This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Splash Mountain Soundtrack

I have been listening to the Splash Mountain soundtrack off of "A Musical History of Disneyland," and I noticed that the song before the lift hill is different on the soundtrack than it is in Disneyland today.

On the soundtrack the song goes "Sooner or Later that Rabbit is gunna come home" ... "Matter of Factly I don't know exactly" ...

Nowadays, the soundtrack is the dark themed, depressing song sung by the Possum and the Mother Rabbit.

Was there a change in the soundtrack at one point? Are the songs different between Disney parks?

Re: Splash Mountain Soundtrack

You are absolutly right. It used to play "Sooner or Later" which was sung by Hattie McDaniel of "Gone With the Wind" fame on the motion picture soundtrack. They changed the song into an original song made for the ride (for whatever reason) into a darker version of "Everybody's got a Laughing Place."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Drunk Dave @ DL View Post
      You are absolutly right. It used to play "Sooner or Later" which was sung by Hattie McDaniel of "Gone With the Wind" fame on the motion picture soundtrack. They changed the song into an original song made for the ride (for whatever reason) into a darker version of "Everybody's got a Laughing Place."
      About when did this happen? I actually like both songs, but definitely prefer the darker one used now. The "Sooner or Later" instrumental music can be still be heard in the queue line.
      Last edited by GhostHost2; 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

There is a twenty minute track in circulation with Burrow's Lament in it. I believe Sooner or Later was more or less removed or rejected for the attraction or soundtrack because it more or less didn't mix or match.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
          There is a twenty minute track in circulation with Burrow's Lament in it. I believe Sooner or Later was more or less removed or rejected for the attraction or soundtrack because it more or less didn't mix or match.
          Burrow's Lament is the song used in the Official albums now. The boxed set used the Sooner or Later version to showcase an "alternate version," since the other was already circulating.

as for why it was changed, from what I read online, apparently Sooner or Later only lasted the first year because it wasn't foreboding enough.
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I haven't heard the original, but I love the Burrows Lament...I'm all for cheerfulness, but it's nice to have a little more musical variety in an attraction! It's really a delightfully ominous music loop, especially once you're on the lift with just the orchestral part playing.

Comment

Both versions are beautiful pieces of music, but I have to agree that the original simply did not carry the sense of foreboding that the ride itself does at that point. It's dark, you know the big drop is coming, Brer Rabbit has been caught... it needed something darker. So I'm glad they changed the music for this segment.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Burrow's Lament has been in the attraction since it opened. Sooner or Later was cut around the time the decision was made to redesign the logs.

Comment

Although I do like the version that they first had, the one they have now is a lot better. The one before was a little too cheery and light-hearted.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

Sooner or later is too happy. Burrows lamet all the way.
                    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

Comment

I find the current song in that section sung by Mother Rabbit and the Possum to be very slow and not that enjoyable. haha

Comment

I read somewhere why the change of heart
                        Isn't it described in the box set?
                        I thought it was.
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

Found this on wikia (not always correct info)

Burrow's Lament is heard, but is not sung at Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland (since the scene where it is sung is absent of audio-animatronics in both rides), but is sung at Disneyland by a mother opossum and mother rabbit animatronic.

Splash Mountain - The DisneyWiki

Back in 2006 Mouse Info had this posted about the song:

Disney Joe: If I remember correctly, wasn't "Sooner or Later" taken out right after the ride opened? Everytime I rode it, it was "Burrow's Lament". Maybe it's just my bad memory though....

socalguy: Correct.
                          Sooner or Later lasted only through Splash's soft opening. Only those of us who rode it during that time would have heard the song.
                          Quote by Al:
                          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                          -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
                            I find the current song in that section sung by Mother Rabbit and the Possum to be very slow and not that enjoyable. haha
                            Whether or not it's enjoyable for you is your call, but it's not slow...its tempo is quite moderate.

Comment

So no one has a video of this?
                              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I guess my memory serves me poorly but I seemed to think that it was kind of slow when compared to the rest of the ride. Maybe its just too whiney, maybe I'm thinking of a diffrent part of the ride.. haha

Comment

I have to go with "Sooner or Later." If I went off on a jaunt and got myself into some type of desperate pickle, I would like to think that the home-folks were keeping the faith and expecting me to show up again "sooner or later." I'd just hate to see my deeds wind up serving as a cautionary tale and warning to the youth, as depicted.

It's really not a cheery, peppy song; it's prayerful. That's the main difference between the two songs: prayerful vs. preachy.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                    Whether or not it's enjoyable for you is your call, but it's not slow...its tempo is quite moderate.
                                    But it is slower than Everybody's Got a Laughing Place, which is the song it's adapted from. Maybe that's what TrevorD is noticing...

Comment

Well, their tempi are very similar. The borrowed melody has been slowed to half the speed in the lament, but there's plenty of other stuff going on in the song. It's not that slow.

Comment

Originally posted by BoogaFrito View Post
                                        But it is slower than Everybody's Got a Laughing Place, which is the song it's adapted from. Maybe that's what TrevorD is noticing...
                                        This is exactly what I mean. Furthermore the music is more "whiney" and although it definitly fits the mood of the scene, I'm just not a fan. I feel it drags.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X