Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better (more magical) not to have an AP?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it better (more magical) not to have an AP?

Originally posted by willsingforfood View Post
    I absolutely LOVE my AP. I've had one for almost a year and a half and I've gone about 15 or 20 times. I still cry every single time I watch a fireworks show. I think it just depends on if you're the kind of person who gets enjoyment out of doing something regularly. Do you like to re-watch movies, or can you listen to the same CD several times in a week? If yes, then an AP is a great investment, but if not, then don't.
    Does this apply to me if I listened to a remix of Grim Grinning Ghosts on repeat for 30 minutes straight today?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Comment

I'm from out of town but I've done a trip where I was there long enough to have an annual pass. It's nice as others have said, to take things easy, to not feel the pressure of cramming everything into a few days. It's nice to enjoy the ambience, not feeling like every minute must be devoted to getting onto another ride.

Having said that, even going annually has proven to be more than enough for me. I've alternated Anaheim and Orlando the last four years, and I'm pretty content. I still love it, it always feels like I've come "home", but I do feel that the novelty, the "magic" has worn off just a teensy bit. I don't feel like going weekly or monthly would be necesscary. There's definately a feeling of been there, done that, even with "merely" going on an annual basis.

So I think there's benefits to being a regular (it's more relaxed) and an infrequent visitor (perhaps it can feel more exciting, more of a novelty).

I probably won't be back until 2011, and I'm fine with that, but I might feel differently in a month, when the itch returns...
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I'll put in another good word for getting an AP. =3 I've got the personality type that loves familiar things. Getting my good money's worth out of the APs I've bought over the past two years has caused the park to have a real homey feeling for me. And I like that.

Before my pass (which I got when I was 17) my family only went to DLR probably a total of five or six times. I know I went once when I was four, and probably another time or two before I turned 10.. We went to DCA for a couple of birthdays, and perhaps DL a couple other times... My point is, we didn't go very much. And even though I thoroughly enjoyed every trip I took, I never really thought of Disneyland as ZOMGspecial. It was a great and unique theme park, but in the end.. it was just a great and unique theme park.

But now that I go about two to three times every month, Disneyland is like my home base when it comes to parks. I feel comfortable there. It's got a personal significance for me - like, "This is my park, I know it inside and out!" And since Disneyland is inherently cooler than any shopping mall or normal hang-out spot (just on principle), this translates into a really awesome warm and fuzzy feeling.

Plus, my AP lets me and my friend do things like this - Come to the park early afternoon and sit in the DCA animation building lobby for two and a half hours just drawing, then go on Indy and Space Mountain to see the new additions to the rides, get some dinner at the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney, come back to the park, stake out a fantastic spot on Main Street for the fireworks, then people watch for the next two hours until the fireworks starts, perhaps getting some good gesture drawings in while we're at it.

We made some pretty awesome sketches last Friday indeed.

Comment

Totally depends on the person. It's as simple as that. Personally, I'm very glad I didn't get to go more than once every two or three years for more entire childhood - it made the park a special and mysterious privilege. It was the polar opposite of my everyday world in which I was familiar with everything. Disneyland felt like a truly magical place where there was always something new to do, and where every moment had to be savored because I didn't know when I'd get to experience it again.

Now, as a young adult who doesn't have an AP but certainly goes more often than he did as a child, I definitely feel differently about the park. It's much more familiar. I can walk through (or fly over!) most of the park in my head. I memorize the music, down to what notes individual instruments are playing at specific points on the track for Space Mountain. I remember the HM spiel. I know what scenes are coming next in Indiana Jones. Not much can surprise me in the park anymore, so I feel like I've lost something that I once held very precious. But at the same time, I've gained so much in terms of knowledge about and appreciation for the park in all its glorious detail. It's a different way of experiencing the place.

I'm glad I've gotten to experience both in my life, but I do wonder if buying an AP would push me over the edge into too much familiarity with the park. For some people it does, and for some people it doesn't, and I'm sure the only way to be positive which applies to you is to try.

Comment

Being an APer is a little like some marriages. Its hot, then boring, then familiar and comforting.

Micenation

Comment

:lol: Nice analogy. Though I hope to skip the "boring" phase as much as possible in both...

Comment

I'm happy to say I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST AP TODAY!!! AHHH!!! SO EXCITED!

I live in San Jose, and I usually go to DL at least 4-5 times a year, I figure I'm spending 180 for two days, 430 is a good deal. Plus the misc discounts you get everywhere helps too.

Financially it makes sense.

If anything, having an AP, I hope, will enhance my experience. I can worry less about how many days I use, and more on enjoying the park, not just cramming everything into a day. I can take it slow. Knowing I don't have to pay an extra day or something.

If I lived in Anaheim or LA, and I went every other weekend, I think the magic would wear off a little bit, but I'd still have the excitement obviously. Living in San Jose, it gives me the oppurtunity to go when I want, but living far, I can only go so many times...it works out.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X