This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Zorro Stunt Show in the old Festival of Fools area

OK, so I've often tried to think of something they could put in the Festival area that would be relevant and modern and fit thematically with Frontierland. I always thought that the Feast of Fools didn't work thematically where it was even though it was an awesome show. Everything I thought of was something that has been done or had some politically correct problems. Then it hit me, put in a Zorro Stunt show. Redo the whole theater to be like the stage for the show Zorro and there would be sword fighting and cannons and guns. Maybe if they designed the theater right they could even have them racing in on horses and things like that. Thanks to the newer Zorro movies the story is still known by kids and adults alike and it dodges the PC bullet that is any depiction of the old west. Nothing offensive for anybody. Even if kids didn't know the story I bet they would love the sword fights and everything. They could even do a progression story like the Laughing Stock Co. does. Like, the morning show is meeting Zorro, the afternoon is him wooing Esperanza and the final show of the day is his big face off with the governor.... something like that.

Another thought I had, Big Thunder BBQ would make a lot more sense next to BTMRR. So you could switch it with Rancho Del Zocalo and then it would flow a lot better. The menu for RDZ is also very uninspiring. You can get better Mexican food for cheaper just about anywhere in Ca, AZ, NV or NM. They could use the move as time to re-vamp the menu and get some food in there that would be worth the price. Just think of it. A beautiful Spanish style plaza which has the new and improved Restaurant that has benches and trees in the waiting area for the theater which then goes under colonnades into the seating area with the fort look from the show.

It would be a great show with classic Disney roots that is also applicable to all ages and would be able to age without seeming dated. The story of Zorro is an American legend specific to the western frontier and it's a timeless tale of adventure. It would fit with the land and best of all, it has no teeny boppers, nothing PIXAR and no cheap movie tie-ins. However Disney could make a line of extremely cool merchandise to go along with it.

So, I put it out to you Mice Chatters: Good Idea? Bad Idea? Can anyone think of anything I miss. What does everybody think of it as an concept?
    Yes, I love Zorro.
    40.91%
    No, It doesn't work I don't like it
    18.18%
    Yes, but only because I hate it being empty
    40.91%
    Last edited by Queentitania19; 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM.
    sigpic
    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Re: Zorro Stunt Show in the old Festival of Fools area

I like it!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

I agree with the RDZ move.
      The food (IMHO) went down at least 4 years ago.
      You use to be able to get a huge sampler plate for a good price.
      Also had the best corn bread.
      Then the went and changed it.

I do agree the old festival area needs changing
      just not sure about Zorro as a replacement, but your idea was good.
      I think Disney right now rents that out for private parties and I'm not sure Disney is willing to let go of the $$ they get from private parties to go back to an non revenue area (unless the put store there...and that's the last thing I want to see...I know they need to make money, but we have enough stores that sell the same merchandise. If it was themed to the area, quality items, and no other "lands" merchandise, I might be more open to it)
      At the same time, I could be totally wrong and the Zorro idea could totally fit in that area.
      Quote by Al:
      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
      -Al Lutz

Comment

I give this idea a...

A thematically-appropriate character tie-in? How often does that happen???

Comment

Thanks Mark Twain!

DL, I know Zorro isn't exactly the first thing that pops to mind with Frontierland but I've been wracking my brain trying to think of things that would fit in that space and be theme appropriate that wouldn't get harpooned by the PC police. Let's face it most depictions of the old west just don't work anymore. If they play down the seriousness of the war between settlers and Native Americans it's insensitive and not something we should teach our kids. If we depict it realistically it's too gritty and serious for a theme park. You just can't win. I think that is why that property has sat empty for so long (that and the fact that they make money off of private parties) but I always complain about the wasted real estate that could be used for a new show or just anything instead of an empty old dusty theater. I kind of felt hypocritical because I couldn't think of anything that they could do... that is how I arrived at this idea.
          sigpic

Comment

There had been some rumors of a Lone Ranger show there if the movie happens and does well. Personally, while I would like to see that space used, I feel like everybody does western stunt shows and Disney should do something different. Although, I admit Zorro could make a really good show. Zorro would have also worked well in DCA if they had an appropriate land for it.

Comment

Funny thing is, just last night my wife brought home pre-release promo copies if the two Complete Zorro sets from this year's Disney Treasure DVD collections.
              As I saw the first shot of the old 'Pueblo Los Angeles' I turned to my wife and said :"Frontierland!" I would love to see Zorro in the park.
              First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
              First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
              BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

I love this idea. Actually, that's an understatement. I adore Zorro and miss him a lot lately in the modern film era - I think he'd fit perfectly in Frontierland and a show could be brilliant.

If only...
                carrying bottled skies around
                twitter.com/equustel

Comment

Unfortunately, Universal has the rights to Zorro, and Zorro is in fact a meet and greet character at USH. I know Disney did a TV show about Zorro but it is way too similar to Universal's Antonio Banderas version, and I am sure that Disney doesn't want to bother with all the time and legal issues that this would involve.

Comment

Well I do think of Zorro when I think Disney and old west.
                    but I also think California cause it takes place in the village of LosAngeles (that just sounds funny ) it could do good in DCA too
                    I am Scary Scott,
                    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                    Originally posted by Karalora
                    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

"Out of the night, when the full moon is bright..."

Great idea. To a lot of us Zorro is a Disney memory.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                        Unfortunately, Universal has the rights to Zorro, and Zorro is in fact a meet and greet character at USH. I know Disney did a TV show about Zorro but it is way too similar to Universal's Antonio Banderas version, and I am sure that Disney doesn't want to bother with all the time and legal issues that this would involve.

How did Universal get the rights if Disney had them first? Disney's Zorro predates Universals by what, 40 years?? Not to mention there are like 5 other Zorro movies out there. I got the impression that it was in the public domain. After all, Disney is releasing the Zorro TV show on DVD so they have to have the rights to it. So if they put it in the parks as a Zorro TV show they have the rights to that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                          I know Disney did a TV show about Zorro but it is way too similar to Universal's Antonio Banderas version, and I am sure that Disney doesn't want to bother with all the time and legal issues that this would involve.
                          Sony Pictures actually released 'The Mask of Zorro' in 1998 and 'The Legend of Zorro' in 2005, produced by Steven Spielberg's long-time Universal Pictures-based Amblin' Entertainment.

Disney owns the rights to their original series and obviously the home entertainment product releases.

If USH has a meet&greet character they must be paying for that privilege.

Zorro Productions controls the licensing for the character:
                          Zorro Productions Inc., incorporated in 1986, controls the worldwide trademarks and copyrights in the name, visual likeness and the character of Zorro. The brand is represented worldwide by over thirty-five licensing agents for all media and ancillary products. John Gertz, president, has been guiding the brand for over thirty years through major films, television, stage productions, publishing projects and promotions in addition to hundreds of licensed products. The corporate offices are located in Berkeley, California.

http://www.zorro.com/about.html
                          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                            OK, so I've often tried to think of something they could put in the Festival area that would be relevant and modern and fit thematically with Frontierland. I always thought that the Feast of Fools didn't work thematically where it was even though it was an awesome show. Everything I thought of was something that has been done or had some politically correct problems. Then it hit me, put in a Zorro Stunt show.
                            Very well thought out. Even if I'm not a fan of Zorro, per se.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                              Sony Pictures actually released 'The Mask of Zorro' in 1998 and 'The Legend of Zorro' in 2005, produced by Steven Spielberg's long-time Universal Pictures-based Amblin' Entertainment.

Disney owns the rights to their original series and obviously the home entertainment product releases.

If USH has a meet&greet character they must be paying for that privilege.

Zorro Productions controls the licensing for the character:

http://www.zorro.com/about.html

Thanks Aliasd, that is very interesting. I wonder what the extent of Disney's rights are. I'm sure if they really wanted to Disney could finesse the rights to the character for a show. By the way, you didn't tell me what you thought of the concept. Even if it's not the most probable due to rights and licensing.
                              sigpic

Comment

The concept is one that has been mentioned here before and does makes sense. Whether the costs for rights and production also make sense is another story. I'd guess they'll continue to take the rental $$$ for the site and wait & see on future studio properties (perhaps 'The Lone Ranger') that hopefully succeed down the road.

BTW - Disney legend Floyd Norman has some very cool photos taken on the Disney backlot (he tells of sneaking onto the set during lunch & afternoon breaks to secretly take 'em) during the production of the 'Zorro' series at his site:

Mr.fun

mr.fun
                                "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I think this would be an excellent idea. I know there used to be a Zorro character in Frontierland, and before California Adventure opened, an instrumental arrangement of the Zorro theme music played in the Esplanade. So there is precedent. And it would add some more Spanish/Mexican cultural flavor to the area--right now the restaurant is it, and people don't normally think of restaurants when remembering the Disney magic.
                                  Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

While it would be fun I question if the space is better as a show, or as multiple attractions...

Frontierland could use a show but it desperately needs several attractions. The only "land" based attraction left is Big Thunder Mountain If it came down to show vs redevelopment I would chose redevelopment. I would LOVE to see a new Cascade Peak with a Geyser Mine Shaft attraction, a Carlsbad Caverns inspired tunnel for the Steam Trains, a boat flume based on WRE and a reduced Mine Train for families with small children. Someone else even mentioned a bathtub/geyser type attraction similar to teacups that sounded like a LOT of fun.

So in that space you could either have 1 show... or 1 landmark, 3-4 new attractions and 1 additional tunnel for Steam Trains. You also have other options including a rock/mineral shop with geode cutting and a pan for gold area (which might also work well in DCA near Grizzly River Run).
                                    Last edited by techskip; 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM.
                                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                                      and people don't normally think of restaurants when remembering the Disney magic.
                                      Unless its the Tahitian Terance or Club 33,
                                      or in my case Bengal Barbeque for being cheap and good
                                      I am Scary Scott,
                                      Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                                      I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                                      Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                                      Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                                      Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                                      Originally posted by Karalora
                                      This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                                      Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                                      Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

R...r...rock and mineral shop? Like, a shop dedicated to that sort of thing, rather than just a little bin where you pick through tumbled stones for $6 worth of ones you don't hate? In Disneyland?

Where do I sign up?

(Me <--something of a rockhound)
                                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X