parade from Disneyland, Tomorrowland 1998, Fantasmic's opening year, The closing of the Skyway and People Mover, Waiting 90 minutes for the Rocket Rods at park opening, The Rocket Jets on top of the platform, The Submarine Voyage, The opening of Haunted Mansion Holiday and Small World Holiday, The opening of DCA, The building of the parking lot into DCA, Going to visit DCA on my 13th or 14th Birthday and Riding Splash Mountain for the first time and crying from the drop which I thought was vertical at the time.... So many milestones and memories in the park

Out of the years I grew up in SoCal, we held passes for 2 years when I was 14 and 15 and Then when our passes expired at age 16 we moved out here to AZ and the Disney trips became fewer and basically reverted back to once ever year and or even two years depending on how quickly I could save up my points to cover the hotel and all the new expenses Disney trips now incur without us being only 15 miles from the parks. Still we are pretty good on cutting those other costs down and doing our best to make it out as much as we can but living 365 miles away means it takes almost a day of driving just to get there.

But again, Disneyland means a lot to me.... there are so many memories I have in the parks and I could seriously write a book about all the different experiences I have had there.

Leave a comment:

• disneyfan_87
    replied

Disney means a lot to me... I spent a lot of time with my family we always had the best time there. its our escape from the real world and times are tough now. it is the best place to forget everything.

Leave a comment:

• Usul831
    replied

Going to Disneyland is like going on a religous pilgrimage to find my long lost youthful optimisim and creativity. It recharges my soul battery better than almost any other destnation.

Leave a comment:

• micahglitters
    replied

i looove these kinds of threads. i love that micechat is a place where we can all sort of revel in the magic. it seems as though for most of us the magic is kind of healing, even if just for a day.

thank you kaylas for posting this!!!

Leave a comment:

• cakvalasc
    replied

Disneyland means so much to me because a new life started for me on the first day I was in the park.

Leave a comment:

• sunrider
    replied

for me its the ability to leave my adult self behind forget my problems for 3-4 days i love it for that i thak god for it, i can be a pirate, go inside a HM, and even hear fish talk (if i feel inclined) its the ultimate escape from what ever problems you have,and when you come back to reality..you feel refreshed and can tackle what everl ife throws at you with renwed youthful charm..every year or so i need to go to get that recharge...

Leave a comment:

• jsdmn2
    replied

micahglitters, omigoodness, that is going to make me cry too..... That's probably the sweetest thing I've heard!

I love DL because I get to be a kid. Growing up, I didn't get to be a kid too much because my family struggled financially. Also, my son is 8 and still believes in the princesses and gets sooooo shy around them when they show him attention. So cute! He'll be too old soon and this stuff will be "uncool" so I savor every moment in DL with my family.

Leave a comment:

• kaylas
    replied

With the economy the way it is I just want to live in that one day at the park forever. No worries about money or problems at home. I can only wish apon a star

Leave a comment:

• micahglitters
    replied

disneyland was always the place where i could be the child in my family, not my parents. it was also the place where my mom would get really magical, "i dont know when the next time we'll be here will be so i saved money and we can do whatever you want!"

but it think the turning point was when i was 18 and visiting the park with a friend. it was getting late and we hopped onto the monorail. there was a family of four (mom, dad, and two boys) and both boys looked about ready to fall asleep and were both wearing peter pan hats and carrying swords. i listened in just in time to realize that they were sharing what wishes they had made earlier in the park. and the dad said (sooooo gently), "you know what i wished for? i wished that every day could be as perfect as this one has been."

oh my god, it still makes me cry every time i think about it. it was so sweet and so genuine and that cant happen anywhere else. that's my wish too. i think that's all of our wish.

<3

Leave a comment:

• kaylas
    replied

aww that's the sweetest thing. congrats. I love the feeling and the music.

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied

Originally posted by kaylas View Post
    Does anybody have great stories about a time they were at Disneylsnd?

Back in March I got to take my high school crush to Disneyland about 20 years after daydreaming of what the day would be like.

The finest time I've ever had there, without a doubt. We're still together and have been going almost every weekend since.

Leave a comment:

• ASC
    replied

For me it's little land to call my own plus it......is.......AWESOME!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• kaylas
    replied

Does anybody have great stories about a time they were at Disneylsnd?

Leave a comment:

• kaylas
    replied

sounds like a great time to go, less crowded I bet

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

It's beautiful at Christmas with all the decorations but I don't think it necessarily makes it more magical. I saw the candlelight procession in 1978 and that was really nice, but the rest of the park is basically the same thing as always. I think the most beautiful the park gets is in March and April with a profusion of flowers. On the first sunny day after a rainstorm in March has cleared out, Disneyland sparkles like at no other time.
    Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kaylas
    replied

Everytime is just added memories. I love the warm feeling. Does Christmas time make it more magical?

Leave a comment:

• calakutha
    replied

Originally posted by wvnative View Post
    I don't know that there's really any one reason. It's all the little things added up together. My favorite part though is probably that it's never an issue. The kid almost always wants to go and there's no argueing. We can go, have a great time, get away from life, work, and school for a few days and come home feeling refreshed and ready to face it all again. I guess it sort of puts the joy back in the world for me. lol
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. It really is a lot of different things current and past, memories that you bring with you and those that you are reminded of only when you're there and you can embrace them, once again. It's a reminder that magic (real or prepackaged) does exist somewhere, you just have to look for it.

Leave a comment:

• wvnative
    replied

I don't know that there's really any one reason. It's all the little things added up together. My favorite part though is probably that it's never an issue. The kid almost always wants to go and there's no argueing. We can go, have a great time, get away from life, work, and school for a few days and come home feeling refreshed and ready to face it all again. I guess it sort of puts the joy back in the world for me. lol

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X